It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions about sleep paralysis

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by joe7pack

What is truth?

Truth is a fact that has been verified.

So if you could show some to back up your claims then I'd love to see it.

Again, with all due respect but I get the feeling you're trying to change the subject here by asking me a question (quoted above) instead of answering the ones I originally asked you.

And to say, in my 42 years on this planet I have never been adjudged as insane.

That’s good but I’m not sure why you felt it was necessary to mention this.

I actually didn’t insinuate anything to suggest this at all so it seems rather irrelevant IMHO.

Again, I get the feeling you’re trying to change the subject once more.

No need for long discourse.

This is a discussion site, in this discussion site you’re here to discuss your views and others are here to challenge them.

If you don’t want to do that then why post your views in the first place?

Seems kinda pointless to post your views and have no one comment on them or worse still, have absolutely everyone agree with them all don't you think?

So yes, there is a very very VERY good reason for long discourse.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

I understand tuuth as I know it and it works for me.

And yes, I'm a bit tired of the "if you say it's truth prove it" mantra all the strictly scientific folk always use.

Like I said, I have found the truth, the truth has set me free, and I have no need to prove it to anyone else.

The only reason I answered was through a certain compassion for the original posters questions which they are struggling to understand.

Since I have been through the same thing, and have been released from that condition by the Creator.

I don't need to discuss points which are not valid, such as your point about whether or not I have been found insane.

Pure informed logic, if you think about it, should show that is a very pertinent point.

[edit on 2-9-2010 by joe7pack]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   

And yes, I'm a bit tired of the "if you say it's truth prove it" mantra all the strictly scientific folk always use.

That's fair enough but surely you can understand where I'm coming from here.

There surely can’t be anything wrong with wanting to back up your own claims to be absolutely certain of something is there?

The scientific approach is slated at times (not necessarily by you) and I simply can't understand why because it surely makes much more sense to back up a claim rather than blindly believe. IMHO.

The only reason I answered was through a certain compassion for the original posters questions which they are struggling to understand.

That's why I posted. I experienced what I felt like was the same thing so I tried to share my knowledge on the subject hoping it could be helpful to them too.

I don't need to discuss points which are not valid, such as your point about whether or not I have been found insane.

Umm..Sorry to be the one to tell you this but.....You brought it up!

I never suggested anything like this to you at all.

I wanted to discuss the topic but you felt the need to talk about your own mental well being, without provocation.

An action which made no sense what so ever.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
you know the reason why there is no sin greater than another?

why stealing a piece of candy is equal to murder. a sin is a sin.

because of our conscience.

we judge ourselves, we decide for ourselves what is right or wrong but if we lose sleep over something, who are we fooling?

i think everyone sees the same shadows because everyone has guilt and guilt has no particular face. maybe it grows one when we refuse to confess and nurture and foster it.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I personally have not taken the "scientific" explanation completely myself...Although sure I would find comfort in there being some type of explanation given in reality of the experiences and find comfort in knowing there is a scientific/physical way of putting sleep paralysis into a more easier and positive(although none the less scary) light.

With that being said...As myself and Rise against have both stated...We believe in the paranormal and agree that not ALL s.p. accounts/experiences can be easily shoved into the "explainable" category

If feelings are the language of the soul(IMHO ) then I suggest and try to practice to the best of my ability that we all individually take heed in our own "gut" instincts and feelings on our own personal experiences...Some will not budge an inch even when given complete honest and factual truth/explanation and others be that they may are 100% skeptical no matter what.

And there are others when given reasonable explanation choose to believe or "know" for certain that what they experienced is not simply able to be explained away or justified by scientific study....and I say this with just about any kind of "weird/paranormal/other worldy" phenomena .

When it comes right down to it...imo it is all about finding out the truth ...Even if it so happens to be either different for the individual or even something we are not willing to accept nor like.That is why I joined ATS for answers and the interest of the unknown.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Patenciq

The hallucinations occur because your brain releases '___' a strong tryptamine. the reason why people have "bad trips" is because of your lack of control in the situation. if you relax your mind (if you can) in the situation it can actually be quite enjoyabe.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by clever024
reply to post by Patenciq

The hallucinations occur because your brain releases '___' a strong tryptamine. the reason why people have "bad trips" is because of your lack of control in the situation. if you relax your mind (if you can) in the situation it can actually be quite enjoyabe.

That may be your experience, but imagine this happening to a little child.

Plus mine went beyond seeing the scary "halucinations" to actual physical attacks.

My point is many people are having the same problems, and the only way mine went away was to appeal to the highest power in this world and that is God.

When He answered my mothers prayer to send Angels to chase away the evil spirits it was mind blowing and yet beautiful and not scary.

The effect was that from that point to this very day the nightmares and spiritual attacks have not returned.

I call that evidence after action and therefore Truth.

I will be brief, stop thinking this is all natural, in many cases it is not.

You need to use the most powerful name in the umiverse to come against that level of evil....Jesus.

But you must believe He is able to do anything and ALWAYS use HIS NAME to command the evil spirits to leave.

* But be warned - Many who try this without being an actual Christian get attacked by the same spirits.

If you are not a Christian, I suggest going to a strong true Christian church to get the elders to pray for release of the oppression.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

For some religion/Christianity may be the answer or find comfort and solace...I will not deny you or anyone that right/choice
Though not everyone is going to agree or follow your belief and mindset my friend.
thank you for your responses and concern .
Love and peace

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I've experienced what I call "Sleep Paralysis Disorder" many times since a very young age. At around age 7 or so, I wasn't aware of any scientific explanation (obviously), but at some point in my teenage years I became retroactively aware of the condition in my past experiences (strange "hallucinations" which I never dared to tell my parents out of fear of being labeled crazy.)

At around age 14 or so, I had my first "conscious" episode...where I was aware that I had just waken up and was unable to move my body. The "popular culture center" in my brain immediately came to the conclusion: "I'm being abducted by aliens." It was frightening at first, but subsequent episodes taught me how to have fun with it.

Several years later, I did research on the topic and found out that this is actually a quite common occurance in the population.

One thing I've learned about this "disorder" is that I'm always able to move my eyes, but not my body. I'm able to look around the room, and look at the various hallucinations which manifest within my conscious perspective.

I've also learned to exit such episodes on command. The trick: focus my eyes. When I focus my eyes, it sort of feels like a "rippling" throughout my brain, as if my eyes just commanded my subconscious to "let go of command." It works every time.

Now I don't have any real scientific insight to give towards this topic, but I wanted to describe an even rarer condition which I've also experienced.

First let me state that I've witnessed, with my own two eyes, an Ambien user get out of bed, easily navigate a kitchen, and make a sandwich - all with eyes closed and seemingly in deep sleep: sleep walking. The fact that you can even have a conversation with this person, which they won't remember, is amazing. The fact that this person could even navigate a hallway, a kitchen, and make a sandwich, eyes closed, without bumping, tripping, or dropping anything is even more amazing.

This is where it got spooky. I've never used Ambien, and the following event happened before Ambien was even on the market.

One time I experienced a Sleep Paralysis episode where I actually witnessed my own body get out of bed and start sleepwalking. I call it "Conscious Sleep Walking Paralysis." I'm almost positive this is where the religious community gets the concept of "possession" (and subsequently the practice of exorcism), because that's exactly what it felt like.

In this rare episode, I was aware of my surroundings, and aware of my body, but I wasn't in command of my body. My body was doing it's own thing: in this case, getting a glass of water and returning to bed. This wasn't a dream. I had a roommate to verify what happened. He said my eyes were closed, but I'm 100% positive I was visually aware of my surroundings. This was a legit sleepwalking experience, in which somehow, I was able to remain conscious of the entire experience.

The crazy part is, after my "body" returned to bed and laid down, it was almost as if I was "pulled into" the subconscious. Pulled into the dream in a way. I could actually feel this happening...almost like some sort of subconscious teleportation. It was interesting to say the least.

Any way, I wonder if the "presence" we feel while in a Sleep Paralysis episode is some sort of manifestation of our own subconscious, conscious, or perhaps even some sort of "third subconscious."

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
What puzzles me is the fact that none of us are related and yet appear to share similar experiences.
I have had sleep paralysis having just got into bed! I know for a fact i wasn't asleep when some of these events happen.
One time i had literally just got into bed. Got myself comfy, then bosh! The buzzing in my head, the bright white energy??? This particular time, i refused to open my eyes. Next thing i know i'm on the ceiling looking down on myself. What i saw, you couldn't make it up! It was my first oobe and gosh did i know it!
I have never seen anthing so graphic in my life. What i saw, will stay with me forever. The front of my face was missing and the back of my head. I can't go on sorry. Sufffice to say i think i have posted the event on here before. it's more than a story, more an experience. To me it is real. There are other things that have happened to me, that you just couldn't make up.
What ever it is it has never harmed me. Aliens yes, they do come into it and no one will convince me otherwise!!!

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Your encounter intrigues me happiness. These episodes are indeed the most bizarre experiences of my life.

Your episode makes me think of the book "Phantoms in the Brain" by VS Ramachandran. He has some pretty fantastic theories on how the brain works in relation to recognizing faces; mainly regarding disorders where a patient can't recognize his own face or the face of a close family member; like some sort of facial amnesia.

If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say it's possible you somehow became "detached" from your body (some sort of Third Eye stuff I assume), and in some way you were observing the natural underlying functions of the face recognition mechanisms in your own brain. Perhaps the "face machine" stayed with your body, and couldn't communicate with the other half of you...floating in the air and all. Maybe what you were seeing is what a "facial amnesia" patient sees, subconsciously, when they look at a face they can no longer recognize. Just a wild theory. This stuff fascinates me.

Not that anyone cares about dreams, but I had this one where my father's face was complete distorted by this sort of black vortex. Maybe the worst nightmare I've ever had. Could be something similar.

edit on 14-9-2010 by xiphias because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-9-2010 by xiphias because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-9-2010 by xiphias because: Sorry, I'm new here.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
The plot thickens, though. Prior to this episode of sleep paralysis, i had been suffering on and off for a few weeks with a raging toothache.
Just before i left my body, so to speak, i had heard a loud click. All of a sudden my head started to roll forward and then judder slowly back. This carried on back and forth, at this point, i'm still refusing to open my eyes!
Then next thing i know i'm looking down from the the ceiling onto me still tucked up in bed. It wasn't quite like that though. I looked comforable enough, but i could see my head physically jolting backwards andf forwards...slowly as in a mechanical motion. I could actually feel something going on at the back of my head, but i couldn't see anything. What i could see was a bright white fog coming out of the back of my head, the same where my face would be, although the white fog wasn't so thick or illuminated. Then the most bizarre bit. Looking down on my head, my jaw was in an xray and i could see every tooth in my head. Infact i remember they were also chattering as if i was cold, but i wasn't cold. It felt like something was also pulling or tugging gently inside my head. There was white/yellow spotlight shining down onto my head, so i could see everything. As much as i was allowed too. There was alos a thinner white/ yellow beam of light shining on to my face coming from my the ceiling in my cupboard right onto my face. This went on for over 20 minutes.
Now i had just got into bed when all this started, no one can get to sleep that quick!
To me that was as real as going to work, or breathing... i would swear on oath, that really happened to me. As for the toothache? GONE! So far it hasn't returned.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join