It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20 Things You Need to Know About Ashwagandha

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   

20 Things You Need to Know About Ashwagandha

www.healthbooksummaries.com

Like the tomato, ashwagandha bears yellow flowers and red fruit, though the fruit is berrylike in size and shape. Ashwagandha grows prolifically in India, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka. All parts of the plant are used in herbal medicine. Ashwagandha has been used for more than 2,500 years as a "vitalizer."

Ashwagandha is a sexual "grounding" herb that reduces the frequency of premature ejaculation and increases sexual stamina.

- Phyllis A. Balch, CNC, Prescription for Herbal Healing: An Easy-to-UseDo not eat ashwagandha berries, as they can cause severe gastrointestinal pain. Taking ashwag
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.herbwisdom.com

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 8/21/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
First off i have researched health for many years on my own. Yes i doubt you would learn this at a university
Anyways this herb is short of a miracle. We all have stress, i mean look at what site i am posting this on haha. I'm full of jokes. But now to the nitty gritty. this is a powerful adaptogen. what that really means is anti stress and helps to rebuild your body from the inside out. we all have some ailments. well this is the most inclusive of rebuilding tonics. this herb can help raise test levels "in my opinion, and study's seem to point that way." So for those who think the police state is coming may be interested in a natural way to get prepared for the worst. it will help your mind and body. I truly believe everyone should be growing this herb for themselves and family. It is what i call part of my survival pack. also i would like to point out it is quoted above that it can cause insomnia. so last night i had some and sleep very deeply. Anyways i hope you enjoy this post.

www.healthbooksummaries.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
How did you make it?

Did you get root powder?

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
well they make extracts. but the problem is they leave out the rest of the ingredients. As far as i know the root has the most active part of the whole plant. so i would get some seeds, grow it and then harvest the root. Make a powder and encapsulate it. so yes powder. but be aware it tastes bitter. So this is why i say encapsulate it.
thanks for the reply!

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Theres are some caveats to using adaptagens that should be made clear before using them for extended periods as thy have potential deliturious effects as well...this is not to take away from their fantastic effect on health, I only seek to add to your knowledge base in regards their correct use.

Ashwaganda is from the Ayurvedic system still practiced over 5000 years in India. Adaptagens use in Chinese and Ayurvedic herbology is very similiar and 99.9% of the time they are coupled with other herbs to counter adaptagens "cloying" nature ie...they cause mucous in the spleen and digestive tract over long term usage unless you counter it.

For instance the most popular adaptagenic formula in China is the 4 gentlemans decoction: The main adaptagen herb is either ginseng or codonpsis, two assistant herbs poria fungus and white atractylodes are there to counter the mucous causing nature of the adaptagen. Poria leaches dampness from the body whereas white atractylodes reduces blood sugar levels which cause mucous. Licorice root is added as a harmonizer and to carry the formula to all 12 meridians rather then the 2-4 normally activated by the main herbs.

Remember that immune receptors are found in the digestive tract (90%) so mucous will not only slow digestion and inhibit energy, but it will also reduce immune function. At the very least dry as much orange or tangerine peel as you can and take your adaptagens with a small amount of the dry citrus, which has a qi decending attribute and will help usher mucous forming compounds out of the body.

There are a number of fantastic adaptagens: Rhodiola, Ginsengs, codonopsis, ashwaganda, maitake, saw palmetto(not just for prostate) the list is long , long indeed.

Im working on a whole herb series of posts presently perhaps you will find interest in them, presently I am working on survival foods and medicine in the American wild.

[edit on 19-8-2010 by Shadowfoot]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Well put and organized, I appreciate the additional info. very true though, as much as anything can heal. It also can harm. Moderation is always key. I really enjoyed the part with the oranges and tangerine peels idea. Mainly because there is plenty of misinformation about the digestive tract and how "un" important they public domain make it seem. I look forward to your upcoming post about survival foods and medicine. Keep up the good work.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
---all caps---

---removed---

[edit on 19-8-2010 by alien]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
hahahaha, You know it brother

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TexasSailor

A search for Ashwagandha brings up no studies at all. All I get is links to sites selling it, claiming studies were done, but that have no links to the studies.

Do you have any links to valid medical studies? I don't touch anything that can't be confirmed safe and effective. Too many scams in the health food industry to trust this stuff.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Im not sure if you read the previous posts, but ashwaganda has been used for better then 5000 years in Ayurvedic medicine. There are thousands of studies in India and numerous materia medicas. One must broaden there research skills when dealing with any number of things beyond the parameters of western science if you want to open your understanding.

For instance the United States Pharmacopeaia in 1976 was exactly the same in ratios for source materials (animal,mineral,plant) as Galens Materia Medica circa 100 AD.

Now since many of these books are not available to link from simple online searches and a cut and paste functions you will need to visit a library, or a used bookstore to get many of the sources I speak from.

You can however find a great many studies out of India, China, Korea, Australia and England if you spend a little time. As I do that for a living, I would reccommend it to you. You might be pleasantly surprised in the abundant information, far surpassing the 80 year pharmaceutical model, filled with half cocked double blind testing rather then evaluating through empericism like all other societies of far greater age and depth then the West.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I agree their are very few study's easily found online. but you need to look at what you are doing. online research has its limitations. just as Shadowfoot pointed out there is information on this subject by its use in Ayurveda medicine for thousands of years. Just as tobacco has health benefits, it is up to you to decide as to if you choose to use it.
just pointing out the facts. My reason for posting in the first place is personal experience. As always i try something before i recommended it. It has worked wonders in my life for stress, sleep and overall vitality. Have a good one

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

If you have a look at Wikpaedia - Ashwagandha, at the bottom, under references, there are links to some studies.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Just a very quick look on google produced this about testing of this herb....

Ashwagandha

Scholars from the University of Leipzig looked at the effects of ashwagandha on the brain. They dosed rats with ashwagandha and then looked at their brains to see if ashwagandha affected neurotransmitters. The research showed that ashwagandha led to more acetylcholine receptor activity. The scholars concluded that the increase of activity in that particular neurotransmitter could account for the increase in cognitive ability and memory that is attributed to ashwagandha.

Researchers at the University of Texas Health Science Center also looked at the effects of ashwagandha. They found that extracts of the shrub had activity that was similar to GABA, which could explain why the plant is effective in reducing anxiety.

Another study, conducted in 2002, found that ashwagandha leads to increased growth of axons and dendrites. Another study in 2001 found that the plant can enhance memory. A 2000 project indicated that ashwagandha reduced anxiety and depression in animals.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowfoot
Theres are some caveats to using adaptagens that should be made clear before using them for extended periods as thy have potential deliturious effects as well...this is not to take away from their fantastic effect on health, I only seek to add to your knowledge base in regards their correct use.

Ashwaganda is from the Ayurvedic system still practiced over 5000 years in India. Adaptagens use in Chinese and Ayurvedic herbology is very similiar and 99.9% of the time they are coupled with other herbs to counter adaptagens "cloying" nature ie...they cause mucous in the spleen and digestive tract over long term usage unless you counter it.

For instance the most popular adaptagenic formula in China is the 4 gentlemans decoction: The main adaptagen herb is either ginseng or codonpsis, two assistant herbs poria fungus and white atractylodes are there to counter the mucous causing nature of the adaptagen. Poria leaches dampness from the body whereas white atractylodes reduces blood sugar levels which cause mucous. Licorice root is added as a harmonizer and to carry the formula to all 12 meridians rather then the 2-4 normally activated by the main herbs.

Remember that immune receptors are found in the digestive tract (90%) so mucous will not only slow digestion and inhibit energy, but it will also reduce immune function. At the very least dry as much orange or tangerine peel as you can and take your adaptagens with a small amount of the dry citrus, which has a qi decending attribute and will help usher mucous forming compounds out of the body.

There are a number of fantastic adaptagens: Rhodiola, Ginsengs, codonopsis, ashwaganda, maitake, saw palmetto(not just for prostate) the list is long , long indeed.

Im working on a whole herb series of posts presently perhaps you will find interest in them, presently I am working on survival foods and medicine in the American wild.

[edit on 19-8-2010 by Shadowfoot]

What?

Sorry, not being a smart-butt or anything but could you please put this in bullet format in layman's terms for me. Coffee must not have set in yet and I really want to know what you said.

Thanks!!

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
My mother in law is coming from India in 2 weeks or so
She will be bringing me some of this in capsule and herb form... along with Tulsi and Neem leaves too.

My mother has an inflammed forearm due to an accident 10yrs ago, yes it's still swollen. Neem is the only that has worked in reducing infllmation so far.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Well, I guess to encapsulate what I said above into a laymans brief, the essential point being made is: Adaptagens/Tonic herbs- herbs that strengthen organ/endocrine function, boost immune fx and sitmulate general well being...should be coupled(put in formula) with herbs that counter mucous,sugar and water retention in the body as Tonic herbs over the long term taken by themselves will lead to excess mucous. Mucous in the digestive tract interferes with absorption of nutrients and immune function since 90% of immune receptors are found in the digestive tract.

I gave dried citrus peel as one option to counter the mucousal nature of tonics and used an example of a Chinese tonic formula employing Poria Fungus (a polypore) and white atractylodes ( a flower Rhizome) that accomplishes the same effects.

The meridian mentions I made might take an entire thread to explain correctly, so Ill put that together in a thread soon. I hope this helps, it looks as wordy as my previous posts.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
also just to note, as shadow said there can be a build up of mucous. Lemon juice in water works pretty good at attaching and pulling the mucous lining out.
Just my experience. I would talk about chlorella and Spirulina but there is already a thread. i don't know the link so forgive me.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

When used to increase sex drive, ashwagandha should not be taken in instances of acute sexual anxiety, as its effects take hold only after about one week of daily use.

Ash way and ha...

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by tooo many pills

Was that a contribution to the thread?

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
these news is helpful,thank you

top topics

join