It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AP tells it's staff to not use ``Ground Zero mosque`` anymore

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Ridiculous.

And it's the AP censoring itself. Nice.

AP advises staff on location of Islamic center and mosque

The Associated Press, one of world's most powerful news organizations, issued a memo today advising staff to avoid the phrase "Ground Zero mosque."

The Upshot reported Tuesday that the AP started using the phrase "Ground Zero mosque" in some headlines in late May. The New York Times, for one, has consciously avoided that phrasing.

The AP began using the phrase as the controversy over the proposed Islamic cultural center and mosque in Lower Manhattan started bubbling up to the national level. Many news organizations, across platforms, routinely dub the project the "Ground Zero Mosque."

If they censor themselves in such trivial matters, what do they do when it's really important?

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I think the entire thing is a massive trivial brainwashing event orchestrated by the CIA in order to prep the public for the invasion of Iran.

Who gives a flying crap.

We are having a total economic meltdown and are about to launch a new war.

And the media is hyping some mosque construction that's not even on ground zero, its just near it.

No news organization is covering anything of substance. If you want substance, you have to go to the alternative media. I would say that Fox News programs such as Stossel, Freedom Watch, and to some extent Glenn Beck do cover real issues, but that's hardly a drop in the bucket.

[edit on 19-8-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
They are 'censoring' themselves into the FACT,

that it is NOT 'Ground zero.'

The term 'ground zero mosque' is an inflammatory exaggeration.

An inflammatory exaggeration used by treacherous haters of America & its constitution as well as their pack of rabid dog followers.

American Muslim Emergency workers were killed in the building collapse after they rushed in to rescue victims,

and all you brainless, vile idiots that want to pretend this is an anti-Muslim tragedy

are defacing America, its heroic forefathers in your gnat brained, treasonous, unconstitutional way.

I hate to have to live with such vile contemptible rats that have the brazen nerve to 'call' themselves Americans.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

True dat.

American Muslim Emergency workers were killed in the building collapse after they rushed in to rescue victims,

You think the government cares about 9/11 emergency workers?
When it comes to screwing people over, they don't care what religion you are.

Anyway I agree this whole thing is ridiculous, from the people being outraged to the retards who say muslims want to kill us all.

FREEDOM OF RELIGION and PRIVATE PROPERTY. Don't like it? Move to China.

[edit on 19-8-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
It's true.
The islam center is not to be built in the designated 'ground zero' area.
I don't see what the big deal is.
If I had my way, there would be no make-believe friend houses of worship anywhere.
Unlikely, I know, but at minimum they all should have to pay property taxes.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Well considering the "ground zero mosque" is severly misleading, it deffinately helps to clear things up when most of the debate is centered around a mosque AT ground zero. It's two blocks away, therefore it is not at ground zero. The "ground zero mosque" name, was used to catch attention, and incite anger. Their excuse was it makes it shorter, but does the word "near" really make it all that longer?

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Ridiculous.

Why is it ridiculous that they're finally trying to stop misinformation? Good for them.

AP advises staff on location of Islamic center and mosque

Too bad there's still some misinformation as it's a community center and the proposed 2 floors of prayer space may not technically even qualify as a mosque

If they censor themselves in such trivial matters, what do they do when it's really important?

I don't think it is trivial as the definition of ground zero does not included the proposed location which started this whole thing in the first place. Call it what it is and let people draw their own conclusions instead of slanting the story for an agenda. It's a community center with prayer space, built by Muslims, in the Tribeca neighborhood of Manhattan.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
It's literally not at "Ground Zero", nor is it even a "Mosque".

It's actually a community center, that "features" a prayer room in one of the higher floors. It was planned to have a basketball court, a culinary school, and many other things. A day facility, a community center in every sense of the word. It would actually serve the area well, because it is virtually deserted, and it looks like one big pile of dog excrement. The shoddy area that it's planned for wouldn't be out of place in a rundown Detroit slum. This is supposed to be downtown Manhattan, and it is bloody awful.

So I don't see it as censorship, it's more or less correcting their initial s***storm, twisting of the facts for sensationalism, fear and general divide-and-conquer scheming.

I have nothing but contempt for the ignoramuses who shovel this crap into their mouths, hardily with a spoon. Complete anti-American morons in every sense of the term. I'd rather punch these people in the face than talk with them, let alone try to hold back the vomit protruding out of my mouth whenever they call themselves "patriotic Americans".

AP; The Associates for Propaganda

[edit on 19-8-2010 by SyphonX]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Given the true definition of "ground zero" and given the fact that the proposed mosque is 2 blocks from where the WTC once stood; I would say that the AP is taking a stand against sensationalism and taking the stance of reporting things in an accurate, factual manner. Where's the problem?

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
Given the true definition of "ground zero" and given the fact that the proposed mosque is 2 blocks from where the WTC once stood; I would say that the AP is taking a stand against sensationalism and taking the stance of reporting things in an accurate, factual manner. Where's the problem?

The problem is that it takes away from those that would whine and complain. It sets a precedent that it's actually not at GZ and it's not a "mosque". Hey, if AP says it, it's got to be right. Then again it'll probably be called a "liberal" service and discounted now.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Thing is that there's a mosque in the Pentagon and nobody says anything about it.

People who hate blindly muslims or anyone for that matter are really idiots.

Thanks for the clarification on the fact that it's two blocks away and not an actual mosque... I obviously didn't do my homework.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

It really isn't your fault, I mean it's basically posted everywhere as the ground zero mosque, and like I said, the whole debate has pretty much become centered on the false statement that it's at ground zero. It's pretty easy to get confused in this whole mess, which has become more of a political match than anything else.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
And btw, I'm still a little confused on wether it's actually a community center or a mosque. I keep finding conflicting information, so if anyone in this thread can help me that will be appreciated. Will this be a community center for the community, or for Muslims? Or will it be a community center for the community, with a focus on Islam? That's where I'm a little lost here.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Ridiculous.

When you think before you speak is it censorship? If Glenn Beck thought so he would declare his conscience a Nazi, but for the rest of the sane world it is called accuracy and journalistic ethics.

"Ground Zero Mosque" is a phrase designed to incite emotion and division, kudos to the AP for not chasing Fox News ratings.

Don Henly...
I make my living off the evening news
Just give me something, something I can use
People love it when you lose, they love dirty laundry

Well, I could've been an actor, but I wound up here
I just have to look good, I don't have to be clear
Come and whisper in my ear, give us dirty laundry

We got the bubbleheaded bleach-blonde, comes on at 5
She can tell you about the plane crash with a gleam in her eye
It's interesting when people die, give us dirty laundry

You don't really need to find out what's going on
You don't really want to know just how far it's gone
Just leave well enough alone, keep your dirty laundry

We can do the innuendo, we can dance and sing
When it's said and done, we haven't told you a thing
We all know that crap is king, give us dirty laundry

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
dp

[edit on 19-8-2010 by maybereal11]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Good Intentions
And btw, I'm still a little confused on wether it's actually a community center or a mosque. I keep finding conflicting information, so if anyone in this thread can help me that will be appreciated.

That's half the problem. Any information I bring forth showing that it's a community center with prayer space in Tribeca can also be found showing that it's a mosque at ground zero. I'd suggest you do your own research and reach your own conclusion.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Let's just call it for what it is..
"The Deliberate Provocation Mosque and Community Center"

or maybe
"The 9/11 Victory Mosque"

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
i feel sorry for anyone thats in america u lot our worried about a mosque near
"ground zero" but it was the cia that planed 9/11 ther no worse then saddam
remember how they say a man they cant find anywer planed out a mass attack from a cave in the middle of nowere the guy had a construction contrat with the guy and his son got with a sket from liverpool cum get him get samuel jackson in and take the information but the dont cuz its ther plan ???

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Or maybe "GOP talking point #213, appeal to Zenophobia"

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Well well, just looky here.

Palestinians Riot To Protest Synagogue Reopening

Jerusalem (CNN) -- Palestinians hurled rocks and burned tires in several neighborhoods in East Jerusalem Tuesday to protest the reopening of a landmark synagogue after more than 60 years.

CNN

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join