It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was Cannabis made legal on 22 July 2010?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
It sure looks like it! VA Cannabis ruling could most likely take Cannabis off the Schedule I list and move it to Schedule II by definition.

The article in question can be found here:

Men's Daily News: Source

To be a Schedule I drug, a substance must meet 3 qualifications:
1. There is a lack of accepted safety for use of the drug or other substance under medical supervision, AND
2. The drug or other substance has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States, AND
3. The drug or other substance has a high potential for abuse.

As of 22 July 2010 the Veterans Administration passed a directive that allows for VA patients suffering from various ailments to use Cannabis as treatment. This does not allow the VA to prescribe it, but it does acknowledge that Cannabis does hold medicinal value.

So what this means is that the VA now recognized that:
1. The evidence has been accepted that this safe and can be used under Medical supervision (but only in States where its legal). * I guess cannabis' effects dont work unless your in a state where they havent voted it in, huh funny how that works...

2. 14 States have already in-acted laws with the term "currently accepted medical use", therefor nullifies #2

3. Cannabis has one of the lowest potentials for abuse and lowest addiction rates out of all of the drugs listed in the whole Drug Schedule.

Gonzales Vs Oregon was a precursor of sorts, to this new Directive from the VA. The ruling of Gonzales vs Oregon set forth that the state health care laws trump the power of the U.S. Attorney General’s Office to enforce federal drug laws.

Gonzales Vs Oregon Ruling

[edit on 20-8-2010 by sourdiesel]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I would like to discuss this but from a thread I read yesterday from ATS we are no longer allowed to discuss this topic. Mods please correct me if I am wrong. I can't find the thread now.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

There have been a number of policy shifts on this subject area over the years. You might want to check dates on anything you read about board policies - so far none of the mods have responded so I'm thinking the topic is currently considered "okay" since this board still exists.

gj

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
in texas, they have the medicinal power of it for curing diseases all figured out. one can't partake of the prescription constantly, though ....every three weeks is about right for prevention of cancer, for instance

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
i think this is a step in the right direction for sure. hopefully the federal government will soon stop meddling in our personal business since they have a lot on their plate right now. just something to think about, in 2008 there were 14,005,615 total arrests and 1,702,537 of them were for drug offenses. 847,863 were marijuana arrests. out of these arrests only 93,640 were for trafficking marijuana while 754,224 of them were for simple possession. who do you think is really being targeted here, the dealers or the users? still don't think there is something up with the drug war?

SOURCE: drugwarfacts.org...

[edit on 20-8-2010 by 2weird2live2rare2die]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
The idea of medicinal marijuana likely makes no difference on legality. In Canada, medicinal marijuana has been legal for years, with daily doses for chemotherapy, arthritis pain relief, etc., but it still isn't legal for recreational use.

Just like hemp is legal up here, we have industrial hemp farms, and they sell the seeds in grocery stores.

They have been trying to work out the bugs of the legal system for years about the recreational uses, but it seems to change constantly. Also depends on the province, in BC it's considered soft, therefore no big deal, waste of time to prosecute unless huge amounts. Other provinces are a little to a lot more conservative.

The USA governments, both state and federal, still have to get over the hemp issue before they will legalize marijuana. It's still illegal for most states to grow it for rope, or fabrics

One day hopefully the entire North American continent will wake up and realize prohibition just makes things worse.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Feel free to discuss this topic, this thread was move to the Alt. Sub Forum board and this is the place to discuss it per the Mods. I would like to hear from some other Veterans and others on what you guys think of this. Before this ruling Veterans "could" get into trouble and possibly lose their VA benefits.

Here is a Video from July 2010 from one of our State Reps Joe Miklosi on the subject.

Here is the News report

[edit on 21-8-2010 by sourdiesel]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Here is some more background on the topic.

They say there is a lack of "research" I beg to differ since the 1920's that I know of (possibly even earlier) we have been researching Cannabis. There are over 40,000 (yes that is FORTY THOUSAND!!!) research articles on the benefits of Cannabis, it also continues today. Everyday Cannabis is studied and new reports constantly show up on the internet. I have been doing my own research for over 14 years. I know more about cannabis than I really should without a degree. The dangers have be overblown, and I hope you guys know there is a extremely aggressive propaganda campaign to demonize this plant.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
if the history of capitalism in america is anything to go by, weed will be legalized and modified/abused. while what the soldiers are consuming in irak/afghan will be potentiated before their return.

top topics

join