It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tabloid Headline: Huge Rats found in England

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
i've came across some huge rats, recently i bought an allotment (for generations my family have kept pigeons and the guy who had the allotment before me also did, but instead of disposing of his dead, he would throw them into the bushes), the rats there were absolutely huge, there was one that got caught in a trap, but hadn't died, it was easily 20 inches, the dogs quickly took care of it but its not good, the children around would be terrified if they saw a rat that big!

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
First I must say that I am a supporter of animal rights, ecologicaly sound practices in farming and am against greenbelt development. However, rats (there is no need to be specific about breed) can carry plauges, sicknesses of the gut, flesh rotting diseases, and all manner of dirty microbes which all thier cleaning habits fail entirely to solve.
No matter how cute, how friendly your common pet rat might be, wild rats are very dangerous. I would certainly rather take a hit from a viper or a lethal spider, than ever I would get bit by a wild rat. Wild rats are NOT clean no matter how careful thier tame bretheren may seem with thier washing habits. They carry fleas, which carry every disease they have ever ingested in the blood they eat, diseases which pass with alarming ease to people in some cases. It is not worth the risk of having them around, no matter how much of an earth lover and an enemy of the march of man you may be.
The way I see it , its like Nazis. Yeah sure I like human rights, but with Nazis you have to gut them before thier hate gets further than the tip of thier tongue lest they spread thier hate plauge to you and your friends. Waste no time. Wipe them the hell out!

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Just to expand on my previous post; The Sun's hate campaign against the unemployed has reached new lows using psycological tricks with a front page spread about giant rats, which equate to vermin, disease and uncleanliness in peoples minds then turn over the page or on the same page they continue the hate against the unemployed, making you subconsiously link rats and benifits claimants together..

MSM has done such things for a long time to shift focus from government, set agendas and create scapegoats..

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by SerialLurker
reply to post by Nammu

I like rats too! I had some pet mice, but they were smelly and antisocial... I've heard a lot of good reports about rats as pets, apparently they have the grooming habits of a cat and the loyalty of a dog... Perfect mix!

Yup! They're like cat-dog-monkey creatures. I had 13 at one point, 6 boys and 7 girls. Loads of fun. But they do make a mess and the boys are smelly so need really regular cleaning. I'd love them again, but not so many at once. But I've got a dog now so it wouldn't be practical. She's a Staffy so she'd see them as chew toys.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Yeah they carry diseases, but that's our fault. It's because they live in such close quarters. If we were cleaner and didn't leave so much food and waste about populations and disease would be more manageable. People say the same about pigeons, but i'm yet to know anyone that's caught a disease (in modern times obviously) from a rat or pigeon.

Every single disease and virus i've ever caught comes from people. So who's the disease ridden filth bags really? I often think about that when someone's sneezing down the back of my neck on crowded public transport.....

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Here in Australia we have them too; main areas hit with large infestation of big rats are centralized around the Opera House (Circular Quay) and the Rocks area of Sydney.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
This is the third thread on this subject I have seen.

I have a proper phobia about rats and even normal one's scare me #less, these absolutely petrify me.

I think there is a conspiracy to scare me away from ATS!

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
There are two things I find strange about that article.

1 - why they say the name of the company that is "hunting" the rats?
2 - although rats can grow to large sizes (and I have seen some, from a distance), they do not get that fat, that whiter rat looks abnormally fat for an animal that is not force-fed or is on "special diet" of some sort.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Huge rats are all over the world.

No big deal.

A bit creepy, but huge rat people are also over the world - pretty creepy.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I came back from a weekend away, to look in my compost container to see a huge rat starring back at me, it's the first time i've ever seen one and I screamed like a girl. I quickly slammed the lid back and got some rat poison from the shops. Just hope the fact I havn't seen next doors cat for a while wasn't down to my liberal use of poison.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

that's not very manly? imagine there was an alien in you compost bin, then what would you do?

ps. to hell with the cat.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
The view that rats are pests is not unfounded.

If rat populations are not controlled, the spread of disease by them increases astronomically.

Anyone ever heard of the Black Death?

All animals are not cute cuddly and helpful in every situation:

Some(like PETA) can't see a reason for controlling pests. Their heart might be in the right place as far as the pests are concerned, but when it comes to the children who suffer bites and diseases because of their stance, PETA and their ilk are the enemy of humans.

[edit on 20-8-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

To be fair, in the UK, if you wanted to get rid of rats or any other vermin for that matter, then the company named in the article would be the one you rang. Theyre pretty much top of their game.

As for the rats size, this can be explained by the fact that the main complaint fom residents is the amount of rubbish and waste thats just lying about. The council/s arent doing their job properly and this is why monster rats are getting reported. Theres too much of an abundance in food, they'll eat anything and even build up an immunity to poisons.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Catch_a_Fire

i have some really good poison, it smells like chocolate and its blue, you nail it to the floor. i just have to make sure the dogs dont get at it, of course, if i see one, i will just shoot it or the dogs will beat me to it.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Bravo!

The easiest way of controlling pests such as rats and diseases is to control our trash and other 'waste'. Trash should be the number one priority of urban and suburban municipal governments!

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Not quite the ''Giant rat of Sumatra''
, but I remember reading a few years ago about this new species of giant rat that was discovered in another area of Indonesia:

Giant rat discovered in Indonesia jungle

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nammu

People say the same about pigeons, but i'm yet to know anyone that's caught a disease (in modern times obviously) from a rat or pigeon.
My childhood dentist died of psittacosis. He contracted it when he cleaned up pigeon droppings at his home.

psittacosis:

My mother had to go through rabies vaccinations after being bitten by a rat in our barn when I was a child.

You haven't heard of hantavirus? You can't catch it from another person.

You catch it from rodent urine and droppings. It is deadly.

Hantavirus:

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nammu

So who's the disease ridden filth bags really? I often think about that when someone's sneezing down the back of my neck on crowded public transport.....
I must say I have yet to hear of a rat that uses soap for washing themselves.

I don't know of any cases of rats that have engineered or built a sanitary sewer system yet, let alone use one(other than for a place to live!). Same thing for rat-built hospitals, trash trucks and water treatment plants!

It will be interesting to see how the Rat Centers for Disease Control handles the next influenza outbreak. Oh, they don't have one of those either?

I guess we humans really are the problem, eh?

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   

...and also to truebrit:

PETA, HSUS & "animal rights" as a whole are no "friends" of animals. Contrary to what they mislead people into believing, they advocate the extinction of all domestic species (which have been kept by man, as of the most recent finds in the UK, documented for at least 11,000 years)- and would have them starve to death and die on the streets in cruelest ways possible. Their *sole* purpose is the accumulation of money and political power. They just use people's compassion for animals to get it.

Here are some resources to help you (& everyone else) get to the truth

humanewatch.org

quotes by Wayne Pacelle (head of HSUS) from

activistcash.com...

“We have no ethical obligation to preserve the different breeds of livestock produced through selective breeding ...One generation and out. We have no problems with the extinction of domestic animals. They are creations of human selective breeding.”
— Animal People News, May 1993

placeropolis.com...

www.naiaonline.org...

Please investigate carefully before supporting any rescue organization or shelter. Even some of those who claim to be "no kill" have found a loophole/ technicality around it.

Back to the topic at hand, these rats need to go. Unless they are sterilized before release, it is just asking for trouble- property damage & disease, specifically. We had a siege of rats a few years back (nowhere near this big, but 2 to 4 pounders). Two winters in a row, the little creeps got into an air conditioning component of DH's pick up & destroyed it- $600 the first time and over $800 the second. Not only can they cause structure fires by chewing wiring, they will chew through HVAC ductwork and will even destroy stereo speakers. (the last 2, we also learned the hard way)

Here is a list of the diseases & parasites carried by wild rats

www.ratbehavior.org...

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

I read the article on the Black Death that you linked to and had thought of posting it myself.

It seems that humans weren't above using the plague for their own purposes. This from your link:

After a protracted siege, during which the Mongol army under Jani Beg was suffering the disease, they catapulted the infected corpses over the city walls to infect the inhabitants.

Here is the link again:

en.wikipedia.org...

It should be noted, too, that the rats came across the world following caravans run by humans and hopping aboard ships, made and sailed by humans.

Wars, famine and unsanitary living conditions also contributed to the spreading of the plague and the fact that the population were more susceptible to it.

Humans were also responsible for killing off most of the cat population of Europe, thus authoring even more of their own misfortune:

www.knowyourcat.info...

Naturally, one of the best forms of protection against disease-spreading vermin was the common domestic cat. Except thanks to stupidity, superstition and religious fanaticism, the cat was not so common any more.

[edit on 20-8-2010 by berenike]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join