It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tabloid Headline: Huge Rats found in England

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

That was the other thing I was trying to think of

So the fact that we're all so strong now and have a population of over 7 billion could be down to the good ole rat.

Way to go guys

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I work in Bradford and - suprise - this popped up in the local paper today

Ravenscliffe residents say giant rat claims are 'a load of rubbish'

Claims that giant rats are plaguing a Bradford estate have been rubbished by community leaders and Bradford Council’s pest control chief.

A report alleging monster two-and-a-half-foot rats had been seen in Ravenscliffe was published yesterday by national tabloid The Sun.

You have to remember that the Sun "newspaper" has more in common with what you wipe your backside on than anything offering real news

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

You have to remember that the Sun "newspaper" has more in common with what you wipe your backside on than anything offering real news

I've heard you can shred it and use it to line your rat cage. But I wouldn't risk it

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I used to live in Battersea, SW London. I had a freind that lived pretty close to the railway tracks, where some incredibly huge rats would reside.

They would stand their ground if you tried to shoo them away and also had a love for chewing through peoples car tyres.

I remember him telling me that a neighbour of his tried to shoo one away that was gnawing away on his car wheels, with a broom. The rat then latched onto the broom and started gnawing away at that. Luckilly he didn't decide to use his foot.

Regardless of whether the 'Monster Rat' story is true or not, or whether Snuffles the pet rat is all cute and snuggley, or whether someones dogs can make some scarper with fear. The bottom line is, some colonies of wild rats can be pretty vicious and bold. Especially if they have been living in such close proximity to humans in Large Cities or Towns.
Believe me, you wouldn't want the little fella i've just told you about pouncing on your foot and chewing your ankle after trying to scare it away.

Skitz

[edit on 20-8-2010 by skitzspiricy]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by berenike

Star for that.

We do owe them that!

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by skitzspiricy

In Portugal we have a large palace and monastery (Mafra national palace), with an enclosed wildlife and game reserve behind it, and it is said that part of the basement of the palace is completely dominated by large rats.

From time to time they kill some, but they never really enter the "rat domains", and it's been like that for as long as I remember.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then

Originally posted by butcherguy
I ate some of those 'pastie' things they make over there in 'Jolly old' England, they were supposed to be filled with beef. Ewww. Wasn't anything like beef for me! I know why they call them pasties, they taste like there is a bit of paste(as in glue) in them.

Uh oh no you didn't

Pasty's are a delicacy over here, don't tar them all with one bad experience (you didn't get a Ginsters from motorway service station did you?
) - There is no limit to the different variety's of pasty's it don't have to be beef and potato's all though that's the commonest. I usually like anything curried.
Okay, I will give you the benefit of the doubt on that. I didn't buy them on any highway stop. It was from a shop along the street in London, near Piccadilly Sq., and it was beef(?) and potato.

But the steak and kidney pie? I will not give that a second go-round.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
OH NO! They killed Master Splinter!

England beware!!

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles will soon be wrecking havoc in your sewers as they seek to avenge their father's slaying.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Ita a hoax buddy,they said after they shot it they threw it in a bush and it was eating by ants, a journalist went to the housing estate and asked the people and they said yes they had a problem with rats but when shown the big one in picture they said defo not that big.
but they are huge these days

[edit on 15/8/2010 by johnny c]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by VintageEnvy

Originally posted by muse7
So why did they have to kill them? Why couldn't have they just caught them and released those living creatures into the wild?

I agree, I think if something has managed to survive that long to get that big then they should be 'thrown back'. If you kill something that so clearly has earned its right to live your a douche. They shouldve let it go somewhere in the woods.

Now bruvva - dem chav rats he'll cut your froat in as you sleep rite! Never mind the size, innit. Him batty an 'ill mash you up bruvva..

Not sure if Im doing chav there, or jamie oliver... err oh well.

Wait till that rat shivs ys for your shoes. He'll want footwear eventually!

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

Originally posted by muse7
So why did they have to kill them? Why couldn't have they just caught them and released those living creatures into the wild?

I agree.

When I had a problem with mice, I created my own ''trap'' that involved luring them into a box with food as the bait.

When they went for the bait, it triggered the box to close, at which point I would take the box down to the park, and release them !

I can't understand why some people have such a blasé attitude towards animal life.

Aww

Want to see a real problem tho?

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD. KILL IT !!11

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
First I must say that I am a supporter of animal rights, ecologicaly sound practices in farming and am against greenbelt development. However, rats (there is no need to be specific about breed) can carry plauges, sicknesses of the gut, flesh rotting diseases, and all manner of dirty microbes which all thier cleaning habits fail entirely to solve.
No matter how cute, how friendly your common pet rat might be, wild rats are very dangerous. I would certainly rather take a hit from a viper or a lethal spider, than ever I would get bit by a wild rat. Wild rats are NOT clean no matter how careful thier tame bretheren may seem with thier washing habits. They carry fleas, which carry every disease they have ever ingested in the blood they eat, diseases which pass with alarming ease to people in some cases. It is not worth the risk of having them around, no matter how much of an earth lover and an enemy of the march of man you may be.
The way I see it , its like Nazis. Yeah sure I like human rights, but with Nazis you have to gut them before thier hate gets further than the tip of thier tongue lest they spread thier hate plauge to you and your friends. Waste no time. Wipe them the hell out!

Holy Buckets!

I knew a rat once, and I got pareidoliac cancer from it. Took me years to recover - I kept seeing the coco-pops as medicine. Should have only taken 2 days at most, had I used the right pills.

So now you know, never trust coco-pops to cu... I mean Never trust a rat!!

oO

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Your dead to me now.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Feh..not impressed! Clean'em up and they are actually cute. Rats make great, be it somewhat exhausting, pets.(not as exhausting as ferrets though..
We got Muskrats here the size of small dogs.. 2feet? heh peanuts..

By the by, it's not the rats' size that's problematic, it's their fleas and other critters.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I remember telling a fitter at work once about my rat phobia.

I was a relatively young kid at the time and this guy had been around the block a few times.

He told me that when he was an apprentice many years earlier he was cycling to work early one morning when all of a sudden he was surrounded and overtaken by literally thousands and thousands of rats swarming all over the road.
He said that in the middle of this pack was a group of enormous rats, about the size of cats or terrier sized dogs.
He said it took about a minute or two for the pack to pass him.

He said that some old works had been knocked down and the rats were moving en masse to find new scavenging and breeding areas.

I would have cacked myself and would have been hysterical and would probably have required sectioning afterwards.

I still don't know if he was winding me up or not.
Old though he is I still see him occassinally around the town and have the odd pint or two with him.
He swears it's the truth but is always in hysterics and busts a gut to let everyone know my phobia.

The thing is, I have since heard other people tell similar stories, but only people from my town and I can't find any stories or intances of this phenomenon anywhere on the internet.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Eeek! Or should I say 'Squeeek' lol.They put Baltimore city rats to shame! Honestly if you look at the pics of the coypus anf the cane rat these guys look just like them. They fall within the size range as well-26-30 inches.
I cant kill anything like that. We had baby ones in our cupboards and I purchased a 'have-a'heart' trap. Since it was winter I just couldnt throw them outside. Bought a 'habitrail' waited 'til spring and released them in the field. The crapper was that they kept coming back...lol, the one eared rat...lol.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then

Your dead to me now.
Okay. I'll try it one more time.
But it has to be your mums home made.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I was just thinking of a mousetrap that is designed for use in peoples 'summer cottages' during the winter months. It is one of the less humane mousetraps to be found.

It baits the buggers in, then they fall into a container filled with a mixture of antifreeze and oil, in which they eventually drown.

[edit on 20-8-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
thats cuz ther dirty in bradford super rats is cuz ther eating crack an heroin the police keep chucking into our sewers for warnings

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
I work in Bradford and - suprise - this popped up in the local paper today

I was wondering if anyone had caught on to that -- it was the first thing I noticed: the source. Also noticed that the photo was manipulated (the rat is held on a pole a distance from the man so that the 2D effect of the photo is that we have a HUGE rat next to a normal sized man.

Here's a hint, folks: Don't use The Sun as a source.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join