It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

THIS IS IT! Giant plume confirmed in GoM

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

Scientists have discovered an oil plume at least 22 miles long, 3,000 feet deep in the Gulf of Mexico -- suggesting that the tens of millions of gallons of oil that leaked from a broken BP well could persist far longer than expected.

Finally, the ridiculous report that the oil just vanished has been officially contradicted. No I'm not excited like some on here will claim... I am just glad that at least if we know about it, we can prepare for it.

Isn't this what Matt Simmons was saying all along?

[edit on 19-8-2010 by docpoco]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Researchers and scientists as well as environmental groups and Gulf residents immediately disagreed with the report, calling it "misleading if not totally inaccurate." Yet despite the seeming contrast between the government report and their new findings, Reddy refused to describe this new evidence as a contradiction.

Interesting to see what develops. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I don't think to many of us on ATS actually ever believed that rediculous comment.There was no way that with the volume of oil that came out it would just vanish into nothing. Stevie Wonder could see through that load of BS. Keep all feet and arms in close this is gonna be a bumpy ride, I sure hope everybody is ready the ride is just starting.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Alright, so it's "officially" there. We've known for a while that all that oil couldn't just vanish. My question is, what is this bubble going to do?

Is it going to slowly rise to the surface and explode into a big oily mess? Is it full of methane or just oil? I'm nowhere near the GoM but this still worries me. Not for my sake but for everyone and everything that this will affect.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
It is indeed similar to what Matt Simmons had been saying before he croaked.

“The plume is not pure oil,” Camilli said. “But there are oil compounds in there.” It may require a few months of laboratory analysis and validation, Reddy said. Both researchers were surprised by the size and concentration of the plume.

Matt Simmons was saying that the giant underwater plume was the size of Washington state and getting bigger, and existed as one gigantic thick oil glob. I think what these people have discovered is a plume made up of microscopic droplets of oil and probably more dense oil, but vast in it's size.

At least that's what I get from the article... If I'm wrong someone please correct me.

So in a sense it is similar to Matt Simmons story, but it still doesn't really lead us down the path to think he was right in saying we have been watching a fake oil leaked and BP only capped the damaged riser... which still makes no sense to this day.

Either way, Its of course a lot worse than BP are letting on. Then we have the relief well delay

[edit on 19-8-2010 by Nomad451]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
After the earth quakes and reports of plumes, i calculated that there was at least 1 CMO Cubic Mile of Oil down there, from an open fissure on the floor of the GoM. I am going to place a bet that within the next year they will have to admit to that!

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Nomad451

Maybe this will lead us down the path of understanding what Simmons was talking about.

A Tale of Two Wells (Dedicated to Matt Simmons R.I.P.)

What do any of you make of this video?

I think it is pretty interesting if there is any truth to it.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by docpoco

YESSS!!!!!

AWESOME!!!!!!

FINALLY we get to prove total OILPOCALYPSE!!!!!!!!!!!

We MUST make EVERYONE believe that all beaches in the Gulf region are slicked over and that all food from the entire dynamic Gulf that contains 642 trillion gallons of water is ALL carcinogenic.

We MUST make them ALL believe that allowing any money to reach that area is INSANE.

YES!!!!

This PROVES it all!!!

This PROVES that 40% of the gusher wasn't actually methane, and that 75% of the remaining 60% wasn't compounds that literally evaporate into thin air. Thank the gods! Man, we almost all looked like total maniac paranoid nutters.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
As I read the article the plume couldn't be seen but could be measured? How many measurements did they take?? Millions I would think to make a statement like that. So I'm just going to call it fear mongering BS. Can they prove it is all from the spill or just pollution.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
This is what exactly? Wernt you OIl doomers screaming the sea floor rose? Didnt you all advise thousands of people to IMMEDIATLY EVACUATE months ago?

Nothing will happen, noone will die, humans will live on..
Same as always

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by cluckerspud

Researchers and scientists as well as environmental groups and Gulf residents immediately disagreed with the report, calling it "misleading if not totally inaccurate." Yet despite the seeming contrast between the government report and their new findings, Reddy refused to describe this new evidence as a contradiction.

Interesting to see what develops. Thanks for sharing.

That's taken out of context. In the article, these researchers and scientists were disagreeing with the government's NOAA report not the new one. Here's the full quote:

The existence of the plume, which was concretely pinned to the blown-out well, seems to contradict a five-page report released August 4 by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), which claimed "a vast majority" of the BP oil spill is now completely gone. The remaining 25% consists of residual oil buried in sediments and sand, the report claimed.

[edit on 20/8/2010 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I like how they tell you that they have know about the plum since the end of June, yet this is the first we are hearing about this.

O well so much for not killing the environment.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
and NOW you can see why this whole Roger Clement/HGH/Steroid story is getting all the attention right now.

Misdirection folks, misdirection

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

Seriously? Roger Clemens took HGH years ago so that the government could use stories of his eventual prosecution to cover up an oil plume?

While this underwater oil plume is floating in the Gulf, do remember all the antibiotics, chemicals, bacteria, viruses, fertilizers and other pollutants that we are daily washing down our drains. They end up in the Mississippi River and they get emptied out into the Gulf. This has helped to create the dead zone in the gulf that has existed for decades now (3000-8000 square miles depending on who you ask). It's one of the largest dead zones in the world and has definite effects on the fishing industry. Why isn't anyone ever talking about that? BP isn't the group that's most destroying the life along the shores of the gulf. Average Americans are.

Here's a Nat Geo article on the Gulf dead zone from five years ago: Link.

[edit on 20-8-2010 by bikeshedding]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I especially love this part:

Whether the plume’s existence poses a significant threat to the Gulf ecosystem and sea life is not yet clear, the researchers say.

Way sad how the researcher has to candy coat this information just to get it out!
thanks op for the info!

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
There are two oil wells of which are still leaking enormous amounts of oil in the Gulf of Mexico. Americans and Mexicans will be most affected in the short term whereas the world will be affected long term due to the effects on the world food chain.

Life is one big chain here on Earth. The Oneness idea is a reality.

If the Federally controlled Coast Guard is keeping the 'flokes' away from the evidence, there is No Good Reason.

The best one could do at this point would be to alert all coast guard employees of what is really going on. Telephone, email, word of mouth would help. The minions at Coast Guard have been brought up in a military style mindset whereas they are told what to do. No questions are permitted.

If this is way the US is run, as it is, then the Coast Guard 'authorites' need to be replaced or those giving the orders need to be arrested, imprisoned and the Coast Guard needs to 'cease and desist' any resistance to independent inquiry, examination.

Every day that goes by, death in the oceans and subsequently on land will result. It is time to take action. Make it happen. You have no other choice.

It is time for the states to take back their authority to manage themselves. The Federal Government is Not your friend. Dissolve, put down all Federal government authority ASAP. The Feds have never acted on behalf of the people, by design, a poor and quite wicked one at that.

It is time to take back your govt. or remain a slave subject to those who wish to control and enslave yourself and your children.

The world is what you make it.
If you were to pass away and see the world objectively, would you not take action now and prevent what you see/know is on the horizon?
Of course U would. Take Action now or suffer the consequences.

The oil wells will not cap themselves. Only a combined effort of Americans as well as foreigners working 'together' 'demanding' Change will make this happen. If it is your world, it is time to start acting like it. If you are not a slave/subject unto the Federal 'authorities' it is time to Act like it.

State governors and sheriffs have the State authority to override Federal demands. They must work together to ensure that the American people, the taxpayers, as well as the 'authorities' themselves have a world left to work in. Your children/progeny are depending on U to Do the Right thing.

If you work for the Federal govt. and are aware of the issues, what use is drawing a paycheck from an entity who wishes your destruction?

Here was an original assessment of which went 'unnoticed'?

You have a choice.
Always have.

[edit on 20-8-2010 by Perseus Apex]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoranceIsntBlisss
reply to post by docpoco

YESSS!!!!!

AWESOME!!!!!!

FINALLY we get to prove total OILPOCALYPSE!!!!!!!!!!!

We MUST make EVERYONE believe that all beaches in the Gulf region are slicked over and that all food from the entire dynamic Gulf that contains 642 trillion gallons of water is ALL carcinogenic.

We MUST make them ALL believe that allowing any money to reach that area is INSANE.

YES!!!!

This PROVES it all!!!

This PROVES that 40% of the gusher wasn't actually methane, and that 75% of the remaining 60% wasn't compounds that literally evaporate into thin air. Thank the gods! Man, we almost all looked like total maniac paranoid nutters.

I dunno, you appear to be a pretty manic something up there in that post.

What I saw gushing out of that breach for so long, was more than gasses or things that will merely disappear into the ... what now? Atmosphere?

Some of it was pure black gushing out.

Have you ever mixed olive oil in water under pressure? can you expect to collect a decent amount of it back with any certainty?

Man... We have the 'Oil leaks all the time, nothing happens' crowd and the 'Oh Noes the world will end laugh laugh lollollol' next to them.

I guess it's easy when it doesn't affect you. And hey, it won't affect me.

But I give a frig about the marine life it will and has affected.

I dunno, I guess I'm human. We were given a moral compass for a reason. I just find mine ever more pointing away from true human north and more nature south.

At least when a shark eats you, he's thinking you are a feed.. Unlike the human who says "Hyuk I shot that shark.. Lets do it again !!"

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Yes, the reports that a lot of oil was emerging from the BP site is not new, when they continued using the dispersants on it we also knew that it was a bad thing. Releasing the information the researchers now share, the plume is there is also not new. it was just a few days ago that the fishing season just opened for the locals down there so that will soon stop (Its already down 80%).

www.ens-newswire.com...

In another report I saw, it mentioned the methane is still submerge in the Gulf too. Can companies recover both of these. There must be equipment like sucker machines that can draw contaminants in, divide and exhaust all the salt water, no?

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
BREAKING NEWS: A major multi-national corporation has been caught completely lying about the actual damages they caused to the environment.

Color me surprised.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join