It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American views on Fox News?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Hi, I want to ask you Americans what your views are on Fox News.

I ask because whenever a major news story breaks I like to flick between the news networks like Fox, CNN, CNBC, ITN and BBC News 24 and I have to say I find Fox laughable. A sort of 'Patriotic News for the Hard of Thinkng'.

One thing that annoyed me greatly during the Gulf war was, while the statue of Saddam was being toppled, the presenters sat behind their desks commentating on a video feed that was being shot from a hotel window and smugly congratulating themselves, then they began to criticise the BBC (for why I have no idea) but when IO flicked over to the Beeb channel their reporter, Ragi Omar, was there, in the square with the people doing the toppling doing a live broadcast right on the spot. I emailed Fox about this but recieved no reply. As I say that was just one instance when Fox angered me, generally they just make me feel sick.

Anyone agree?

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 04:54 AM
link   
I don't watch Fox News, so can't answer your question, but I'd like to make a comment.

I won't allow a Rupert Murdoch publication in my home.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I concur that Fox is the odd one out.

I have learned to stomach more than the five minutes I could endure 4-6 weeks ago, to see precisely how the propaganda machine tries to drum up support for Bush and the war effort by flying in the face of facts and reality. The pro_bush pseudo-experts interviewed are all smarmy and abusive towards opponents, who get probably 15% of the airtime collectively with the rest going on rhetoric and unsubstantiated drivel. But there have been some anti-war people who have held their own very well in the past couple of weeks on the so-called fair and balanced network.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 05:24 AM
link   
I am not American, but I will say this. Any ATS member who watcheds fox is certainly not denying ignorance.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 05:31 AM
link   

I am not American, but I will say this. Any ATS member who watcheds fox is certainly not denying ignorance.

I'm not American either and I certainly think FoxNews is full of amusing bs at best. Though reading through many of the posts in the politics section, it seems to me we have quite a bit of FoxNews followers here on ATS.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 05:32 AM
link   
The opinions found on an internet conspiracy message board probably will not reflect the true opinion of U.S. citizens on anything regarding the media or politics.

As a U.S. citizen, I cannot stand our news media and don't watch any of it voluntarily. Especially Fox News which I do end up being forced to watch at times due to my family being heavily influenced by it (sigh). From what little I see of the channel, Fox News is heavily pro-war and I can't stand to watch it.

[edit on 20-6-2004 by heelstone]

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Durden

Though reading through many of the posts in the politics section, it seems to me we have quite a bit of FoxNews followers here on ATS.

I know, it's incredible aint it? I don't understand how anyone on a this site, or just anyone into conspiracy in general, could actually accept mainstream media perspective on politics and world events. They are so backwards and biased and will drop anything that isn't politicaly safe (for example the Nick Berg case)

D

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I've never actually watched it myself, but a friend of mine told me the presenters treated the whole war in iraq like a football match and giving a nice commentary on it. Does that sound right?

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I'm not an American. I live in the UK but I can get Fox news. I have only watched it a few times I find the standard of reporting terrible. Also, Fox seems to be incredibly over-patriotic, ultra pro-war and pro-Bush. Not to mention they have scum like Bill O'Reilly on their channel. Just look at some of the thing he says. Iraqis are Primitive and Should be Bombed Again!

You should never watch right wing rubbish like Fox News in my opinion.

[edit on 20-6-2004 by Eddie999]

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 07:07 AM
link   
[edit on 20-10-2004 by antipigopolist]

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Cheers guys, some good views there. I was just thinking the last time I had it on "I hope they don't all believe this rubbish" and its clear you don't.
It was when a major story broke on BBC that didn't show America in a particularly good light (putting it mildly) I flicked over to see a report on CNN, you know looking for the other chaps point of view as it were, and after seeing that I put Fox on and waited, and waited etc. Nothing!

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Fox is as far right as ABC and CBS are left. I have no confidence in any of the three. They appear more concerned in creating the news than reporting it. Unfortunately, it seems the BBC may be starting to follow that sorry path. The two cable networks I do watch are CNN and MSNBC. Politically, I tend more to the conservative. That being said, being conservative doesn't mean blindly following Fox.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Fox is as far right as ABC and CBS are left.

Oh, c'mon now. Surely you can't be serious about this.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Spoken like a true liberal. Yes, CBS in particular. That's why I now watch them as much as Fox -000-!

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Fox news has become the butt of many jokes over the past few years and with good reason. Besides the spin that they place on nearly every story, I would not put it past them to just make a story up.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I am a self identified liberal. But I also watch FoxNews 90% of the time. The main reason is I want to hear the other side. I get the "liberal" side most often from ATS and then watch Fox for a balance. Now you don't get any balance if Fox is your only news source but it is good to see how they are spinning the news.

What is interesting is the fact that FoxNews is #1 in the country in all ratings. Their morning show, Number 1, Oreilly, #1.

You can decide to ignore them but I think it is best to keep an eye on what they report and then balance that with your own research. Especially considering the majority of America seems to be watching them (well of those that watch 24 hr cable news). Never under estimate what they can do, they spun the war very well and constantly spin the religous right as the one and only side. Sean Hannity is by far the most dangerous talk show host on TV and he is seen as the darling of that network.

top topics

join