It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palin defends Dr. Laura over N-word rant: ‘Be thankful for her voice, America’

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by beansanmash
reply to post by DondeEsta?

its the same reason that a fat person might jokingly call themselves fat in front of others. by assigning a different emotional connotation to the word and taking ownership of it, it becomes less hurtful.

also, i have heard that most black people even don't like saying the 'N-word' in most situations, and they actually use the derivation 'nigga' to refer to each other because because it doesn't carry the same emotional connotation

thank you for mentioning 2 strong facts!!
it's true, most(the ones i know) of us DO NOT like using either word, and their is a difference between the 2. i could explain it, but that might drill too far into a catch phrase for AAmerican language coined in the 90's:EBONICS....
lol!

[edit on 20-8-2010 by ahmonrarh]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost of Chewie

Originally posted by jekylisland
the reason young black people say the n-word so much is because it is the equivalent of "dude" or "man" for them. If you notice when it is said in a conversation you'll notice you could replace it with either man or dude and you would think a couple of white people are having a conversation.

Ok, I can see that. after all the etymology of the word is Latin for BLACK.
So them calling each other "BLACK" is akin to me and my friends calling each other "Redneck"?
depends, are you from the appalachian mountains? a blue collar southern man that works in the elements, therefore has his neck constantly exposed to the sun thereby making it red? if you answer yes to any of those, then yes, you guys can consider yourself rednecks and be proud of it. i know plenty of good people that are proud of their blue collar, southern or appalachian roots, and are not(openly at least) bigots or racist.

h-e-hockeysticks, i work with them on a daily basis! we crack ourselves up with stories of them going MUDDIN or huntin and back flipping on mattresses or jumping rooftops in our youth, and the thing we mostly realized, is that aside from color and upbringing, we are all the same. just from a different side of the tracks.

everyone in the world has the same concerns.....family, friends and individual well being. we all want to take care of those above issues with the least resistance.

a litttle redneck history

history on the N word

[edit on 20-8-2010 by ahmonrarh]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Matthew Dark

What do PC and liberals have to do with this?

We're talking about a white woman calling a black woman a n*****.

Stay on topic.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

Make no mistake, Palin is genuinely dumb, you can see it hers eyes just like you can see dumbness or intelligence in the eyes of dogs.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

she didn't call her that, she just said the word.

a few times, lol.

the caller freaked about it.

i believe laura knew where the conversation/question was gonna go, so

she just went to her answer.

a little short maybe and she never was great at coddling her callers.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL! this thread is funny, Let me tell you why... I read through the first and 2nd pages and no one mentioned anything about the N-word as the way black people uses it, matter fact, ANY BODY IN THE GHETTO or Low income neighborhoods (aka the HOOD) uses it, well not whites :-x... so I couldnt read the rest of the thread cause I wanted to point this out....

Everyone is an idiot(no pun intended) if you think black people are using the word N*GG*R as the way Whites or any racist prick may use it against Blacks. What the people fail to see that BLACKS, and No i am not Black, I'm hispanic, say N.I.G.G.A and not with the ER at the end which is the WAY NOT TO SAY IT, Even for Hispanics in those areas, Just think of the word NIGGA as a way us Blacks and Hispanics (aka SPIC)have turned it from a negative format to a positive format.. like 2Pac put it down the Best on the Word NIGGA(Never Ignorant Getting Goals Accomplished) and us, SPICS (Spanish People In Control).

One has to understand, its within our environments, our cultural influences and all the years of being put down in one way and another. We dont mean those words as a way to insult one another, but a way to salute each other in the hood. These two ladies have NO IDEA what they are talking about because THEY DO NOT UNDERSTAND, They come from different backgrounds, different Environments, different cultural influences then Us, Blacks ANd Hispanics in our communities, in our music (not talking about all this new school BS, but listen to 80's/90's Hiphop to come to an understanding,Even Underground rap artist who doing true RAP/HIPHOP music.music sucks now, too much BS and nothing positive like before), and in our way of living.

I would keep on but I think I made my point... but it is what it is. Some people will never understand why another group of people do things for and for what reason. We all dont live the same, and not saying us Blacks and Hispanic or any non-white arent in higher levels and positions as well, but we totally come from different backgrounds (talking about every race)...

Welcome to HOOD 101
For all you talking like you know what the hell you talking about when it comes to that N-WORD and when blacks say it to each other, even with hispanics and blacks or hispanic to hispanic.

SEE LINK BELOW FOR YOUR HOOD 101 INTRODUCTION

Here's if you dont know what I mean by those words
www.urbandictionary.com...
www.rapdict.org...

Hard to find a good real meaning of SPIC

By the way as you may know I'm From New York and live in New York and thats how things are over here and our neighbor states, even Chinese,Indian, and so on, of course as some say " Ghetto People " say NIGGA to Blacks, to hispanics and back and forth.

[edit on 20-8-2010 by MilzGatez]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Incubus2

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

Originally posted by Incubus2
Why do whites put up with this nonsense about race? We're the ones being discriminated against. BET, the NAACP, and black scholarships say it all really. You will not find any white versions of these.

[edit on 19-8-2010 by Incubus2]

Yes...whites are so discriminated against.

Sorry bud...but this whole comment is just ignorant.

Ignorance is telling me that blacks don't discriminate; that they aren't racist, more so than whites. Why is it when I was at university, I had to apply for my scholarships every year? Meanwhile, the black kids with lower GPA's and SAT scores got a free ride right out of high school JUST BECAUSE THE COLOR OF THEIR SKIN. Where's my white scholarship? THERE'S NO SUCH THING. Blacks would pull the race card if there were. Now go on and continue to be ignorant and blind. Watch your BLACK ENTERTAINMENT TELEVISION and Tyler Perry movies. Go to primarly black college on your black scholarship. I've already cited examples of black racism. I just provided another one. Facts are facts. I've proven my point. All you've done is make a personal attack. Love the ad hominems. Keep them coming. Don't actually try to debate me because you are incapable. You have nothing to support your claims. I have all the evidence one could ever need to support mine.

[edit on 19-8-2010 by Incubus2]

It's important to call this kind of ignorance out. I'm not doing so for Incubus, but perhaps for someone else reading whose mind isn't made up.

Affirmative Action is a long term social engineering project in which the statistical needs of the many outweigh the particular needs of the one. In 100 years no one will remember (or care) that way back when Incubus had a slightly harder time than other less fortunate black students. What they will care about is that damage caused by hundreds of years of slavery and racism had been undone by a brave society that had the courage to take the issue on by tipping the cultural balance back slightly more in the direction of those once downtrodden. It's called "taking one for the team," the team being humanity, not your race.

Students starting at a disadvantage need a boost. It's about equality, not racism.

And white TV channels and movies do exist. They're called TV channels and movies. When 80-90% of media is created for a caucasian audience, it seems odd to me to get hung up on the 10% that isn't. Maybe your complaint is that there's not something specifically called "White Entertainment Television" or that there's not more media overtly targeted to a white audience. There's a reason for that. It's because the only people who care that they're white are dicks. It's true.

I'm not even sure what a white movie would look like. I guess it would be a movie made by whites, starring mostly whites, about affluent white people. Oh wait, that's 80-90% of all US movies ever made.

Besides, most American whites have mixed bloodlines from like 47 Eurasian countries, and most traces of those original cultures have melted into the pot by now.

Which is fine with me.

[edit on 20-8-2010 by Pseudonaut]

[edit on 20-8-2010 by Pseudonaut]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   
On one hand I do empathize with Dr. Laura, she does have a point, living here I do notice that the N Word gets used an awful lot. I tend to take public transportation, and when some kids get on I hear the N Word nearly every other word. If it gets too bad I turn around and tell the person using it that it's starting to offend me.

But what Dr. Laura said wasn't racist till this point:

Schlessinger: All right. Thank you very much. Thank you very much. Can't have this argument. You know what? If you're that hypersensitive about color and don't have a sense of humor, don't marry out of your race. If you're going to marry out of your race, people are going to say, "OK, what do blacks think? What do whites think? What do Jews think? What do Catholics think?" Of course there isn't a one-think per se. But in general there's "think."

ricksanchez.blogs.cnn.com...

That to me was worse than her dropping the N bomb. Who is she to tell anyone to not marry who they want?

Then get Palin involved and now this becomes fuel for satire.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   
if you call someone racist. you are the racist.
you hold onto the system definition of racist. and you define it.
you know cause you applied it to yourself and tested it
before trying to "project" it outwards as an assumption of the someones intention before you..

for an example.
morals aside. if it was a grown man saying this rather a child. you would look @ it in different light. say oh the child is ignorant or innocent.

the power is in observation

if i say for example.
someone asks me, "where is the water cooler" in a room full of ppl and there happens to be an "African American" or "Dark Skinned Man" standing by the water cooler. and i say "over by that black dude"

if i am "innocent an ignorant" it is nothing more than an observation. there is nothing more. i mean you can sit there and argue all day about t.

but really if someone says "thats racist" they know what there talking about because why? they know it so well. they define it. they are it. its them.
so YOU ARE the racist.

get it?

[edit on 20/8/2010 by Ashyr]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Now about Ms. Palin.

She has climbed the stairs to the gallow
and is now standing on the platform.
Dr. Laura has fed her a little more rope,
which she can't resist reaching for.

Hang on folks, it won't be long now.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Ashyr

You failed at logic there.

Apparently, some people seem to think that racism in this country just magically disappeared once civil rights were granted to minorities.

Do people have selective amnesia or something?

[edit on 20-8-2010 by The Sword]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I listened to this and i can't understand why anyone is angry. She did not rant in a derogatory way towards black people, she was demonstrating how it's simply unfair that one group of people can use a word and another group is not allowed.

She did nothing wrong and she shouldn't have apologised.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by MilzGatez

You NAILED it man. I'm white/Indian (feather, not dot) but I grew up with a very mixed group of friends. I could call my black friends nigga all day long, and no worries. You call them 'n-word', and they would rightfully get pissed.

And to the folks who go on about black folks calling each other 'n-word'...look at them when they do..THEY'RE pissed. Nigger is fighting words even amongst the blacks. Nigga is synonymous with "dude" "bro" or "buddy".

Might not seem like a big distinction, but that doesn't matter. It's their culture and it's what's acceptable to them. We should respect that, just as we respect Indian pow wow's, white folks line dancing and that god awful Irish Riverdance.

I mean christ...hasn't anyone on here ever caught a Spike Lee joint?

BTW, I think it's crap that ATS auto edits "'n-word'" and puts "n-word" in its place. We're discussing a topic, not being racist. Way to bow down to PC bull ATS

[edit on 20-8-2010 by midnightbrigade]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Of course since its the "n" word everybody is up in arms. She wasn't directly calling someboby the "n" word, she was simply saying how black people use it all the time, but of course that is okay. This shows the ignorance of a lot of American-Africans. Typical! Its okay for them, but not okay for anybody else. You know what, if the word is soooo bad, then don't use it at all. More racial BS.....

Was it Sarah's business, no, but it is her right to say whatever the hell she wants.

GO DR. LAURA...... the only people up in arms are librals because they always need something to bitch about. If these morons would shut up and acutally use their brains and think about what Laura was saying, she has a point okay.

I am sick of blacks consistantly using the race card. Its is old okay, get the hell over it! As soon as they get a taste of their own medicine they bitch about it. If the word is sooo aweful when anybody except for a black says it, then don't use it at all. This, as I said before, shows how ignorant the some of the blacks are in this country and this is why they can't get passed something that happened years ago. They use it as an excuse to be losers and blame everything on the white man.

Listen, my family wasn't even here during slavery so its not my fault your great-great-great-great-great grandparents were slaves, get the hell over it.

Its not my fault you live in the ghetto and are doing nothing to further yourself or your childrens life.

This BS is old okay and if a white person wants to use the "n" word, then that is their right. If S Palin wants to stick up for somebody or say something, that is her right....you don't like it, then go back to the country of where your people came from. See how it is there and then keep on complaining.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaosinEngaged

As a white person working in an urban, minority based environment, I can 100% testity that I have received racist remarks almost on a daily basis, but never given one out.

Where's my support group? Where's my sympathy?

If the situation were reversed, it would be headline news.

THAT my friends, is why America is fatally flawed.

You display true ignorance by not recognizing that racism does and can work both ways. In fact, I dare say most politicians are blissfuly unaware that racism is not relegated to being perpetrated by a white individual towards a minority.

But that's totally fine, it's only bad if the one being racist is white. That's the real eye-roll.

How can we evolve as a country if we can't elimintate simple and totally immoral double standards?

[edit on 19-8-2010 by SaosinEngaged]

Having been all over the country, I can sympathize with you and confirm your post to be an accurate reflection of MANY, MANY parts of the state you are from. It is simply OUT OF CONTROL up there!!!

Having been all over the country I can tell you that down in the southern states of the country, the tables are turned COMPLETELY the other way around.

It is CRAZY to spend a few years in the North East and then a few years in the South.

Now, If you are NOT a Christian down in the South, WHOA, the treatment IS WAY WORST than being non-Caucasian!!!!!!!!!

[edit on 20-8-2010 by Baloney]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
I believe that you have to listen to the context of the entire conversation. If you forget the fact that she threw the "N" bomb around, she actually makes some very good points.

No, she didn't. The N-word rant wasn't nearly as offensive as the rest of her comments.

In context, she told the woman that

* she was "hypersensitive" if she didn't like the N-word being used toward her
* she shouldn't have married outside her race if she didn't want to deal with things like this.

And, she made the age-old complaint that racists make: "THEY use the word, so why can't I?" Perhaps the reason is that African-Americans TOOK that word and made it theirs. White people used it when they were lynching blacks and depriving them of their civil rights. THAT is why white people don't get to use it.

Her whole argument was that "those people" get to use the word, but I can't?

Perhaps if she were actually a licensed therapist - or even had a doctorate in something other than physiology - she'd understand why she doesn't get that alleged "benefit."

SCHLESSINGER: I don't get it. If anybody without enough melanin says it, it's a horrible thing; but when black people say it, it's affectionate. It's very confusing.

"I don't get it...it's very confusing."

No, it isn't.

Think of it like this: if you have dirty talk with your wife in...uh...'certain situations,' that's fine. But if someone else called her those things in public, you'd beat the crap out of him.

And she complains about her First Amendment rights bring abridged. Uh, no, the gov't didn't censor you. Freedom of Speech does not mean you are completely free of consequences.

If any ATSers support this woman, then go to work and curse out your boss today. Then, when you're fired, you can pretend to be a victim.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   

As a white person working in an urban, minority based environment, I can 100% testity that I have received racist remarks almost on a daily basis, but never given one out.

Where's my support group? Where's my sympathy?

I'm 36, white, and grew up in the "ghetto" and never received a racist remark. Not one. Ever.

So, my anecdotal evidence cancels yours out.

And apparently it doesn't bother you, so why the complaining? If it does bother you, then do something about it.

And please give us some examples of the racist remarks you receive. We promise not to laugh if you're being given the George Jefferson treatment.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
Stop it...you are making sense and stuff.

You think logic will work on people who think that since blacks use the N-word that they should be able to use it also???

Ask older Black people what they think of the youth using that term. You'll get a scolding from your parents and grandparents. You know, the ones that actually fought of equality so that the younger generation can piss away what they achieved.

I was in high school - early 1990s - and one day in English class the teacher (African-American) reprimanded some students for using that word. So, I asked him if I could bring a videotape that I had recently recorded about the civil rights movement. And he was glad that I offered.

We all watched protesters getting hit with fire hoses and attacked with dogs, and you could have heard a pin drop. The one video that still bothers me to this day is this elderly black gentleman in a suit (not part of a protest) and hat trying to walk in a dignified manner getting shoved and having his hat knocked off. He didn't resist - he just tried to keep going about his business.

The N-word was yelled REPEATEDLY at the protesters and that nice old man.

THAT is why the word shouldn't be used. ESPECIALLY not by people "lacking in melanin."

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   

reply to post by templar knight

While idiots over here were practicing slavery, my family was living in Hungary and as far as I'm aware, Hungary never had slavery.

The Hungarians never really had slavery, but Hungary, and particularly Anatoly certainly did, when it was ruled by the Turks in the 16th century. See, www.hungarianhistory.com...
And when I was in Buda last year for a conference, it seemed that there were racial problems there involving the Roma, or 'gypsies'. Or maybe I misunderstood the signs proclaiming, "A halál személyek." Did I?

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by Matthew Dark

What do PC and liberals have to do with this?

We're talking about a white woman calling a black woman a n*****.

Stay on topic.

Actually, I was on topic.
The white chick never, not once, called the black chick a n*gger...so, I'm thinking you haven't really listened to the clip.
She was saying about how the word was thrown around by black comedians on HBO and whatnot.
And, just to be clear, pc liberals have put the fear of hurting other people's feelings and the fear of not being sensitive enough into peoples' heads for the last several years.
On both accounts...it's just ridiculous.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join