It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AP tells it's staff to not use ``Ground Zero mosque`` anymore

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Well if it works for the Palestinians...

There are no Christian churches in Saudi Arabia...Maybe we should take a que from them an institute and Islamic Regime here in America?

Is that the case you are making?

Otherwise WTF is your point? This is the United States of America, lets act like it.

[edit on 19-8-2010 by maybereal11]

[edit on 19-8-2010 by maybereal11]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

I think you made my point for me.
Won't be long before this country becomes like that one over yonder, that's why it's time to do something to keep that from happening.

Look at what's happened to France and what's happening to England.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro

I think you made my point for me.
Won't be long before this country becomes like that one over yonder, that's why it's time to do something to keep that from happening.

Well if the GOP has thier way you might be right. How much of our constitution would they like to edit?

13th Amend, 14th Amend, Equality ony for certain folks, certainly not homosexuals...AZ Law..papers please, Civil Rights act, birthright citizenship and now "freedom of religion".

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Because it isn't on ground zero, its 2-3 blocks away.
Burlington Coat factory is just as far as the Mosque and it isn't called the "ground zero Burlington Coat factory."

Its nuts.

will post more after watching tosh.0

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Then maybe it should be called the
Burlington Terrorist Factory.

Here are more suggestions:

...help to AP in renaming the Ground Zero Mosque. We touched on it in our own post, but maybe we should put our noses to the grindstone.
World Betrayed Center.

Here is what he has so far:

15. Landing Gear Mosque
14. Project Bloomberg
13. 9/11 Victory Mosque
12. Daily Kosque (This is my favorite so far – bfh)
11. Caliphate-on-Hudson
10. The Gorelick & Clarke Building
9. Mosque formerly known as the Ground Zero Mosque

I hate the new scrolling feature

8. Hamosque
7. Crater’s Edge (!!!!)
6. Bullseye
5. The Mohammed Atta Memorial
4. Hormel House
3. The Debris Field Mosque
2. Burlington Terrorist Factory (another fav)
1. New York Fire Training Academy

Won’t you please help the AP?

IOTW

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Good Intentions
And btw, I'm still a little confused on wether it's actually a community center or a mosque. I keep finding conflicting information, so if anyone in this thread can help me that will be appreciated. Will this be a community center for the community, or for Muslims? Or will it be a community center for the community, with a focus on Islam? That's where I'm a little lost here.

It's actually a community center that will include an Islamic prayer space on the top one or two floors. I've seen different points of view of whether such a prayer space can be called a mosque or not.

The Cordoba House Initiative is the group that will run the prayer space/mosque and will be led by Muslims. The Park51 Project is the non-profit that will run the rest of the building and will include Jews and Christians on its board of directors.

They have websites:
Cordoba Initiative
Park51

and links on those sites to blogs, twitter accounts, etc that can be interesting.

On-topic: Good for the AP. I hope people haven't been so brainwashed by the terms used so far that they don't even know they're still talking about the same project though.

edited this post to take out a claim I couldn't immediately find the source for, and give this link to the Cordoba House FAQ which answers a lot of the questions that keep coming up:

FAQ

[edit on 8/20/2010 by americandingbat]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

Well one things for sure, itll deffinately be considered a mosque by the media lol.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
From the site itself

"Park51 will grow into a world-class community center, planned to include the following facilities:
outstanding recreation spaces and fitness facilities (swimming pool, gym, basketball court)
a 500-seat auditorium
a restaurant and culinary school
cultural amenities including exhibitions
education programs
a library, reading room and art studios
childcare services
a mosque, intended to be run separately from Park51 but open to and accessible to all members, visitors and our New York community
a September 11th memorial and quiet contemplation space, open to all "

www.park51.org...

I guess nobody payed attention to the 9/11 memorial? Lol

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Good Intentions

It's really amazing what people haven't paid attention to

Here are another couple of snippets from the FAQ:

You will need a lot of contributors. Who will review your donor list?

The New York Charities Bureau and the US Treasury Department will review the donor list to assure that all funding sources are vetted to their satisfaction and approved. In addition, our Trustees and Advisory Board will be comprised of a multi-faith group of distinguished individuals who will ensure that the community center stays true to its objectives of peace, tolerance and understanding between all.

and also:

Isn’t this insensitive given that the 9/11 attackers were Muslims?

The events of 9/11 were horrific. What happened that day was terrorism, and it shames us that it was cloaked in the guise of Islam. It was inhumane, un-Islamic and is indefensible regardless of one’s religious persuasion. Not only Americans but also all Muslims are threatened by the lies and actions being perpetrated by these self-serving extremists and their perverted view of Islam.

Maybe if some of the pundits bothered to visit the web site they'd have some of their concerns answered. But then they might not be able to write such compellingly alarmist headlines.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   

That's hilarious how spun it became. I've been trying to find the official page, but have been searching under the name Cordoba House, which used to be the official name. I just thought of searching under Park51, and found it.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Good Intentions

In addition to the Park51 site there's a lot of information on the Cordoba Initiative site, which is the nonprofit group running the mosque/prayer space.

The spin this story has been subjected to is exactly why I think it's so great that the AP decided to take action to make their reporting more accurate.

edit to add:

~Lucidity has been collecting and analyzing media coverage of this issue in a thread called The War For Your Mind: Ground Zero Mosque. It contains a ton of information and links to stories along with attempts to trace where some of the misinformation and spin that has been spreading came from.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Something else to look into, the chair of the Cordoba Initative, is also the chair of the American Society for Muslim Advancemant, and is also on the Council on Foreign Relations. The companies in which fund ASMA, also alerts the conspiracy side of me.

www.asmasociety.org...

And also, in regards to the community center, "The Center has earned endorsements from New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg and prominent rabbis, along with funding from the Hunt Alternative Fund, the Carnegie Foundation, the Rockefeller Fund (whose director of grants programs, Taleb Salhab, founded the Coalition for Peace and Justice in Palestine and is the former director of the Palestine Aid Society of America) and the government of Qatar."

www.forbes.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Not ridiculous at all. I applaud AP for not using this misleading and incendiary term. At least someone has some ethics and standards in this cesspool that passes for journalistic media today. This is a mind operation and the media, with the FoxNews leading the charge, has been complicit.

We should continue to avoid the phrase "ground zero mosque" or "mosque at ground zero" on all platforms. (We’ve very rarely used this wording, except in slugs, though we sometimes see other news sources using the term.) The site of the proposed Islamic center and mosque is not at ground zero, but two blocks away in a busy commercial area. We should continue to say it’s "near" ground zero, or two blocks away....

In short headlines, some ways to refer to the project include:

_ mosque 2 blocks from WTC site
_ Muslim (or Islamic) center near WTC site
_ mosque near ground zero
_ mosque near WTC site

We can refer to the project as a mosque, or as a proposed Islamic center that includes a mosque. www.dailykos.com...

FACTS AND WORDS MATTER!

[edit on 8/20/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Maine Muslim Boy 'Experiments' With Bomb at Mosque...

www.jihadwatch.org...

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Ridiculous.

And it's the AP censoring itself. Nice.

AP advises staff on location of Islamic center and mosque

The Associated Press, one of world's most powerful news organizations, issued a memo today advising staff to avoid the phrase "Ground Zero mosque."

The Upshot reported Tuesday that the AP started using the phrase "Ground Zero mosque" in some headlines in late May. The New York Times, for one, has consciously avoided that phrasing.

The AP began using the phrase as the controversy over the proposed Islamic cultural center and mosque in Lower Manhattan started bubbling up to the national level. Many news organizations, across platforms, routinely dub the project the "Ground Zero Mosque."

If they censor themselves in such trivial matters, what do they do when it's really important?

But, I thought all of the major news outlets were Zionist-controlled propagandists. Wouldn't it benefit them to continue to use the term "Ground Zero Mosque" to continue to foment hatred of Muslims? Unless...

/TOA

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join