It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palin defends Dr. Laura over N-word rant: ‘Be thankful for her voice, America’

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
See, packaged in. Or you wouldn't have gotten that reaction.

It is the person who reacted that has the problem, not me for using the word in a perfectly peaceful way.

How do you give a word power by NOT using it?

In the same way you give power to anything that makes it taboo. Just look at drugs for that one

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984

In the same way you give power to anything that makes it taboo. Just look at drugs for that one

People that use drugs will do so whether they are legal or not. No taboo, just addiction. I don't see that as a valid comparison. If it's "just a group of letters" what's the big deal getting rid of it then?

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984

People that use drugs will do so whether they are legal or not. No taboo, just addiction. I don't see that as a valid comparison. If it's "just a group of letters" what's the big deal getting rid of it then?

By making drugs taboo more people use it, what i am trying to say is that making a word taboo gives it power because it makes it even more offensive. If a word was not taboo, if it could be used in non offensive manners without the individual being arrested then the word loses power.

Look at it this way, there will always be people who want to insult another race and they will find ways of doing it. To ban a word seems like a non issue to me. Listen to what this woman said, she didn't even use it to refer to anyone, she used it to ask why it can't be used.

Does this mean we can never use a word, even in a historic context without being called a racist?

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

What makes this word any different from any other offensive slur, though? They exist for every race, religion, etc. there is...and at one time or another, just about any given group has been persecuted by another. Why is this one off limits?? Anybody who uses it against somebody else in a mean way should expect a fight or not say it, but the same goes for any insult.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal
Sorry but Dr. Laura is correct on this issue. You can watch any black comedian and hear the N word used repeatedly. Why is it ok for a black man to call another black man the N Word, than get so upset if a white man uses the same word in the same context?

It's not imo. It's a useless word who's time has passed. I can't for the life of me figure out why Blacks use that term. ESPECIALLY those in the entertainment business.

It isnt the same meaning, thats why....... its totally a different meaning and different way of spelling it when its in the entertainment music or in our communities.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I agree with Palin and Dr. Laura

They were trying to make a point and everyone took it the wrong way

this world sucks!!!!

Dr. Laura said it best on Larry King Live, everyone gets emotional but no one debates.
She is 100% correct and I stand by her!!

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Palin is a moron and the faster she disappears from the limelight, the better.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy nut
has anyone pointed out that when younger people use the word they say n**ga and it is used as slang not as a racial slur. when dr, laura used it she said n***er. either way its an awful word and i wish it were banned outright.

Yes, let's embrace ignorance so that are our feelings and emotions are spared. Sickening, if your offended fine, be offended, but don't whine about it all damn day and surely don't suggest that we should ban a word. It has been said many times, there is a space between stimulus and reaction, and in that space we get to DECIDE how we will react.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I wouldn't classify anything this Dr. Laura said as racist. She spoke the harsh truth accompnaied by her opinion. I'd call her a raging cutthroat bitch before I called her a racist though.

On a serious note, she should know better than to be a radio personality and open her mouth about such things. Right or wrong is not the issue here. The fact is that listeners are sensitive and she has to be mindful of that. Was she asleep during the Imus fiasco where he referred to the Syracuse women's basketball team as "nappy headed hoes"? She needs to realize that having your own radio show does not enable one to shout their views without recourse. Things in the USA are always taken out of context, and for her to not know this is indicative that she's either fed up or just plain stupid. Take your pick.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
First of all...her first amendment right was NOT violated. She choose to say it, and people are choosing to not listent to her, or companies are choosing to not advertise with her...but nothing is violated. First amendment doesn't say that you have the right to say anything without consequence or that anyone has to like what you said.

Second of all...I listened to the context...and what I hear is that Dr. Laura felt like she had an opportunity to say the N-word over and over and say "Hey...I'm just repeating it". Still doesn't make it right. Plus...her whole argument is that blacks shouldn't be offended by the N-word because black comedians use it. She told her to get a sense of humor...yeah...get a sense of humor about people calling you the N-Word...that's nice Dr. Laura.

I don't even have a comment for Palin besides she is just as clueless as ever...and her clueless fan base will support anything she says. And sorry to say Palin lovers...that fan base isn't as big as you think it is.

Overall...I think Dr. Laura is getting what she deserves and Palin continues to stick her nose where it doesn't belong...and speak about things that she doesn't understand (which is just about everything).

ETA: Missed a very important "NOT" in my first sentence.

[edit on 19-8-2010 by OutKast Searcher]

[edit on 19-8-2010 by OutKast Searcher]

I will say though that she has a point about the black community using it. I am one of 2 white people in my entire office of 50. I hear the word used on each other more times in one day then in my entire life combined.

And I hate that it is used. It puts me in a horrible awkward position. I can't rat people out becuase I would have to rat out half the office.

I think civil rights leaders are rolling in their graves.

[edit on 22-8-2010 by nixie_nox]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

dr. laura was trying to make a point but she did it in a terrible way. her "debate" points were ignorant and she would not even let the caller talk. that was just a complete trainwreck the minute she decided she was gonna go off on a ni**er, ni**er, ni**er tirade.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DondeEsta?

who is whining? i could care less if the world runs around calling each other every name in the book, but guess what i do care. what good does it do for us to ok this type of behavior? if we are gonna grow and evolve as a society we have to stop the hateful use of these words. you cant sit there and look at me with a straight face and say its better for society for people to call each other these names. that is just ridiculous unless you want to live in a world with street fights on every corner.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Just to be clear, I do NOT agree with Dr. Laura, but listen to the audio. Get the context. It's not like she was calling this girl a 'n-word'. Dr. Laura was TOO rude and didn't let Jade finish a sentence.

Please
The only thing the caller wanted was a white apologist willing to wallow in a puddle of white guilt. When she got reality thrown in her face, she immediately drew the race card.

It's about time this word and the dual standard of it's use are confronted openly.

As far as Palin. What do we expect? She's a partisan hack. If it's her guy, it's OK, if it's your guy, they need to be fired.

And why don't you list some of your liberal hacks that act any differently? Tons of them are standing up and defending Rangel and Waters on their filthy corruption charges. And on what grounds? Color. They've already thrown out the race card.

Friggin' hypocrites.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I don't like "Dr" Laura.

However - doesn't it seem odd to you that this woman is being mauled in the media for using this word, while the same people are defending the Imam for the Mega-Mosque who has ALSO used this word?

Shouldn't you be ready to fight all forms of this, and every hardliner - not just pick and choose the ones you dislike?

Just wondering.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
There's one thing to say it's your Constitutional right, but it's something else entirely to say whether or not it's wise to do something. Everyone in the USA has the RIGHT to own a gun, but it's just not WISE to let that sociopathic schizophrenic buy whatever he likes at a gun store.

Everyone's favorite mouthpiece Rush was on FOX news the other day screaming that the Nazis aren't allowed to put up a swastikia outside the Holocaust museum, in response to the unnecessary uproar about the Mosque near Ground Zero.

Actually, Rush, the Nazis DO have the right, under the first amendment, to put up a swastika outside the Holocaust museum, just like you have the RIGHT to broadcast your right wing bigoted opinions to anyone who will pay their cable companies extra for the priviledge of listening to FOX news. Fortunately, the Nazis have JUST enough grey brain cells left in their addled brains to realize that this probably isn't the wisest course of action.

Same with Dr. Laura and the N word. Sure, she has the first amendment RIGHT to say it on a nationally syndicated radio show or anywhere else she pleases, it's just not wise for her to do so, and she in now seeing the consequences of her actions.

Sure, Sarah Palin has the RIGHT to run for President, it just probably isn't the WISEST thing to do to elect her.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
I don't like "Dr" Laura.

However - doesn't it seem odd to you that this woman is being mauled in the media for using this word, while the same people are defending the Imam for the Mega-Mosque who has ALSO used this word?

Shouldn't you be ready to fight all forms of this, and every hardliner - not just pick and choose the ones you dislike?

Just wondering.

Personally, I've never once defended the Iman looking to build any Mosque. I've only ever defended the right of anyone to build any type of church they please, under freedom of religion.

However, I agree with Obama, when he says that even though they have the RIGHT to build their Mosques, this location might not be the WISEST choice.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
My final word on this subject

"Sticks and stones may break my bones but names can never hurt me".

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
My final word on this subject

"Sticks and stones may break my bones but names can never hurt me".

Just wait until I tell your boss that you are a pedophile. Or your local constables that you are a Muslim terrorist.

Then what tune will you be singing?

[edit on 23-8-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
To all of you people who say it is constitutionally sound to say anything you want, when you want and not face consequences, then you better read it again. Sure, you can say whatever you want, but you will definitely face the consequences for those words.

The First Amendment is great, the best one in the constitution, that is why it is first; but to say it says that you can say what you want, when you want is just plain ignorant.

It says that Congress shall pass no law against the freedom of speech, it doesn't say that the people cannot protest against what you say. If a CEO were to call someone the N-word, I'd expect the black community to boycott said CEO's company, which is totally legal.

I'm not defending what she said, I'm not defending how she said it. What I am saying is that she had the right to say it, but she didn't have the right to say it without consequence.

And Sarah Palin is an idiot.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy nut
reply to post by DondeEsta?

who is whining? i could care less if the world runs around calling each other every name in the book, but guess what i do care. what good does it do for us to ok this type of behavior? if we are gonna grow and evolve as a society we have to stop the hateful use of these words. you cant sit there and look at me with a straight face and say its better for society for people to call each other these names. that is just ridiculous unless you want to live in a world with street fights on every corner.

Would it be better to have rules for behavior or strong independent individuals who can make rational decisions on how to control their own response to external stimuli? Don't think street fights would break out at every corner, I could care less what you "SAY" about me, my family or friends. It would be a good opportunity to educate them on the follies of our species, now if you tried to threaten or harm them- then we have an entirely different matter. It is a matter of confidence in who you are and what you are here for- ignore the distractions and do what you have set out to do.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join