It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palin defends Dr. Laura over N-word rant: ‘Be thankful for her voice, America’

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Is it wrong? Is it racism? Is it rude if your right??

Sorry but Dr. Laura is correct on this issue. You can watch any black comedian and hear the N word used repeatedly. Why is it ok for a black man to call another black man the N Word, than get so upset if a white man uses the same word in the same context?

Case in point... Kat Williams. Very popular, black American comic. I counted 18 N words in a span of 2 mins and 19 seconds. It should go without saying, but I will add a WARNING for language on this video

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Dr. Laura has become an iconic radio personality, over many years. I personally could never stand to listen to her, she is obnoxious, and isn't much of a listener in my book.

But, to what standards do we need to hold radio personalities?

Should we regard them like priests and ministers (or, rabbis in this case)?

Should they be held to the same standards as a Supreme Court Justice?

No, obviously not.

This woman is an entertainer, and by those standards, maybe cut her some slack.

Plus, she's getting older, and after listening to the clip, she's sounding more senile these days, although I confess it had probably been 15 years since I heard her last. Again, I personally can't stand her, but, whatever, she's "entertaining" (I guess) to probably millions.

Now, for the "real" issue: Does she come off as a "racist"?

Yeah, mostly. But you know, she's Jewish, and guess what, they're a pretty racist bunch, which is probably why blacks and others don't bother to make too many distinctions, they're just "white" people, who usually have bigger mouths...

Now THAT, probably sounded "racist"...thank goodness I'm not a radio personality!

JR

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by caucazoid69
reply to post by MilzGatez

Ohhh, I get it now... hispanic gangbangers or homies (is that how you spell it?) are the defining authority on the use of the word N*gge* and any variation of it? Are you kidding me?

Since when do Hispanics lump themselves into the same disenfranchised class as Blacks? Wait, let me guess. Because hispanics are "minorities", and I use that term loosely, they can now "relate" with Black people and how they feel when someone calls them a n****r.. Did I get it right? because the White man is holding everybody down, we're the only group who CAN'T say n****r?
Can we at least say, in your words, "NIGGA"?

But wait, I'm still confused.. Dr. Laura is Jewish (you know, the most heavily persecuted group of people on the planet), doesn't this now give her full access to our little word? after all, her people have been held down and even almost annihilated. Seems to me, if any group of people had a right to call another group of people anything they wanted to, it would be the Jewish people....

Question, What kind of neighborhood do you live in? You listen to HIP-HOP? What kind of environment did you grew up in or are in??

That gangbanger comment was un-called for... Just for that you have no idea what the hell you talking about so there's no reason for me to keep on and explain this.

If you knew about Hispanic History, US Hispanic are also have Afro-Afraican Roots, Like myself.. Dominicans are known to have black in them, Matter of fact, All hispanic are mixed one way or another.. Look how us spanish people look and what different colors of skin tones we have. You could see a guy that looks straight up Black but when he speaks, You will know he is hispanic.And yes we are also minorities, Are you one?

Hispanic could relate to blacks when Blacks are called N----R, because when racist pricks want to offened hispanics, they call us SPICS, get it SPICS? or you want me to look that definition up for you too? There's really isnt any difference in how we live, the only difference is our Background and culture but we both face the same headaches and prujudices out in the world, the only thing is Blacks got a harsher Rep. then us Hispanics.
And what the hell is your last statement has to do with the word NIGGA? So save all your BS, Alright nigga? Cause you still wont know the difference between a NIGGER and a NIGGA and for your information, White people who are from the HOOD, Also say NIGGA but not to everyone just the ones they are very very closed to. Stay confused, its better that way.

Do you need some hood lessons so you can step your knowledge up?

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Just for the record, I married a Hispanic woman, who grew up with very little... take a guess how she greets people..

Hello Sir, hello ma'am.... no insults, no innuendos, just "Hello"... but now that we're in Texas, it's "Howdy"....

Ok and ? you want a cookie for that??

and Like I said... ITS PART OF OUR ENVIRONMENT and depending on which community you are in... People only speak like that when they with their friends (aka their NIGGAZ) but Show respect to our elders or someone who isn't the type to speak in that way at all like we would say in NY,Who isnt streets. Or even when we step out from our zone, We have to speak proper and leave that hood slang talk right in the hood.

That last statement is just ridiculous and ignorant because you making it seem like people from the "ghetto", from the "hood" dont have a proper vocabulary structure and dont know how to talk to other people

Keep it 100, Alright my nigga, Peace

[edit on 20-8-2010 by MilzGatez]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
where can i find the full audio of the interview.. i haven't heard it.. only sound bites.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Obviously your disgruntled by your own heritage. So sad. I do hope that your people find your own culture and stop latching on to the easy out. But we are drifting off topic. I support Dr. Laura and her bravery to say what needed to be said. Surely even you, a first or second year community college student, can agree with that. Try to drop the ghetto lingo and you might be able to fool your way into a real intellectual conversation. Peace be with you

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Obviously your disgruntled by your own heritage. So sad. I do hope that your people find your own culture and stop latching on to the easy out. But we are drifting off topic. I support Dr. Laura and her bravery to say what needed to be said. Surely even you, a first or second year community college student, can agree with that. Try to drop the ghetto lingo and you might be able to fool your way into a real intellectual conversation. Peace be with you

And who said I am? you know nothing about what I stand in or stand for, so sad that a person is so judgmental about another without knowing that person at all. I may look like i'm ignorant but you look like a fool for thinking the way you think and taking side of this so-called Dr. Laura and her 'n-word' mentally ( in case you didn't know the real meaning of the word , ignorant ).
Before you try to judge, try to learn first about how other people live and react with each other, "Buddy". I grew up with a lot of different cultures, all types of different people. I could talk like if i'm in the "ghetto" or I could talk like I'm very highly educated and intelligent like many other people that are look "lower" upon than the rest of "society".

And as to say " I do hope that your people find your own culture and stop latching on to the easy out. " just show how low your mentally is, no offense, "buddy". Come on now, How do you sound saying that uh? Nobody is following no one or using excuses for the way things are, and yes, there's a lot of blame in the governments for causing poverty and no educational values for minorities in lower communities, and also there's a blame to put on people in poverty for using that as an excuse to not move up on which now times are bit different and there's a lot more opportunities than before that minorities are actually moving up on but yet there's still a lot more work to be done.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by nh_ee

Dr. Laura is a phony/fake/fraud

Dr. Laura is a Fraud, for in actuality, she is NOT even a Psychologist but holds a PhD in Physiology.

A degree which has nothing to do with human interpersonal relations.

No wonder she responded as she did , perhaps it was PMS talking ?

I was fortunate enough to have had a Black roomate in college.
We used to get into these discussions over a bowl....or two of ....
kellogs cornflakes ...yeah, thats the ticket !

From the way in which it was conveyed to me....
The historical significance and origination of the N word going back to the days of Slavery has much to do with the word's offensive nature when used by White Slave Owners towards Blacks.

This originates from the days of servitude where the Master used the N Word in a denigrating manner instead of using the individuals name AND also as to why Blacks are also offended by the term "Boy" when used by Whites for the same historical reasons.

This originated amongst southern Blacks and has since transcended into Black culture, who use the term albeit in a non complimentary fashion.

The term "RedNeck" , though derogatory, was more descriptive of a class of White person, who worked in the fields, (and hence the physiological descriptive terminology) alongside Blacks in the fields.

This of course being in contrast to the Whites who were Land and Slave owners.

I learned this in College where I lived in a dormitory amongst many different people. Whites, Blacks, Jews and even Iranians (who are not all devout muslims btw).

I didn't realize it at the time but it really opened my then ignorant eyes as to how similar we really are.

In retrospect it was an excellent AND educational experience that I will forever cherish.

Peace.

congrats! but everyone knows that already. nice big letters tho.

hey! do you know who was the 1st person in the US to OWN a slave?

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I am calling it now. Please remember THIS POST.

PALIN WILL BE ELECTED PRESIDENT WHEN SHE RUNS.

America is THAT BAD OFF.

THERE IS NOTHING WE CAN DO TO AVOID THIS.

I do not say this in jest, nor am I smiling.

Yes, she's pretty cute. Yes, there might be *fantasies.* Yes, darn it, I'd DATE her. But, darn me if I'd want that gal to run the country.

But, she WILL win when she runs. SHE. WILL. WIN.

LOL

But. Really. She'll probably win the election. I call that she will.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I think calling her a partisan hack is giving her to much credit...

agree with you 100% though.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Dr. Laura sounds so extremely ignorant, it's painful to listen to her speak. She's one of those people that says such stupid things, it makes you cringe. But this "n-word" thing is ridiculous too. We sound like little kids, no word should have that kind of power over adults. It's an offensive word, but should be no more offensive than any other offensive word directed toward somebody who is not your friend, that you are trying to offend. If you think about it, even as a white person, it would piss you off if somebody that wasn't your friend called you a n***er to your face, not so much what they said, but how and why they said it to you.

To all those asking why black guys throw that word around, I think it's kind of disingenuous for people to feign stupidity when it comes to the difference between calling your friends names as male terms of endearment, and truly using a word in an insulting way towards somebody. If any of you actually had a conversation with a black person who throws that word around in the way you are confused by, you'd find that if they're comfortable with you they will call you a 'nigga' too, but unless you grew up in the same environment you'd sound like an idiot saying it back, and there would probably be an uncomfortable moment, but if you are their friend they'd know you didn't mean it in an offensive way. There are whites that use it though, who grew up in the same urban environments. Nobody blinks when Eminem says it in his songs.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Dr Laura pretty much said:
"Because its not offensive to me, it shouldnt be to you, and you are just over reacting!" Thats faulty logic and shows a certain degree of disrespect.

What the heck. (The point she was trying to make is the fact that we have a black man as president and yet we have more complaining then ever about racism)

So because white people voted for a black man, bigotry on a higher level should now be considered acceptable..??

Over sensitivity aside the issue is respect. If someone is offended by something out of respect you avoid exposing them to that.

The difference between katt williams, and other such non-sense, if that you have the ability to leave the offensive environment. You cant do that when its your own husband allowing for the offense in your own house. Respect!

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   

That is an intelligent response I can accept and live with.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal
Sorry but Dr. Laura is correct on this issue. You can watch any black comedian and hear the N word used repeatedly. Why is it ok for a black man to call another black man the N Word, than get so upset if a white man uses the same word in the same context?

It's not imo. It's a useless word who's time has passed. I can't for the life of me figure out why Blacks use that term. ESPECIALLY those in the entertainment business.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
It's not imo. It's a useless word who's time has passed. I can't for the life of me figure out why Blacks use that term. ESPECIALLY those in the entertainment business.

I believe it is the same thing as homosexual people who took bag the word "faggot". I'm not sure if the word will be removed by the ATS censor but i'm sure you know what i mean. The word 'n-word' has been taken back by black people, at least that's how some of them see it.

To me a word is a word and should never be off the table. All words should be available to all people, it is the intent which makes them bad.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
To me a word is a word and should never be off the table. All words should be available to all people, it is the intent which makes them bad.

Yes, I'm a fan of Carlin too and remember this routine well. One of the few times I disagreed with what he said.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Yes, I'm a fan of Carlin too and remember this routine well. One of the few times I disagreed with what he said.

I wasn't actually quoting Carlin and i don't believe i've seen that show or at least i don't remember it. Seems unfair to disregard my opinion just because someone else has said something similar.

Why exactly do you disagree with it? I only ask because then i can actually respond with some kind of substance, thanks.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   

I wasn't actually quoting Carlin and i don't believe i've seen that show or at least i don't remember it. Seems unfair to disregard my opinion just because someone else has said something similar.

The late George Carlin and I wasn't disregarding your post.

Why exactly do you disagree with it? I only ask because then i can actually respond with some kind of substance, thanks.

There are some words, this is one of them, where the intent comes with the package. It's a racial epithet.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

There are some words, this is one of them, where the intent comes with the package. It's a racial epithet.

Hang on a moment. One of my very best friends is black, he and i often use such words, to us we are laughing at the racists themselves. This has caused trouble, i have had guys march across a pub intent on beating the hell out of me because i've used the n word and my friend has had to calm them down.

If the word comes with intent then why would i use it against my friend? In turn why would he use the word "cracker" at me and he himself has called me "n-word".

The word does not have intent, it's a ridiculous idea and the moment you say it cannot be used you give it power.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Hang on a moment. One of my very best friends is black, he and i often use such words, to us we are laughing at the racists themselves. This has caused trouble, i have had guys march across a pub intent on beating the hell out of me because i've used the n word and my friend has had to calm them down.

See, packaged in. Or you wouldn't have gotten that reaction.

The word does not have intent, it's a ridiculous idea and the moment you say it cannot be used you give it power.

How do you give a word power by NOT using it?

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join