It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we brainwashed to support the military?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by AdAbsurdum

You went willingly to war.

And nice try, using the FEMA death camp fear tactic. I'm willing to bet you're here to serve someone's agenda.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Blaming them for what? I'll try to be more clear:

Accountants balance books, chefs cook food, soldiers kill people. The voters get to decide who I kill. Not me. So, if I agree to defend you and it later turns out that my actions aren't actually defending you but are instead serving corporate interests, you refuse to honor my sacrifice so you don't have to feel guilty about doing nothing about the innocents you cry over?

How about you impeach the leader you helped elect and put a stop the heinous things I forced to do in your name?

Mod Edit: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 2010/8/20 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   

How soon do people forget 8 years of the Worst President Ever? It wasn't Obama that got us into this mess. Sure, progress is being made (even that is debatable) by bringing some troops home. Even so, you can't please everyone.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword

You went willingly to war.

And nice try, using the FEMA death camp fear tactic. I'm willing to bet you're here to serve someone's agenda.

Ummm... I don't have a problem with killing people in some circumstances. I don't see it as a moral wrong. You also dodged my question.... I'll pose it a different way:

Zapata said, "I'd rather die on my feet instead of live on my knees." Do you not think that some things are worth fighting for?

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   

How soon do people forget 8 years of the Worst President Ever? It wasn't Obama that got us into this mess. Sure, progress is being made (even that is debatable) by bringing some troops home. Even so, you can't please everyone.

Fair enough. But it is not my job to bleed for you and carry the shame of 8 years of Chimpy McFlightsuit alone. We are all in this together.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   

I really don't give a flying # what you do. My grandfather was fighting for my freedom in Okinawa during WWII. That was a real war. The wars we fight nowadays are a waste of time and resources.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

We are back to wording. I did not mentioned the Armed Forces, I specifical those who fight for us. To me, a very important difference as I said in my post, I do not support our military as a collective unit but I support those who have made choice as indivduals to service.

Maybe using the OP's word of "brainwashed" is not the best way to decribe what I was looking to say but certainly I am happy with the power of the State and media being using to ensure that no one forgets those who are servicing.

And what is so wrong about brainwashing people to support those tropps who service. If you do not want to support your troops who serve, then I would happy pay for anyone to leave this country and go live somewhere else.

We have had enough years of political and media brainwashing on social political issues from various Governments, what is so wrong with this attempt?

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   

I really don't give a flying # what you do. My grandfather was fighting for my freedom in Okinawa during WWII. That was a real war. The wars we fight nowadays are a waste of time and resources.

I agree with you that the conflicts that the media is made aware of is a waste. My point is that it isn't my, or any soldier's, fault or any personal failing on my/our part. I did what I did to the best of my ability and I did that for the American people. Which means, if you are an American, I did it for you.

If you don't like that we are killing the people we are shooting at than you need to look at who has the power to point that gun and blame them and demand accountability.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I supportt the troops, because most of them are just regular folk, who want to secure out freedom in the future. Lets be honest, there are evil twisted people and organizations out there, who will spark war. often it is us. I don't like everything the generals do, but thats expected, as I chose not to join, they are more equipped to make the decision than I. I just wish war would end.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Many may find themselves in the nightmare you find yourself in. Yes, you do have a choice, it is not to PULL the Trigger or if you do aim into the air.

You also find yourself in a unique position, you can be an ambassador for the people of the United States by treating others with respect and fairness.

No one can force you to be brutal to others this is a choice each of us make within. Your eternal soul stands in the balance, this is a spiritual test. Will you pass or fail the test - it is your choice.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by brokedown

Valid point. But the choice I was referring to was a political one. Whether or not I agree with what the President says, I swore an oath.

I also fully understand my responsibilities. But do keep in my mind that it is possible they merely concluded that I was the only "good" American they came in contact with.

Also, about the pulling the trigger, it doesn't worry me. I never killed anyone who wasn't trying to kill me. Also, since I was the invader, I would like to add I don't have any resentment or hostility held for those that tried.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Has anyone else noticed this?

The people that always say "Thanks for Serving!" are ones who've never served a day in their life and would never enlist?

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
No one should be bad mouthing the army my cuzen died feburary 21 2008
after risking his life to save 5 others took a short cut to a helicopter pad and drove over a mine R.I.P DAZ
all im saying is its voluntary and ther are perks more so in the army then anything else, but if we didnt hav the militarys back for support and funding
hitler would of won all the jews would be dead u wouldent be able 2 hav this conversation and we'd all hav blue eyes and blonde hair so just remember
has the army cum 2 ur front door and told u ur going 2 war ....no dint think so

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I joined the military and it sure as hell wasnt for you. Turn em all to glass.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
To the OP thanks for your service and sense of obligation to serve in the military of the country you wished to move to. To the ones who would bad mouth those who serve and have served, take a flying leap... For many of us in the USA serving in the military is the only way some of us can get a college education and try to better ourselves. Yes there are grants and loans and various programs available, but are actually very hard to qualify for. Perhaps your parents make too much money, perhaps your grades weren't quite good enough, perhaps you weren't athletic enough, perhaps you're the wrong color, sex, creed etc. Large areas of the USA were economically depressed before the 2008 crash. In many areas of the USA the only way out of a life of back breaking work or suckling from the govt teat for the rest of our lives was military service. Yes some of your grand parents fought for our freedom and way of life in WWI/II or the Korean Conflict, which by the way was never a war
It is not our fault as soldiers that the decision makers choose to deploy us for less than honorable or demonstrably valid reasons. To the poster who stated to simply not pull the trigger or aim into the air, that is overly simplistic and naïve, also a sure way to make sure that you or the person beside you will be coming home in a body bag.
When the balloon goes up and "they" come for "us" those of you with no military training or proper survival training will be relying on the vets of the latest police action carried out by the USA and her allies to help defend you, bear that in mind the next time you want to be so quick to call a soldier a moron or an idiot.
I am a former vet and I do not support the wars we have been fighting for the last 9 years. They are not a judicious use of our training and skills. This is the politicians and corporate war mongers faults, not ours...

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by brokedown

Many may find themselves in the nightmare you find yourself in. Yes, you do have a choice, it is not to PULL the Trigger or if you do aim into the air.

Let me ask you this: If your squad is pinned down while you wait for backup do you keep firing in the air while your team members start getting picked off and just hope you become a POW? We all know what happens to American POW's in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Or are you of the belief that American solders cruise the streets pick off little kids and women as they are walking home?

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Wow, It is really a bummer to see some of you chewing on a military guy,.
I completely understand where he is coming from but it seems many of you don't get it.
the point here , as to the thread topic, Is yes the "People" have been conditioned to support.
Why do all the stupid sticker ribbons that are posted on so many cars say
"Support Our Troops".
the key word there is Troops,
If it said " support our wars" then the light might go on and more would protest.
And yeah the enlistees are just pawns in a big game, and unfortunately don't have much choice BUT to do what they are told.
There is no defending America here,.. it is more like resource securing.
Why have't any dirty bombs gone off here in the states?,.
It certainly isn't cause they cant get in and don't have the resources
It would be cause the Gameplayers haven't decided that to be the plan of action yet.
Military people are really just employees with a set of harsh consequences if their rules of engagement
(of which I find to be a joke, you are Supposed to be in a war) are broken.
Don't Blame the enlistee, Blame the politicians

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Of course Hitler and Japan were probably funded by the bankers, and WW2 was thus probably a made up war, but yeah, it would have been far worse if we didn't win!

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

You can't stereotype and say I would never enlist because I haven't. I felt that when it was my time to make that decision, I wasn't happy with the foreign policy and the wars that were to take place. Sorry. I didn't want to buy into the nationalist hoopla after 9/11. I love what this country has given me the options to do, and the freedoms I have, and these soldiers make it possible, sometimes.

I would enlist if I felt it were right.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   

The ole Nuremberg defense. If you had said that to the US govt as a Nazi troop, Uncle Sam would have told you: "not under international law.. you had a moral choice available not to participate."

Sir, "just following orders" sir! doesn't inoculate one from responsibility.

As a former 0847 Marine knowing the depths of social brain washing, drying and conditioning in 2010 USSA.. I cant fault some dorky 18 year old PFC who actually in his heart believes heroically defending a pile of Afghani dirt is defending America.. a kid who buys into the idea US Armed forces are the righteous hand of god fighting the good fight.

I can support that troop.. he's doing wrong things based on his perception it's for all the right reasons. Temporarily insane after a lifetime of propaganda bombardment, but totally salvageable after a few years exposure to some reality sunshine erodes a thick layer of govt fog.

A more enlightened troop who continues to participate, is another story.. AFTER a swift kick in the nuts/vagina of reality shocks a soul into having an epiphany... they aren't killing strangers for America, but for an illusion of America... but decides to be just another a follower and willfully take part in what s/he believes is a horrifying insult to humanity..

Quoting Doug Stanhope: "I do not support that troop". IMO said troop is no better than a 1930s German soldier.

IMO a true hero isn't a drone follower who lets others dictate their moral decisions based on some 5 minute script reading ceremony where 1 hand was elevated and paper was written on (the oath). A hero leads by setting an example.. like refusing, saying "no". Not being afraid to stand out, form an opinion unique among the flock and reject what they view as immoral and probably unlawful "orders".. issued by puppets subservient to liars.

Is an oath more valuable than human lives?.. of course not. Who doesn't clearly recall taking the oath?.. I do, so do most.. but why is that 5 minute memory indelible, while others are fleeting moments easily forgotten?.. because it's a carefully crafted govt mindpork programmed into all of us.

When we grunts start to question our party leaders honesty & motivations.. then contemplate the morality of killing strangers 1000s of miles from being as dangerous as infamous "DUI illegal aliens".. brainwashing triggers the magical oath memory movie.. to both remind us why we have to slaughter, and serve as a cheap cowardly rationalization as to why we're compromising our values.. "I didn't want to, but the oath made me"

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join