It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi judge seeks spine punishment

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   

www.independent.ie

A Saudi judge has asked several hospitals whether they could deliberately damage a man's spinal cord as punishment after he was convicted of attacking another man with a cleaver and paralysing him.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I am all for fair punishment but this doent sit right with me.

If you steal you lose a hand etc seems understandable.

To intentionally paralyse a criminal I really feel is just outside the limit. I feel the people who will really suffer will be his family and all the care that will be needed for him in the future.

Maybe I am just being too sensitive??

Thoughts??

www.independent.ie

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
the perp?

attempted murder, assault with deadly weapon, assault with intent...etc.etc.

yeah, why not?

[edit on 19-8-2010 by fooks]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
why do they have to be creative.

just hang him like a real criminal...

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
there's a reason countries that still do that type of punishment are backwards and the countries that don't are advanced.

don't glorify such cruelty, it's best to have as little of it as possible .....

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by 19872012

I think its a bit unfair to call them "backwards". They live their lives under their beliefs which they have a right to.

With the amount of murders, robberies and general disrespect for people in this world I am not of the opinion that we are "advanced". Maybe there was a time when we had an advantage but I think we are slipping into general free for all.

In Saudi Arabia there is alot more respect among the general population for each other, it might be enforced in a hard way but it works!!

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Irish Matador

It's silly but what place I have to tell them how to run their laws! Perhaps their buddy GW Bush can give them some improvised ideas on how to torture, they might listen to him. S.Arabia laws are backward is my opinion.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Irish Matador

I think its a bit unfair to call them "backwards". They live their lives under their beliefs which they have a right to.

With the amount of murders, robberies and general disrespect for people in this world I am not of the opinion that we are "advanced". Maybe there was a time when we had an advantage but I think we are slipping into general free for all.

In Saudi Arabia there is alot more respect among the general population for each other, it might be enforced in a hard way but it works!!

a lot of things that are crimes like honor killings and beating your wife are not crime there. i think the reasons crime is low there are more complex than their cruel punishments. i mean if harsh punishment stopped crime, canada would be far more dangerous than the us. but it's actually far more safe.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   

www.independent.ie

A Saudi judge has asked several hospitals whether they could deliberately damage a man's spinal cord as punishment after he was convicted of attacking another man with a cleaver and paralysing him.

An eye for an eye is backwards and each time someone suffers violence even for their use of violence then it ripples across society to do the same acts.

As in the microcosm the same for the macrocosm. I say the concept is in aspect very retrograde.

If someone murders some one and they receive a death sentence then the ones inducing the death sentence are just as much murderers as the 'criminal'.

[edit on 19-8-2010 by 11118]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

If they choose to live their lives under laws handed down in the 7th and 8th centuries, that IS their right. However, it's still right to call that "backwards" since much of the rest of the world has moved on from there.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

It is a personal choice to call them backwards. Doesnt mean its right.

All societies have grown from this type of punishment and alot of countries in the world still implement them.

I am glad I live in a modern society with courts, jail sentences and fines. Doesnt mean my world is better to theirs.

The reason I posted my OP was because it made me think 1. How extreme the punishment was and 2. I found it very hard to decide whether the punishment actually fit the crime.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by 19872012
there's a reason countries that still do that type of punishment are backwards and the countries that don't are advanced.

...curious - what reason would that be and which countries do you consider "advanced"?...

...in the usofa, pre-teens have been tried as adults and some were sentenced to life without parole because they killed their abuser(s) or were manipulated by a pedophile to commit a violent crime - and - we still execute mentally retarded people here...

...are those examples in line with what you consider proper management of criminals in an "advanced" country?... if not, could you post some examples that support your view of an "advanced" country?...

...while the saudi judge's query is certainly fodder for discussion, its really none of my biz how they handle their criminals because i dont live there - and - it would hypocritical to demean some other country's laws when many of my own country's laws are archaic hooey legislated and enforced by knuckle-draggers...

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
My problem with the whole things is...have any hospitals responded with how this would be done?

I thought the Hippocratic oath the physician took would sorta negate this line of questioning?

just curious.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks

Originally posted by 19872012

...curious - what reason would that be and which countries do you consider "advanced"?...

...in the usofa, pre-teens have been tried as adults and some were sentenced to life without parole because they killed their abuser(s) or were manipulated by a pedophile to commit a violent crime - and - we still execute mentally retarded people here...

...are those examples in line with what you consider proper management of criminals in an "advanced" country?... if not, could you post some examples that support your view of an "advanced" country?...

...while the saudi judge's query is certainly fodder for discussion, its really none of my biz how they handle their criminals because i dont live there - and - it would hypocritical to demean some other country's laws when many of my own country's laws are archaic hooey legislated and enforced by knuckle-draggers...

You don't live there, ergo the suffering of the people is something you don't care about? I guess if another genocide breaks out in some foreign country, we can all have a good chuckle about how stupid they where to be born over there!!!

I have a thousand quarrels with their governments handling of things that they shouldn't even be handling in the first place!!!

How you juxtapose the United States with Saudi Arabia and call them equally fair to citizens just blows my mind!

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   

I am all for fair punishment but this doent sit right with me.

If you steal you lose a hand etc seems understandable.

To intentionally paralyse a criminal I really feel is just outside the limit. I feel the people who will really suffer will be his family and all the care that will be needed for him in the future.

Maybe I am just being too sensitive??

Thoughts??

www.independent.ie

It shoudl be this way everywhere we humans exist eye for and eye, if you feel teh need to harm someone and dont get away with it or if you rape a boy you should be sodomized priests should be put to death by the same values and rules that lead them, then let their so called imaginarey stupid god to judge them, this world is full of retards that dont think before tehy act that woudl teach them.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   

I am glad I live in a modern society with courts, jail sentences and fines. Doesnt mean my world is better to theirs.

Really?

If you don't think the modern society you live in is better, then why are you glad to live in it?

Sometimes I think people try too hard to bend over backwards trying to show acceptance for things that really do not deserve acceptance.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Coming soon to a neighborhood near you. Compliments of Cordoba.
New Yorkers' beware. Going to be some strange operations happening in that city.
Second thought: Tourists beware.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

yeah and all the in God we trust on all your money
and most laws in the US coming from the bible
and encluding the fact the US also uses the death penalty

way to go and act high and mighy

your society is no greater or lesser then their medevil society

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Got to love this eye for an eye business. I get bumped from behind on the freeway so I get to ram the other guy's car from behind. Great.
Home invasions, muggings, armed robbery; just think of the possibilities.
Almost worth having trouble just to get revenge.
Sure beats giving the bird.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I am not for any death penalty.
Lock him up for life, it's much worse than death.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join