It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trip to Mars would turn astronauts into weaklings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Trip to Mars would turn astronauts into weaklings

ca.news.yahoo.com

Astronauts on a mission to Mars could lose nearly half their muscle strength during the long trip, giving them the physiques of senior citizens by the time they arrived, according to a new study.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I always wondered during the 10+ month trip how they would keep up with their physique..

Vladimir Titov and Musa Manarov spent 366 days in space from December 21, 1987, to December 21, 1988, manning the Mir space station... but that was the MIR, I believe it would have much more room then any console they send towards Mars.

I figure, heck, if we can send men/woman to Mars then we can create an "Outer-space BowFlex", eh?

ca.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420
I figure, heck, if we can send men/woman to Mars then we can create an "Outer-space BowFlex", eh?

You would figure they would have some kind of solution for this dilemma.
I like your idea , however.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Dear CanadianDream420

I do not know where they get the idea that this is a new study as I have known this for some time.

But the answer is simple really just make the ship like one of the old cartoon space stations donut shaped and spin it. This will create artificial gravity. No more problems for the occupants. In fact you can spin it at a rate that will get them used to gravity on Mars on the way and seeped it up for the return to get used to earth again. Not rocket science but getting it up there maybe.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
This has been an issue long discussed regarding space travel. And Mars is a relatively short trip. The folks would have to to lots of resistance type of exercising (using cables, cords, bands etc) ...free weights (obviously) wont help.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by MAC269

But the answer is simple really just make the ship like one of the old cartoon space stations donut shaped and spin it.

OH yeah! How did I forget that... Not only in cartoons, however, that may be where the original idea came from. I saw it on Discover Mars on The Discovery Channel.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Dear CanadianDream420

The fact is we really are not going anywhere with the Tech that we know we have. Just packing the food and air for the trip would be a nightmare.

Now if we have the Tech that some think we have that would be a different matter. There and back by lunch. Or have we???

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Repost

Just sayin'

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Robert Zubrin's Mars Direct plan has already solved this problem.

It is a non-issue.

Even if NASA got stupid and let the astronauts travel all the way to mars without simulated gravity, they would probably have something to help them walk around, like powered suits (like our military industrial complex and the Japanese are working on)

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by MAC269

Dear CanadianDream420

The fact is we really are not going anywhere with the Tech that we know we have. Just packing the food and air for the trip would be a nightmare.

Now if we have the Tech that some think we have that would be a different matter. There and back by lunch. Or have we???

They are getting close to hibernation techniques.

The other is the rotating gyro method mentioned by
another poster making rotational inertia to equate to gravity.

If the majority of the crew is in hibernation then it takes less
food, and if there is a hydroponics system on board it would
scrub the CO2 and make O2 as well.

Personally I think better robots for exploration are the way
to go until an underground base is finished on the moon,
and mars before sending humans.

new topics

top topics

join