It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palin defends Dr. Laura over N-word rant: ‘Be thankful for her voice, America’

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by rival
Wow, lots of posts, A sensitive issue.

I'm going to side with black people here.

Black people can say the N word.

White people cannot.

Think of it as reparations.

The only time white people can use the N-word is when they are greeting
white friends and NO black people are around. Then it is permissible
to say in greeting...

YO!...What UP *N* !

To you black people...We white folk actually do that all the time
Think of it as a compliment...

This whole situation is not even a "race" issue. Its a human issue.

How is this any different than what a child goes through at school when he/she is bullied? Why do we get hung up on separating problems into their own categories? Why do we refuse to see the commonality that will enable us to simplify things?

It doesn't matter what this woman was called because in the end she was hurt. If she was attacked another way her pain would have been just as real as it is now.

For anyone who fails to see how this issue is related to a much bigger issue, I raise these following questions:

Why is there so much violence in the dating scene between men and women?
Why is there violence in schools?
Why is there work place violence?
Why does bullying cause a person to commit suicide?
Why are homeless people attacked in the streets for no reason?

If you can't see the commonality between all of these issues then I can't help you.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SaosinEngaged

I don't quite understand your use of sarcasm when you said "since you have experienced it, it must be true."

Are you trying to say I'm extrapolating my personal experiences to the entire population? Or are you saying that, even though I experienced these things, it does not matter or is somehow irrelevant.

I'm not trying to be contentious, I'm just asking for clarification.

True...sarcasm is often lost in text.

What I was going at is that just because you experience it in your personal life, it doesn't mean that is how the entire world or nation is.

If that isn't how you meant it...then please disregard the comment.

Also, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply you were accusing me of those things. Again, I was just ranting because every time I do my job, I get accused of those things. It's almost like I'm conditioned to defend my opinion with disclaimers of "I'm Not Racist."

Please understand, if I so much as discuss an issue with certain minority employees at my place of work, I have received comments from every angle of the intolerance spectrum. It gets old fast.

I agree...it would get old...and it isn't right no matter what side it is coming from.

This whole back and forth with us is because I made a comment about discrimination and you implied I meant racism.

So let me make it clear.

Anyone regardless of race, religion, or gender can be racist...and it is wrong in any occasion.

Discrimination is a bit different. It would be silly to say whites have never been discriminated against...but any honest person should be able to clearly see that in America whites consist of a very very small percentage of discrimination cases when compared to minorities.

So for whites (as a group) to complain that they are so discriminated against is just a bit ignorant.

Again...being a victim of racism isn't the same as being discriminated against.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
dr laura should be comended!

unlike the spinless silent majority she had the balls to say what she thinks on this issue!

the empty can rattles the most.

political correctness can kiss my.........

[edit on 083131p://444 by riktus]

Ex

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
The Palin connection to this, is politics as usual
just ride whatever issue that might appease
the right -wing
so her name is mentioned in the press!

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Well honestly the woman had a point in what she was saying. She's a racist obviously and hateful, but what she said was, in fact, true.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

If Palin is the best America has we're all in deep # ! She's really an embarrassment to the education system....

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Palin is a political hack. Yeah, when she arrived on the scene at the '08 convention, I thought that maybe the Republican's had an "ace up their sleeve." Then I heard her afterwards and it was the same old rhetoric at each place. All of her answers were in trivial soundbites that rang hollow.

It became very obvious that she was being spoon fed exactly what to say and that she couldn't form a coherent answer to difficult questions. Now, I don't think she isn't intelligent, rather she needed more experience.

Maybe that's her allure; that she's the outsider. But, given what I've seen of her as of late, I'd say she's turned very much into an insider.

The latest video I saw of her with the teacher and the banner that read "Worst Governor Ever" showed her to be the bumbling mouthpiece that she is. And it's even more funny when her daughther chimes in.

Palin should steer clear of politics from now on.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I have a question, and I implore all Blacks (reguardless of nationallity) to answer, to wit:

Why is it ok for blacks (especially young ones in America, siince I dont know the amount used in any other country) to call each other the N-word, as well as everyone else, but when whites do it, it is being racist?

I truely do not understand?

I grew up in a small farm town, (almost all white) when I moved to a larger town when I was in 6th grade, I got into a huge fight because, I saw all of the blacks calling eachother that name, and I didn't know any better (stupid me). I learned fast not to call one of them that name! (especially when there are 15 of them standing around)

But here it is 24 years later and still don't see why it is ok for blacks to say it and not whites. I have even noticed that most blacks dont take offence when some other races say it (Notably Mexicans, and Middle-east).

Maybe I am just a dumb hick Redneck, But I truely dont get it.

I have black friends and even they cant give me a good reason for it. I do not call them that out of respect, but I do not take offence when they call me a redneck. It is just a "self-Stuck" title, just as it would seem the N-word is to some blacks. I dont get mad or take offence when anyone calls me a redneck or hillbilly, as I call myself those things.

I guess I am clueless.

I do believe that Dr. Laura should of used a little more decorum when addressing a topic that she knew would touch off this kind of backlash. It is her right to say it, but a little common sence would go a long way. And the caller "Jade" should of listened to her and not taken her statements out of context. (but Dr. Laura should of let her state her peace before diving in).

Thanks for reading MY rant.

[edit on 8/19/2010 by Ghost of Chewie]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I apologise if my previouse post offends anyone, it was not my intention.

I am not trying to "stir the pot" on this post but I am trying to reduce my personal ignorance.

Thanks to all who answer. GoC

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
So Palin defended Laura's first ammendment rights; she might be smarter than I give her credit for. Non-issue for me.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

I'm with you; no need for her to weigh in on the issue, nobody cares. Palin is akin to Donkey in the Shrek, you know the line, "OOO, OOO, pick me, pick me!"

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
palin needs to go away...far far away

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Sarah Palin and Dr. Laura can say whatever they want to, it is called free speech. It is the liberals who fear-monger and make people afraid to say what is on their minds, OP.

I considered myself a liberal all the way until Obama got elected, and then I decided that I was a moderate. Free speech doesn't work unless everyone is allowed to speak, even those who are offensive or, heaven forbid, those you disagree with!

Part of the liberal agenda is to make anything that does not agree with their ways "offensive" and "criminal." To me, this strategy is offensive and shows a weakness - why are they so defensive that they don't let other people say things that disagree with them? Is their platform somehow weak, not worthy enough to stand up to real criticism and real thoughts?

Sometimes I wonder.

[edit on 19-8-2010 by darkbake]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost of Chewie

I think it is a sad day when you have to worry about being offensive while you are bringing up good points that deserve serious discussion. Are good points offensive? Probably, because they challenge someone else's viewpoint. So what.

There are problems with liberals and conservatives, but the liberals seem to think that anyone who attacks anyone in their camp is "offensive" while they are allowed to trash whites, farmers, conservatives, Christians, not just with harsh words (as a white person, if someone calls me a name, I don't sue them) but even irrational all-out assaults.

I don't see the problem with free speech. Really. The whole point of it is to offend people. That way, no one is afraid to bring their ideas into the open to be sorted out.

Liberals offend me all the time with their assaults on my liberties. I'm sure they also offend Christians even more with their dirty dirty minds and immoral actions, but they aren't sensitive to Christians, are they? No.

So why does the other citizenry need to be sensitive to them? We don't. That's retarded.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
This is retarded.

Second Line

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Although I disliked what Dr Laura said, she still has a right to say what she wants, just as we all do. I don't want that right removed.

I was particularly offended by the "black think" comment. Same as someone saying "That's white think" or that's "indian think". You're drawing comparisons between races and intelligence which is wrong. And no I don't really care to debate. This is a debate that no one can really win.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by fooks

What she said was wrong...and it's way more then just a "word" as most so smoothly put it. It's the meaning behind the word. Most informed blacks like myself shy away from it. It's bad enough I hear it often when I have dogs piss on the stuff cops pull out of my car for a routine stop...so when you go through hell like that on a monthly basis...feel free to use it. I don't...but take your heads out of your a**es and understand it's much more then just a word for us.

[edit on 19-8-2010 by Jenisiz]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
This is why I cannot support Sarah Palin, even though she claims to be conservative. It's not like Dr. Laura slipped and used the word once - it happened over and over again. And she didn't use the word as a point of reference to the word itself or it's slang. It was used in the sense of disrespect. It was wrong and should be considered unacceptable behavior, especially by people on the airwaves.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenisiz

I've seen it happen a few times, so called intellectuals believe that just by stating they have risen above now have free license to run amuck and nobody is supposed to be offended. She has a right to say the things that she did, I believe she meant not harm, but in the end she just wasn't taking into account the perspective of the caller or the audience, which isn't a smart thing for a radio jockey.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
^^Especially in the type of show she runs...what was she thinking? You slip it up on a talk show where those who are comfortable using the word as a substitute for brother and it's fine. But did she really think the blacks that listened to her show were n-word dropping people...no. You express content that appeals to you're listeners...not appal them.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join