It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iris Scanners Create the Most Secure City in the World. Welcome, Big Brother

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Iris Scanners Create the Most Secure City in the World. Welcome, Big Brother

www.fastcompany. com

We've all seen and obsessively referenced Minority Report, Steven Spielberg's adaptation of Philip K. Dick's dystopian future, where the public is tracked everywhere they go, from shopping malls to work to mass transit to the privacy of their own homes. The technology is here. I've seen it myself. It's seen me, too, and scanned my irises.

Biometrics R&D firm Global Rainmakers Inc. (GRI) announced today that it is rolling out its iris scanning technology to create what it calls "the most secure
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Sorry new member here and I am probably doing this all wrong. I just could not believe that this was not being discussed here. I have read these boards for a long time and all day I have just figured that someone else would post this. I guess what better time to join!

Basically this claims that by 2020 there will be billions of iris scanners all over the world. These scanners will be cheap to produce (as little as 50 dollars) and the process has already started with the first trial city being Leon Mexico.

www.fastcompany. com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Wow i also cant believe this isnt a huge topic already on ATS. I have been away from ATS for a few months but decided to come back after reading this very same story.

I have to admit this really does scare me quite a bit. This is really happening. Not sometime far off in the future possibly but really happening. They are implementing this in a country like mexico to start and it will surely be successful there and eventually make its way to the US and all over the world according to the article. What truly disturbed me was the comment by the author of the article that basically states that for those citizens who choose to opt out, they would be making themselves look guilty of something and more on the radar for those who are watching people so you would just be better to opt in so to go along with the mainstream and look like a good citizen. Wow is all i can say.

This is definetly one of those society changing moments. This will have a large inpact on our daily lives. Yes it has great benefits and i am not one to argue the benefits vs the drawbacks because i work in the medical profession and i see great benefits within the medical community. With the possibility of one day creating a singular system that will hold all your information including your entire medical record and being accessed by iris scanning with end things like patient mix up etc. Yes it can definetly eradicate quite a few problems facing society today however its going to create some very big ones. The worst of which i see is the privacy one. However i am taking a very uncomfortable sigh right now because i realize that this is no longer a matter of if but when. Our society truly is becoming a version of the book 1984 with big brother watching us and guess what folks, it isnt the government that is big brother right now. Its world corporations. They are the driving force behind all that happens in this world. Money is the driving force behind all that happens in this world. The need for more money and the need to secure the money we have and the money THEY want. But again i accept now that this is the future.

I just read a upsetting article about BArnes and Noble about to be sold. I am not sure if they will close their stores but i forsee it. With the Kindle and now the Ipad it looks like the future of physical books have been set for extinction. In the article i read the author stated that the days of physical books it long past and outdated. Well that may be but i for one love holding a book in my hands and reading them. I love the smell of them the look of the bindings and artwork on the front as much as i love the stories themselves. Its a sad day to me to see the end coming very near for something that has been around for hundreds of years. The end of paper print. You cannot stop technology and the advancement of society. Yes i am afraid of the changes but i am also 41 and i have more years behind me than in front of me more than likely. I am not old old yet but i am getting there and i see the world changing and the older i get the less i like it. When i was in my 20's i loved everything new and modern and cutting edge. So maybe thats why i see conspiracies sometimes in things like this. Maybe its just the case of a guy approaching middle age and afraid fo change or maybe i am afraid of how we are becoming more and more dependednt on the things we create to govern out lives and the inability to full proof them from the criminals in the world. They claim that this system will be full proof and even using a dead eyeball wont fool the scanners. That may be so but i can guarantee you that as long as their is technology created by one person another person will find a way around it or to fool it to use for criminal behaviour. The problem is that in the middle is the normal everyday citizen who is caught up in it all and becomes more and more at risk when our privacy and security is at stake. I guess i am most afraid of not having much if any control anymore over who knows what about me and who has access to my information.

In the city i live in ( houston texas) there is a big debate raging right now about the city being able to place a few hundred more stop light cameras around the city. There is a few groups up in arms about this claiming its a invasion of our privacy and its big brother trying to keep eyes on us everywhere we go. The problem is that this will eventually go through because no matter how many people step and say NO there is going to be many more who YELL YES! People are more willing to give up privacy for safety and security. Even the guy on the radio today pointed out that if they help stop one murder or mugging or whatever then its worth him loosing some privacy. No it isnt but yet this is how people feel. Oh and it wont stop anything. It may help deter some crime but cameras havent stopped crime. They still happen. It just makes it possible to have video for the news to play to help track down the crooks but even then it doesnt help nab them. This iris system will though. If you are in the system and commit a crime then you will basically have to go underground to not be found. If you try to buy so much as a bar of soap from the grocery store you will be flagged and tagged then bagged by local law enforcement in minutes. This really reminds me of the movie demolition man.

Yep this will start out as a commercial enterprice with law enforcement and will end up in the hands of big brother and the government. So everybody bend over and kiss your sweet you know what goodbye because your days of freedom are gone. Your freedom will come but with their exceptions. Welcome to your future.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Big Brother really is here. They already have copies of your fingerprints, all your biological, financial, and any and all relative information is already in the system. Now they are scanning your eyes and you will NEVER be able to escape it. This coupled with the already looming threat of RFID chips and scanners placed in EVERYTHING and EVERYWHERE (including YOU!!). They will be able to keep track of your location, vital signs, and any changes to you or your surroundings instantaneously.

...Thank you, modern technology. What a wonderful, liberated world you have created for us.

NEXUS

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Ill make some hacked contact lenses that mess with the scanners, or maybe someone else will. Sounds neat, but scary at the same time and it would also not constitute our privacy as human we aint cattle yet, but this is just one of the tiny steps in human to sheep evolution.

I am sure spray paint will suffice for now damn pesky retina scanners.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
A few years ago there was an eye scanner in the local courthouse. Maybe it was just a trial run back then, idk. But I went to pay a ticket. I refused enter because the sign at door announced the eye scan.

The eye scanners are really nothing new. Several years ago the gov. of one state sent copies of the peoples drivers license to a company on the east coast so they could use the photos for their facial recognition equipment. This was without permission of the people and was also not disclosed to anyone. The info came out a couple of years after the fact.

There are other cities that have had eye scanners in place and also facial recognition in populated areas.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Just great...wonder who will be the first unlucky person to have have thier eye/eyes stolen for some criminal use.

Something similar happened a while back in Germany I think,where someone hand their finger cut off so as to steal thier fingerprint recognition car..

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Way to go!

As if this story wasn't gross enough you just took it to a whole new level!

But I am afraid you are right. That could happen.

My first reaction to this story was that I wanted to puke. Such complete subjugation to the system makes me sick -- I'm a guy who values freedom and independence perhaps more than most.

My second thought was I wanted one of those "cheap" scanners installed in my yard so I could nab whoever it is that keeps stealing my bike.

Oh how fickle we can be.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by fizzy1

I have to concur with you that, somewhat surprisingly, the force behind this technology is commerce; not politics.

The point of wanting to know our every move and motivation is to finesse the process of seducing us into parting with our hard earned money. Its all about tailoring the sales pitch to our lifestyle and interest to such a fine degree that we can't resist.

Well, I can and will resist. That much I can assure you. They can trace me all they want and they will probably just end up confused. My file will be dumped into the bin of "useless, hopeless, non-rational spender".

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I recently went to an amusement park. They were scanning peoples hands at the entrance to the park. I and my husband were not willing to give into this biometric scan. I said we won't go in if they demand this. We told the lady at the gate we did not want to be subjected to this scan. She pointed to closed line and we entered un-scaned. What really amazed me was the thousands of people subjecting them selves to this intrusion with no complaints. I was so amazed by this I stood inside the gate and watched as they all submitted to a hand scan. Amazing.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by VAPatriot

You've got to wonder what the point of the scan in the amusement park was? If it's not tied to your name, what good was it to anybody??

I remember a club in NY way back in the late '70's that had a finger or thumb scanner I think that was used to prove your membership upon admission. It may have been only a gimmick, but back then I thought it was so cool.

They say ignorance is bliss.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by wayno

According to the amusement park, "it is to secure your identity to your season pass."

Except, they scan everyone. Get a one day pass, you get scanned.

Really, I am not to concerned that someone could steal my identity to an amusement park.

To them it insures that they won't loose money on people sharing a season pass.

Sorry but their bottom line is far less important to me then my privacy.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I happened to be on yahoo.com when this story was posted on yahoo news
yesterday.
I clicked on the story and read it , when I returned to yahoo.com it was gone.
I also had one heck of a time finding it again.
Makes me think this story is being buried by someone.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by VAPatriot

Its truly amazing to me also how people are so willing to just go along with the masses and have little to no concern about the processes they are being subjected to. People are very trusting when it comes to their privacy these days. Again i say its out of sight out of mind. If it doesnt look or feel dangerous it must not be.

Its not the creepy stranger you have to be afraid of its the guy who looks innocent and makes you laugh and earns your trust so easily. Thats the way it is and will be with any NWO trying to implement something like iris scanners or RFID chips to the masses. They will sell it using very trusting and honest looking people and visual aides to make us feel warm and fuzzy and safer if we just follow along with the masses.

Again what disturbed me the most is the mentality of the author of this article who claimed it is better to just go along with opting in for this system because if you opt out you will raise flags to those who run the system. SO who gets to control this system and who controls them? Will this be something that gets voted on and will we get the chance to say hell no or will it be imposed on us via commercial applications to make our lives easier. I think the later and then eventually it will come under control of the government in some way.

I used to try and make sense to those 666'ers who go on endlessly about the devil and the mark of the beast and the one thing i used to argue to them is that regardless of what you think and how you think it will happen, the bottom line is, that if you truly believe in bible or any prohecy regarding this then you have to resign yourself to the fact its going to happen and you cannto stop it. People are going to buy into it even in the face of all the so called proof right in front of you in your bible.

Even christians will believe because as i have stated before, it will come in the form of something that is here to make our lives better and we will embrace its commercial applications for shopping and communication and health records etc etc and once we are fully entrenched in this system where people can shoose to use it or not, then the government will step in take control and force everyone to use it. They will do away with any other form of payment via credit cards or cash or whatever else in favor of their system so everyone will have no choice but to use it or starve. As the bible says that no man should buy or sell with out the mark. World commerce will be conducted in whatever form this system takes place.

However i really think the system will start ahead of any NWO or one world government coming to power. We will become slaves to the system and willingly sign up for it cause its just too cool to pass over.

Look at how fast people just have to drop coin down to get the latest iphone or smart phone. Even if your old phone is still a great phone you just gotta have the newest of the new. Its the same with computers and now even how we read books. We are a society a world society controlled by the tech in our lives and the NWO knows this.

The sheep come willingly to the kind shepherd who leads them to greener pastures. To bad the shepherd is really a evil hungry wolf waiting to devour us at the slaughter.

[edit on 19-8-2010 by fizzy1]

top topics

join