It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Most Isolated Man on the Planet

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Messiah_Tooth_Fairy
WHOA, WAIT A MINUTE!!

Ya know, since according to the faith he is living in total sin by being NAKED!!
[edit on 20-8-2010 by Messiah_Tooth_Fairy]

They were naked in the beginning. It was Adam and Eve who wanted clothes put on.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arkady
When I read this I was overwhelmed by a strange feeling that somehow this man is incredibly important to all of us.

That's because of your need to attach some sort of significance your mind is telling you this should inspire in you. There is nothing significant in this than a thousand other native tribes being wiped out. He is no more special than the homeless guy you walk past in the subway. Every life is special in it's own way. Just because he is the last of his kind or lives in the jungle with bows and arrows only makes him different from us.

But all that aside it's an interesting existence all the same. Not for me but to each his own.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arkady
reply to post by boondock-saint

Not really. It was just a wierd sensation that somehow he's important.
I don't really know,

he knows more about "being alive" than any of us.

(so important for collective consciousness indeed)

[edit on 20-8-2010 by ::.mika.::]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
He probably looks at us like we are an alien species that resembles him with "magic" technology and "flying creatures". He may not even have a clue that we are native to the same planet; possibly thinking the "flying things" are descending from the heavens. No telling what he thinks of us. Imagine the legends he has heard about the white man when he was a child. I am almost positive he thinks we are magic; there is probably no way he can explain to himself the logging equipment he has witnessed cutting down the forests. I bet it is easier for him to communicate with the local wildlife than it is for him to communicate with outsiders. I don't think he would speak words anymore, possibly just grunts and yells. Maybe a stray word here and there.

Kinda like a real life, present day Mowgli. Reminds me of Appocalypto of sorts.
Most interesting thing I have learned and read all week. I'm so intrigued by how this man acts, communicates, hunts, etc; basically how this man lives life without human contact; the dangerous animal encounters and battles he has experienced. This is movie material says MilkMustache.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
reply to post by facelift

I was just thinking how this guy would react
to seeing a computer screen or a cell phone?
I can't imagine being this isolated from society.
And he lives by the rule of the jungle. Survive
or die. Get your own food or you starve.
It's amazing to me

You're so completely retarded to think this person would react to a cell phone any differently from the first time you saw one, and to think you know what life in the jungle is like.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by milkmustache

or he sees us as people that are destroying everthing they touch (the forest), that have completely lost touch with Reality and he really and consciously doesn't want to participate to this mess.

you shall think out of the box and not underestimate his intelligence to try to imagine his frame of mind

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Messiah_Tooth_Fairy
WHOA, WAIT A MINUTE!!

PERHAPS one of our fine Bible Thumpers of the forums could go out there and drop the man off a Christian Bible and a robe to wear!!

Ya know, since according to the faith he is living in total sin by being NAKED!!

Also he is CURSED for not attending Church on Sundays as he is not singing and "praising" the invisible sky God.

And DOOMED is he for all ETERNITY IN HELL to suffer and BURN forever because he hasn't heard or ACCEPTED some guy named JESUS yet!!

In addition, he is probably SINNING by "spilling his seed in the ground" every once in a while due to lack of physical intimacy with a wife...

Come on now, go and SAVE this guy!! The rest of us could use the break from hearing about "scripture" on the forums!!!

ONE-WAY tickets can be had for a good price!!

[edit on 20-8-2010 by Messiah_Tooth_Fairy]

i think he'd be better off with islam.

set up a madrassa and mosque with a big shiny minerett.

maybe a pool?

total suicide bomber material.

[edit on 20-8-2010 by fooks]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I hope he stays safe. I'm going to burn some tobacco for him tonight. I'm going to pray to our Creator Son-kwa-ia-to-son and ask that he protect him.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Leave him be.
Perhaps he is there for a reason.
Modern society is a failure as it Is.
'Folks' know this though continue to ignore the facts.
Nature is as close to the Creator one could achieve.

Off topic though, so be it: apex

[edit on 20-8-2010 by Perseus Apex]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
The way he lives his life stirs something within me....

People were asking about what that hole in his house could be?

Many peoples around the world use holes into the Earth for their shamanic journeys. Perhaps he made one in his house so that he can enter the spirit underworld. Shamans do this to communicate with the spirits of the Earth and learn amazing things from them, and also to meet their spirit and power animals. Much better than this electronic internet, imo.

Man, this guy is my hero. I have dreamt many times of being able to live in this way.

We modern day humans are so sidetracked by ridiculous things in our everyday lives. I seriously think that we forget that we are animals too, and we are creatures of this Earth. It's always important to give thanks to our nourishing Great Mother, Earth.

Great story. Massively inspiring to me. Gave me major chills.

-SES

[edit on 20-8-2010 by SolarE-Souljah]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Keeping people so far away from this guy...makes me want to go that much more nearer to him. I want to know his side of the story.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I wonder how often "extraterrestrials" or highly advanced beings living in different dimensions, here on Earth, think about us the same way we're currently thinking about this man.

Maybe they've given us our own "safe zone" as well and leave us alone -- just as we've made the decision to leave this man alone -- to our own tribal ways.

Every once in awhile they pop over using their "highly advanced" technologies to check up on us, just as we sometimes appear into this man's life with our own high-tech vehicles and "alien" gadgets.

Perhaps "they" too wonder why we don't join them... just maybe, they too don't realize that it is because we can only see and move as fast as we are able to understand -- and for the time being, this is all we know.

Sometimes I wonder indeed...

[edit on 20/8/10 by Navieko]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I've often read about isolated peoples, and the concerns of whether they should be left alone or not.

This man is very isolated indeed.

I think - why not try to reach out to him and offer him an alternative life? If he rejects it, fine. (So far there seem to be only chance and violent encounters.)

But the general idea of "leave the natives alone" - even if it comes from the best of intentions - it's still deciding for them.

Maybe they would like to live in "our" world? Let them make the choice.

I read a book recently that was somewhat about the Amish and Mennonite people, and the author, who was one as a child, said they are given a choice in adulthood - to stay or to go. And they do go out into the "world" and know somewhat of it. And then in their adulthood they are asked to make a decision.

The point being is: No one tries to keep them deliberately blind of the world around them. They go out into the world, mix with the world, and when old enough are allowed to make a conscious choice.

I think - the lone native man should have a chance like this too. He's probably far more intelligent than people realize also - and who knows? Maybe he'd like to live differently?

He's a human being and intelligent, I think an effort should be made to get to know him better and offer him the choice of how he would like to live.

In general - the idea that - "we mustn't contaminate the natives" - is in a way, kind of cruel.

What if they would *like* our life but just don't know about it?

And if they choose to live in the wild, so be it. Let it be their choice though.

People imagine all kind of things too - some woman should volunteer to be "ravished" by this man? Was that Boondock Saint who said that?

Well, how do you know? He's probably seen women before. Maybe even mated. Faced with a "Western" woman - he might be afraid. He might be interested in the smell of her hair or the food she brought. He might be a very gentle creature. Might be a psychopath - I'm sure they have them in the jungle too
But - you can't really tell until *someone* interacts with this man more. Interesting projection of thoughts anyway

In a way I feel sad for the man. I also feel he should do as he wishes. I also think someone should try to interact with him a bit more. Doesn't mean you have to drag him away from his home or try to "civilize" him. Try to meet on his terms.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
I bet we could learn more from him
than he would learn from us.

-----
Doubtful, highly doubtful. How about if you just jet off to a unpopulated island somewhere & see how long you can take it there. I'll take my life any day of the week.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   

I wouldn't say he is the most isolated man on the planet, if he was such...We wouldn't have heard of him because no one would know of him. But from reading the story it seems like he is the last surviver of his tribe, so the arrow to the chest of the government official makes sense, most likely his whole tribe has been killed and brutally... by civilized peoples looking to take his tribes land, and he has been pushed in this isolated pocket...I don't think it's by choice, but when people with machine guns and chainsaws kill your whole tribe, I am questing that would make you a little cautious of civilized humans.

It's good that they let him have his little reservation land...Or at least till the land grabbers find a way to get rid of him and grab that land to...As to who ever said that he might like the civilized life...This dude ain't no Amish, I don't think he has a chance at converting to civilized ways, not at 40 years old he is way better of living there, then in civilization. Unless you all think he could get a job.
A homeless can't fit in...and they know the languages of the places they are at, and how things work...So what is an naked Indian dude who probably never wore any clothes but some underwear gonna do. No way civilization is a death trap or slavery to him...He has no other options. He would survive in civilization about as long as a regular Joe would survive out in to the middle of the amazon forest, with no clothes and nothing but a knife... hundreds of miles from anywhere. The average Joe would be dead in a couple of weeks at most. Every were you go it's a jungle out there, either a concrete jungle or forestry jungle, and most are adapted to live in one or the other.... In either case when the habitat of the jungle changes... many die, no mater what jungle you live in.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
There is an interesting line of nonfiction books by Tom Brown Jr. that I found fascinating... and they deal with Apache culture of the secret society of tribal scouts, woodcraft, connection to and cooperative perception with, and of, the natural world, etc.

Tom Brown Jr. is a tracker par excellance.

Grandfather was an old Apache Scout who was in his 80's during the late 60's. the author was the best friend of his grandson Rick. the three spent 40+ hrs per week for ten yrs in the Pine Barrens rural area of Jersey.

Grandfathers tribe successfully kept to the ultra remote areas of the southwest until past the turn of the last century, I think...

Grandfather spent a period of years on a solo trek away from and on the fringes of many American cities.

Have you heard the legend of the Jersy Devil? Rick and Tom were 'the Jersey Devil'. They had/have some incredible woodcraft and recon skills... they harrassed polluters of their beloved Pine Barrens... pretty funny stuff and very enlightening.

Who knows, you could read this and become a tree-hugger. Then you may learn that sometimes the tree hugs you back!

Bon Appetite y'all!

PS I am a Bible thumper too, I guess... so sue me already

[edit on 21-8-2010 by AntiShyster]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I think he should be left alone....But give it some time....someone is bound to introduce (force) him to the benefits of civilization, such as different foods, different cultures, RELIGION, advanced technology, and an even more beneficial thing such as becoming part of our great, fantastic society, such as meeting different people, seeing different ways people pay taxes, err, um, earn a living....
Yep leave the guy alone. He was blessed to be un"civilised".
He probably shoots arrows at people because it was those types of people who killed off the rest of his people.....kept taking rain forest until there was hardly anywhere else for folks to go.

It has always been known: when someone finds something to make money on, they dont care who it really belongs to. they will take what they want no matter what.
I hope the man lives out his days in the pure way he knows.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Too bad I have found this thread only now.

I am afraid his story is not unique. Many tribes have disappeared since Brazil was first "discovered" by Pedro Cabral in 1500 and eventually many indian tribes were taken down to one last man or so. That doesn't mean isolation whatsoever. He is at home, in such harmony with the Earth that not even the most extreme eco-freak can dream of. While we would not survive a couple of days out there, he manages to live a daily routine without too many problems.

In fact, as the article says, his and all indians major problem is the white man. It has been like this for centuries and even though the FUNAI agents, who were after him only (well, maybe) intended to offer some kind of aid, he is better off left alone.

Even today there are tribes that remain uncontacted by choice. We know very little about them since the only bits of information come from other tribes. We estimate the indian population in the whole country to be around 400.000 people.

As a curiosity info, in the 80's a Xavante indian named Mario Juruna was elected for the deputy chamber. He did a lot to his ethnicity to achieve the legal status of today. But the most notable thing about him was that he would always carry a tape recorder with him in order to register his conversations with his fellow politicians. He used to say, absolutely right in every single aspect, the white man was not to be trusted as they (oops, we) say one thing and do another thing instead. After his term was completed, he was turned down by his own people because he had been too much into our culture and would no longer fit or serve to his tribe. Here is a picture of him with our former president (I hope the link will work in this forum): independenciasulamericana.com.br...

So leave the lonely indian alone...

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
the gov was right, leave the poor bastard alone.

the people who killed everyone should be hunted down!

all his friends and family! think about it! wtf!

this makes me sick.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Just read this amazing story and, almost immediately, a sad thought come to my mind.

Articles like this one represent a possible threat to people like him: I hope that some rich idiot will not think to go in search of this "unicorn" to discover him and take back to our "civilized society".

This man has something we can't even dream about: Real Freedom
He walks, breath, think, feel the planet in a way we're unable to imagine; he's so fascinating because we FEEL we was like him: primitive, maybe, but in touch with mother nature. This is the same feeling I've when thinking about native americans before we came.

This only one man is dangerous for our "civilized society" model: his way of life, his existence puts under pressure our "status quo" with our self-imposed rules, religions, economics, taxation, WARS, speculations, environment destruction and so on.

Moreover we're forced to remember what's happened (and continues to happen) to the other tribes in the Amazon forest being killed daily by OUR companies harvesting for mines, rubber trees, wood and all the resources hidden in their jungle.

My guess about the Brazilian Govt. to let him alone is that they done the right thing: it's like to protect our most ancient heritage, FREEDOM.

Ciao,

Emanuele

PS My HUMBLE opinion!

[edit on 21-8-2010 by Emanuele_C]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join