It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Talk On Cell Phone? = GO TO JAIL AND GET FACE BEAT IN

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Although, yes, we can't know every tiny detail about this event, two things strike me as damning.

1) They paid him compensation
2) The officers got disciplined for filing false reports.

I don't think though, that three days suspension is enough.

The police are so important to the fabric of our society, and it's so important for the public to be able to trust them, that I think we should take a zero-tolerance approach. If a cop is found to have so much as lied, they should be fired.

We need that kind of strong deterrent and punishment to help restore peoples faith in the police, and discourage any other cops from doing similar things. Right now, when they know that they will probably just get suspended on full pay for a few days, or transferred to a desk job for a few weeks, there is no serious disincentive.

I don't think the police department or internal affairs should have the last say on discipline either, it makes it too easy for cops to cover for each other. The final decision should be made by the people who pay their wages - the tax payers. It could be done like a civil court trial, a panel of ordinary citizens would decide based on any evidence presented by the vicitm, the police department, local civil rights groups, and other interested parties, with a low threshold of 'proof'.

It might seem a bit harsh, but this job is so important i'd rather err on the side of firing too many cops than not enough.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

I can't watch that sort of #, makes me really angry.

When he zoomed out I got angrier, and turned it off.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I can't keep up with all these threads about the criminality of LEO's. Law misenforcement that is. Round 'em up and ship 'em off to some far away place? There must be a solution. We need to find one soon; this is geting way out of hand. Where's the POTUS on this sickening trend?

new topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join