It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asking for The Wisdom of ATS: A question for all

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
You can't just tell people... Jenna is 100 % right.
The only way is to just mention small things, truth proven as a fact.

If they bite good, don't bother if they don't.

You should really check out the 33 proven conspiracies from a previous response. If you didn't already.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
So far everyone has had very differing opinions. Does anyone think its even worth the time to inform others, if they are not even willing to listen to begin with?

If a person is not open-minded, and are not able to research the truth themselves, is it worth trying to free them from the "matrix"?

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

I finally got a chance to check out the 33 conspiracies page and all I can say is wow. There is a lot that I have missed!

Let me do a little reading and I'll be back. I feel stupid that I have never heard of some of these. Isn't learning fun?

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
If you know a particular person that seems to have at least an open mind or particular interest I would suggest finding a thread on ATS that they might have a curiosity about. Read it together, discuss and see what happens. Don't force them to believe or call them a sheep, that just turns people the opposite direction. It just might spark them to pursue the truth. I did this with my daugher and received a pretty postivie outcome.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
How do you tell the difference between a sheep and a cool aid drinker?

Listening is the answer. If you allow yourself 1 reply for every 1,000 reply's you read and 1 thread for every 1,000 threads read you will be neither a sheep or be drinking the cool aid. You will become a much more informed individual. Truth is where you find it, and both sides of a debate boast of having at least some of it.

Most often, who is offering the information, is as important as the information itself. Look at a list of your friends. Dose it have representation on both sides of the isle? If and when it does you will know that you have changed people's heart's and mind's. You have been an influence in their life.

I think that today you are lucky. Today for me you are #1001.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
You can't just tell people... Jenna is 100 % right.

That's the first time I've ever been accused of that.

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
So far everyone has had very differing opinions. Does anyone think its even worth the time to inform others, if they are not even willing to listen to begin with?

People's willingness to listen depends on how you approach them. If you just flat out tell them they're wrong then no they're not going to be willing to listen to your side. Discussions over interesting topics are always worth my time, regardless of who I'm discussing it with. It's just a matter of bringing it up in a way that doesn't sound like you're threatening their beliefs or belittling them for not believing as you do.

If a person is not open-minded, and are not able to research the truth themselves, is it worth trying to free them from the "matrix"?

From this, you sound as though you're setting out to 'save' people. You'll never get anywhere approaching it like that. Most people don't want to be 'saved'. If you approach them as though they're lost and need to be 'shown the way' you'll lose them quickly and potentially get them angry enough they refuse to discuss that particular topic with you ever again. It can be easy to fall into an "I know more than you, you are wrong" type of attitude, but it'll get you nowhere fast.

Start with small comments about things you can find evidence to support and that are 100% true. Don't go jumping into an hour long conversation about it though. Eventually they might start asking questions and then you can go into more depth. If they don't, then just let it go because they likely have no interest in that topic and/or just don't care one way or the other. Or they think you're crazy. One or the other.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Well, definitely never refer to them as a sheep. When reading my favorite concealed handgun book I ran into a great collection of quotes from a Texas Ranger, my favorite was; "You are either a sheep or a sheep dog, and if you are reading this book, you might be a sheep dog. Your job as a sheep dog is to protect the sheep from the wolves, without scaring them half to death because they can't recognize the difference between you and a wolf." This lovely metaphor sums up my thoughts on trying to educate the sheep about alternative theories of everything. They don't realize that your trying to protect them by expanding their horizons, they think you might be a wolf.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

I have been researching conspiracies for quite sometime and I have learned a thing or two on the way. If they don't bring it up don't mention it. A fool speaks, the wise man listens.

The reason behind this is that you will look like the fool at the end of the conversation. They have government agencies backing them up while you have conspiracy theorists, which sound a bit lunatic.

If they start throwing crap out there then all you do is state fact for fact. Never sell it as a conspiracy theory.

IE. Do enough research to be able to tell fact after fact after fact. The way to win a war of words is to have more facts than the other side.

Another thing I learned, is try not to make them sound stupid. Just stick to the facts.

I usually never bother arguing anymore. I have spent about 2 years telling my sister about conspiracies and she didn't budge. Then came along a facebook group and now she is hooked.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

I'm surely not trying to "save" anyone. I do not have the knowledge to do so. Maybe I needed to choose a better way to say it.

I do see how many people are lost though. Everyday there are many times I would just love to tell people that the MSM garbage they spew from their mouths in complete and utter foolishness, and how much it flies in the face of common sense. But I don't. Who's to say that my reality is any better than theirs?

I do not push my beliefs onto others and usually I try to skirt around the issue of conspiracies unless I know the person and how they react. Once in a while I will find myself in a full-on debate with someone, but I keep it within my area of knowledge and I never belittle someone's ideas.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I tend to avoid initiating that kind of conversation. I discovered that walking up to a friend or neighbor and starting off with all this confusion about what they are being taught is wrong, usually brought the tinhat stare from them. Through experience I found that it's just business as usual for either one of us. If they mentioned something about an observation they had, I would give them a simple answer. For example, if they talk about how bad our government is', I would simply answer 'our govt is the corporation that keeps raising your taxes', or if they made mention of high gas prices I would give a simple answer like 'the oil industry is in the business of profitability at your expense', and leave it at that until they ask more questions. Sometimes they will persue info at their own pace. Some are faster than others.
If they're curious or eager to learn a new approach, then they will talk more. If they blow you off a dozen times, then they won't be receptive to alternatives outside the MSM. Some folks religiously follow cable news and other news broadcast on entertainment channels.
I stumbled on my wake-up call while browsing a UFO site, and a day later on a camping/survival site, so it can happen anywhere at any time.
There are so many controversies in this world, and there will be a number of subjects that they will not bend on, but getting your foot in the door (however slight) is progress.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join