It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is our purpose here on Earth

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by seridium

In my opinion you might as well ask the question, What is the purpose of an Ants life, or a Moth or even a Cell. In the overall scheme I think that there really isn't a purpose.

Unlike the aforementioned animals though you have a high functioning brain that doesn't just work on instincts to eat sleep and procreate, and so my real answer is that the purpose of life can be whatever you want it to be.

In general (not specifically aimed at you) I would say that you only get one chance at life so do whatever you need to do to feel happy, and don't be afraid of the consequences. If you see someone you find attractive in the street then smile and go talk to them, if you have a job in mind that you would really like to do than do everything you can to get it. If you have a life goal then just go for it. Live in the moment and don't worry to much about the whys.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

I like your train of thought Dave.

Alot of us could learn to live with that attitude. Forget FEAR and live in the NOW.

Thanks for reminding me

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Your purpose here on Earth is to present me with a huge challenge in how to keep the people of the planet from killing one an other in ever greater numbers until a final battle of annihilation ensues, and the eco-system itself is completely laid to ruin.

I however want my quarter back this game is just too hard!

Sorry!

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
The purpose to life is to get to know and serve God. Without God, I would have no morals because I would refuse to let any other man dictate my life to me and tell what is right and wrong. Without God survival of the fittest would be the only sensible way to live. Which would then cause me to try and be the most ruthless person alive. if someone were to show me 100 percent proof that God wasn't real, than i now also have a 100 percent reason to not care for anyone but myself.

That would be the only logical and sensible way to live... right?

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by daptb
life is completely useless for Earth or the universe
there is no scientific evidence that prove that life is important

Ill give the other side of this comment. Living your life vicariously and carelessly through someone else's "discoveries" is very dangerous. I can't believe you got stars for this.

[edit on 8/20/2010 by The Endtime Warrior]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Our purpose will only become clear, when the powers that rape our freedom are relinquished. Until that time, I'm afraid all we can do is play the game, and build upon ourselves, whilst trying not to be washed away by the myriad of crap around us

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by refuse2lose2nwo
The purpose to life is to get to know and serve God. Without God, I would have no morals because I would refuse to let any other man dictate my life to me and tell what is right and wrong. Without God survival of the fittest would be the only sensible way to live. Which would then cause me to try and be the most ruthless person alive. if someone were to show me 100 percent proof that God wasn't real, than i now also have a 100 percent reason to not care for anyone but myself.

That would be the only logical and sensible way to live... right?

what proof do you have that GOD exists non you live on false pretense and pray to an imaginary being but know this, You are God like you were created in his image according to books humans like you wrote that and then after writing the bible and forcing apon the minion to brainwash them into being good little two shoes, doesnt sound like some god to me.

If there was a god he wouldnt have been a coward and hid himself from everyone if he has this so called power why does he not use it BECAUSE IT IS A STORY MADE UP BY HUMANS, total nonsense I grew up being spoon fed catikism church on Sunday and now that I can think for myself I have relaized that even if the bible was created by god for us why do they hide so many writing did you know there were 80 or so apostles and like 6 of them made it into the bible why does the Vatican have secret libraies? because people like you would be crushed inside if you found out the true self of yourself.

Did you know that the Christians killed more humans and commited more genocide that any other race on this planet, did you know in Canada the Church with the help of the RCMP would go into Native villages and distribute the bay blankets laced with disease they would also make the parents sign their own children over to the church to be subjected to rape molestation genital mutilation and also tried to make it so these poor helpless people would just dissapear and they could take their land, you christians are perfect examples of the sheeple walking around thinking everything is all right when you really know inside its pretend....

Know this

Do something right now take your hand and just look at it, now your hand looks solid but its really not if you put it under a proper microscope you would see a massive amount of energy vibrating, everything is made up of the exact same thing whether its your hand the ocean or whether its a star everything is energy.
Let me help you understand this just a lil bit, there is the universe our galaxy our planet and then individuals then inside of this body are organ systems then there cells then molecules then atoms then energy so there allot of levels to talk about something on. You alone have enough power in your body to illuminate your city for at least a week.
Most people define themselves as fine eyed body but you are not fine eyed bodies, even under a microscope you are a energy field, what we know about energy is this you go to a quantum physicist and you say "what creates the world" and he or she will say " energy" and what is energy ? well describe energy " it can never be created or destroyed, it always was always has been that ever existed, it moves into form through form and out of form" then you ask a theologian "what created the universe?" and he or she will say God and when you ask them to describe God they will say "it can never be created or destroyed, it always was always has been that ever existed, it moves into form through form and out of form" you see it is the same description but different terminology. So if you think you’re this big meat suite running around think again you are a spiritual being you are an energy field operating in a larger energy field. we are all connected we just don’t see it everything is one energy field, you are extensions of source energy you are here in these magnificent bodies but your body has distracted you from the most part of who you really are, you are source energy you are eternal beings you are god force you are that which you call god. We are the image and likeness of god we are the infinite feel of unfolding possibility. You were created in the image and likeness of the creative source you have god potential and power to create your world and maybe you are and maybe and maybe you have created things in the world that are worth of you and maybe you haven’t ?
We have the power within us and is therefore under our own control we US them have the power within us to change the entire world with one page of knowledge hudnreds of lives can be changed.
Spread the knowledge you have learned here today in reading this and share it with others.

Couldn't there be a much more bona fide, irrefutable way to install love and morals in one another on a more humanly connected spiritual level?

I mean most know common sense other's can be taught

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Oh yeah I forgot god gave man free will, he doesnt judge LOL its like a sick funny Joke.

OR sounds like a callous lil devient he is, either be good or I burn you with the premission of my Fallen angel Lucifer for ETERNITY, that right there is enough fear tactics to install morals in any child, if you believe it!

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by seridium
Did you know that the Christians killed more humans and commited more genocide that any other race on this planet

Source? This just sounds like utter BS to me considering "Christians" are not a race.

Also, you are the author of this thread, and yet you speak like you know the answer to your own question, so what is the purpose of your thread?

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
i'd like to say "to experience, to love, to learn!" but ultimately it's consumption. i;m here to consume. consume to live, live to consume. gimme gimme gimme.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

while i agree to live the life of NOW... i do not agree living without questioning the WHY. living without questioning isn't living your life you are just living for the sake of living. i believe there is a purpose for us to live a life. like the OP i have thought about this too, life is just not your daily grind of work, get the latest toys, and meat the girl of your dream. please dont take it personally it is not directly to you. I just see so many people chasing these things fervently makes me wonder what is there after these things?

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I agree that biologically theres no purpose of life except perhaps recreation, although as someone said, the universe wouldnt be that affected if we vanished, I do feel we have at least two responsibilities:
1) That everything in the universe and especially(for us) everything in the world is complexifying and we are the outcome/pinnacle of billions of years of complexity imo we are the universe trying to understand itself we are the first(until proven otherwise) to ask questions and form science which in itself is the universe looking and understanding itself.
2) Morally and sociologically we have to improve human relations and our treatment of animals and generally our relationship to the whole world around us. we're still to wipe out racism,sexism,discrimination,every other ism thats holding us back, and imho religiosity which is the back bone of alot of closed minded anti humanist bull$%*£.

So we have an responsibility to live grow and improve as a species for the sake of how who we are and what we can achieve if given enough time. We are only at the beginning of progressing and we should spend all our efforts to adding and progressing humanity as much as possible.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by refuse2lose2nwo
Without God, I would have no morals because I would refuse to let any other man dictate my life to me and tell what is right and wrong.

Really? You wouldn't know right from wrong if God didn't clue you in? You wouldn't be able to figure out that if you go around killing people that might have some negative consequences?

Remind me to not be around you if you ever figure out that there's no such thing as God, no matter how you choose to define it.

if someone were to show me 100 percent proof that God wasn't real, than i now also have a 100 percent reason to not care for anyone but myself.

Nobody can prove a negative, so I can't prove to you that God doesn't exist. All I can do is to ask you to try and define "God," and when you fail that, perhaps you understand how it would be foolish to believe in something you can't even define.

Just let me know what town you're in when you come to that realization.

P.S. -- Otherwise, going around ignoring the law and being ruthless will likely only get you incarcerated or killed. It doesn't matter in the end, or course, since our lives are essentially meaningless. So do as you like. But as long as I'm alive and there are things to enjoy, I personally would like to stay alive and relatively free. No need to hurry anything along. We'll all be dead soon enough. Might as well enjoy it while it lasts.

[edit on 20-8-2010 by Blue Shift]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
^ haha, serves me right for not looking through the thread, I missed the ridiculous comments of refusetolose2nwo. I dont wanna turn this thread into a religious bashing but he/she does sorta illustrate some of the madness of the thinking of religious thinkers and to be honest im kinda speechless stuck inna constant facepalm, shaking my head.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Disjecta Membra

I see nothing wrong with that particular poster's comments. You don't have to like the answer, nor agree with it. The OP asks what the purpose of life is, we all have the right to give our opinion.

Nowhere in his post did it say "you must" believe, it is what they feel is true to them. I wouldn't have even responded to you except there have been 2 posts attacking this person's beliefs. Totally not needed

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
True everyone should and is in my book intitled to their opinion but when someone states that if it were'nt for god(the scriptures) or there believe in it then noone would matter other than themselves that's like a red flag for anyone protecting the rights of anyone else because that person as they stated no longer has any morals, which is pretty alarming, that their own personal believe system doesnt include the morals and human decency that humans should have. That other humans have rights and feelings which cant just be abandomed and encroached on at will.

Is that in itself not kinda wierd and scary.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Disjecta Membra

That still doesn't change the fact that his belief gives him purpose. You are assuming alot from a single post. Believing in God doesn't discredit ones opinion. Thats just the point I'm trying to make.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
of course theres nothing wrong with a belief giving someone morals and knowing right from wrong but to say they have no morals otherwise is conserning and im not judging the person but the points he/she says, as on a forum thats all youve got.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unstable Affliction
there isn't such thing as "free-will".

Originally posted by Unstable Affliction
i will not let any of the laws/orders stop me from enjoying what i can here

Your second comment shows your determination to exercise your “free-will” to not let laws/orders stop you from certain enjoyment.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by seridium
If there was a god he wouldnt have been a coward and hid himself from everyone

Some who don't believe in a deity seem to have no problem hurling insults at something they don't believe to exist. Is it because the insults are really directed at those who believe in a deity?

Either way you must admit that you do hurl insults which makes your code for living undesirable.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join