It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran's Lake Orumieh turns red, an Omen?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   

The Lake Orumieh in Iran's West Azarbaijan province has turned red as the result of an environmental phenomenon known as the "red tide."

Soap-like foam substance produced by algae started to redden Orumieh from the East Azarbaijan coast and gradually covered the whole lake.

The "red tide" is actually the result of an algal bloom, an event in which marine or fresh water algae accumulate rapidly in the water.

The effect of excessive algae on fish can be lethal. It produces oxygen radicals which can damage fish gills, possibly leading to suffocation.

Some environmentalists say the phenomenon is caused by nutrient loading from human activities or industrial and city wastewater which include nitrates and phosphates.

Other experts, however, say the algae cannot survive in the salty water of the Lake Urmia and a possible change in the salt compounds might have caused the incident.

A perfectly logical explanation I think you'll agree. But what if this is something more? It would be quite a scary coincidence if an attack on Iran occurred several days after this freak event. But perhaps this is an omen, a stark warning of things to come.

The second article goes on to dispel the belief that this is as a result of 'red tide' suggesting instead that it is as a result of increased evaporation altering the composition of Magnesium compounds.

Whatever the reason it certainly makes for an unusual shore line. These are very strange times we are living in...

Original sources;

www.presstv.ir...

www.presstv.ir...

______beforeitsnews/story/140/436/Irans_Lake_Urmia_turns_red_an_Omen.html

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 19-8-2010 by Big Raging Loner]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
As soon as I looked at the pics iin the links provided I knew this reminded me of something from my childhood in Namibia:

The Salt Company of Swakopmund in Namibia was established in 1936 and operates its salt pans 10 Km north of the town on the unpolluted Benguella current of the Atlantic Ocean.

Since their activities are concentrated in an area of low rainfall at the Atlantic coastline with high evaporation rates, the logical consequence is the production of solar salt by means of evaporation pans. The seawater evaporates in successive ponds until the brine is fully concentrated and salt crystallizes on the floor of the crystallizing ponds.

The concentrating ponds will show distinct colouration, a pink or red, depending on the salt concentration and what species of plant and shrimp find it habitable.

Awesome photograph link here: Link

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

Thanks for that. It is beautiful in an eerie sort of way.

I find it interesting though, that any unusual natural event is jumped on by environmentalists who believe in man made climate change, and used to support the theory!

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
You should see the flamingoes that feed/wade through these pans ... they become a beautiful pink colour.

new topics

top topics

join