It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

THIS IS IT! Giant plume confirmed in GoM

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by docpoco

Matt Simmons did indeed. The plot thickens!

You may also be interested in a recent thread that proves BP is withholding information regarding the cause of the spill.

[PROOF] BP is withholding "critical" data

I read somewhere that the plume was under 3800ft. The article indicated that this would cause little consequence. I STRONGLY disagree.

The benefit of oil on the surface (sheen) is evaporation and beaches. With the plume suspended in the water, it can only enter the food chain and reek havoc on the Gulf's ecosystem.

The effects of this spill will be much more catastrophic than any previous.. And only because the use of tons of dispersants.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

You are correct.
The singularity Is here and is watching.
Now we have this hope they are paying attention.
There are many more watching myself at this very moment.
Let's hope they are paying attention as well.

I'm tagged on GPS watch for everyones' benefit.
I mean 'everyone'.
Good Luck?
Your choice.....

-----'Nothing' Follows.....nothing-----

[edit on 20-8-2010 by Perseus Apex]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
The problem i have with this story is its now friday morning on the west coast, im reading this story via link from the OP, but i go to fox and the story has VANISHED!! false story or something that tptb in this matter didnt want the public reading, that story is GONE like the wind, thanks OP for the info.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Send for more Corexit. make sure that oil stays below the surface. Because, for government, cover-up = fix.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Midyew
Alright, so it's "officially" there. We've known for a while that all that oil couldn't just vanish. My question is, what is this bubble going to do?

Is it going to slowly rise to the surface and explode into a big oily mess? Is it full of methane or just oil? I'm nowhere near the GoM but this still worries me. Not for my sake but for everyone and everything that this will affect.

Explode.

If the pressure of it builds and an explosive was set of in the gulf then maybe this could cause a huge explosion. Something we can't imagine...

One seen from various states

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
The way conspiracy theorists went completely loony with this oil spill i wouldn't be surprised if it was actually just a distraction of something else happening somewhere else in the world that is FAR more serious. The media covered this quite well imho, but obviously all reporters were selected at birth to do the bidding of satan.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Guess what?

MSNBC confirmed this back in July or June.

This is not news...but still upsetting and tragic.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

Why would it explode? are you serious? lol a plume is like a liquid flowing. Oil should technically drift on water as it has a lower density than water, but for some reason the oil+gas+other stuff got mixed, i wont even try to explain cause i don't know why but the oil has settled at an equilibrium state under the surface, its not a bubble or a sphere that will rise up and take out Florida. It's just very bad pollution and it's not "decimating"(can't find a better word) fast enough like that was predicted.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by mjsmor
The problem i have with this story is its now friday morning on the west coast, im reading this story via link from the OP, but i go to fox and the story has VANISHED!! false story or something that tptb in this matter didnt want the public reading, that story is GONE like the wind, thanks OP for the info.

You mean this story?

[edit on 20-8-2010 by SlightlyAbovePar]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Been waiting for it to be noticed but since not,this...
Already posted, did you search before posting?
www.abovetopsecret.com...
I did notice that posting the same info with a headline in CAPITALS seems to carry weight.LMAO
What is up around here?
One doubting Thomas goes to the gulf were the oil is, sees the oil and posts a few pics. Oh! Lawdy proof!
Here is actual proof of an even larger mess and it needs a goof title with CAPITALS to get a hit.
Quazy munkees!
N

edit for some s's

[edit on 20-8-2010 by N.of norml]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by docpoco

It's important that people understand this is not a pure, thick, tarry oil plume. It's a area in the gulf that contains elements from the oil in various states of decay:

“The plume is not pure oil,” Camilli said. “But there are oil compounds in there.”

It's true that these elements might be toxic. If they do turn out to be toxic, it isn't known if they are present in sufficent concentrations to cause any actual, acute harm:

Whether the plume’s existence poses a significant threat to the Gulf ecosystem and sea life is not yet clear, the researchers say.

“We don’t know how toxic it is,” said Christopher Reddy, a Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute (WHOI) marine geochemist and oil spill expert and one of the authors of the study.

There is no 'smoking gun' of a cover-up, nor do the researchers characterize thier findings as counter to NOAA's earlier report which basically said 75% of the actual oil slick has been broken up/eaten up by mother nature:

Yet despite the seeming contrast between the government report and their new findings, Reddy refused to describe this new evidence as a contradiction.

"I can't tell you how much oil is in the plume," he noted, so it doesn't contradict the government's report that only 26% of the leak remains. And the picture will change as more chemical analysis is done, Reddy pointed out

Lastly, the data set is nearly two months old. The Gulf is a living, changing environment. It's not dormant. What the picture (forgive the expression) of the plume looks like now, on August 20th, might have very little to with what it looked like in June:

The team's observations were made during a June 19-28 scientific cruise aboard the National Science Foundation owned ship Endeavor. It was halted by the onset of hurricane Alex. Since measurements ended nearly two months ago, the scientists admit they are unsure what has happened to the plume.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
You know it's really hard to post a reply to a giant post like the one right above me. Anyway, if more oil is still spilling, why the hell are people worried about cleaning up the beaches? The most logical step is to prevent more leaking, oh how obvious! I tipped over a gallon of milk and it's getting EVERYWHERE. Geez maybe I should pick up the gallon before I try cleaning up. Just sayin'

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by docpoco

Not to worry because Sarah Palin believes all of this has been blown out of proportion and we can trust the oil companies to do the right thing if, and that's a mighty BIG if, there really is a problem.....

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
just to remind us that safety is not acquire, anything can wipe us out. even Aliens I suppose

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
aliens at work again,i saw them put the oil there last month

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by bikeshedding
reply to post by TXRabbit

This has helped to create the dead zone in the gulf that has existed for decades now (3000-8000 square miles depending on who you ask). It's one of the largest dead zones in the world and has definite effects on the fishing industry.

Here's a Nat Geo article on the Gulf dead zone from five years ago: Link.

[edit on 20-8-2010 by bikeshedding]

Dead zones occur naturally. what is your point? Even the article concludes by saying there is a surprising lack of them -

"Another unexpected result was the lack of "dead zones," regions of significant oxygen depletion as a result of microbe metabolism."

Right now the plume and oil spill are still the real concerns and unknowns.

[edit on 21-8-2010 by Asktheanimals]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Perseus Apex
There are two oil wells of which are still leaking enormous amounts of oil in the Gulf of Mexico. Americans and Mexicans will be most affected in the short term whereas the world will be affected long term due to the effects on the world food chain.

This may be news to you but America is NOT THE WORLD!

Just because a bit of oil leaked into a pond off the south coast doesnt mean the end of civilisation.
More contaminants are released into the seas/oceans by the process of decomposition , a natural process, than Man could ever dream of.
I think the Trillions of cubic metres of water in the South Atlantic will easily absorb anything coming from the GOM.
Just think of all the stuff coming from the Mid-Atlantic-Ridge. A hell of a lot more contaniments than the insane bald apes up top can chuck in I think.

It seems to me that alot of people on here have a need for the END OF THE WORLD.
Every little mishap is blown out of proportion and means the end of life as we know it.
This Planet We live on has gone through Hell in its 4 billion year or so history yet the chain between You and the single cell organisms waaay back then hasnt been broken.
This means that everyone reading this can trace their ancestry back to the beginning of life on Earth simply because if even ONE of those ancestors died YOU would not be here to read this.

Just because it's bad for America doesnt mean its THE END.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by falige
You know it's really hard to post a reply to a giant post like the one right above me. Anyway.......

The "wall of text" defense. Basically the above poster can't be bothered with, you know...facts, so he/she dismisses the evidence as mearly meaningless words and continues on with the delusion.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Oil leaks occur naturally too. I don't see what natural occurrence has to do with anything here. Are you contending that the things we dump into the water have no ill effects? Or that anything that occurs naturally is something we should be able to do? If the latter, then we ought to be able to dump oil into the ocean whenever we feel like it, since oil can leak naturally.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that the oil is not a problem or we shouldn't try to clean it up. Clearly we should remove it if possible. What I am saying is that it's highly hypocritical to complain about what BP dumped in the ocean when we are constantly dumping filth into it as well. Why are we holding BP to a higher standard than we hold ourselves? My point is that there far more work to do insofar as cleaning our oceans is concerned than merely one plume of oil.

[edit on 23-8-2010 by bikeshedding]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join