It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court strikes down mall talk rules

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Court strikes down mall talk rules

www.upi.com

ROSEVILLE, Calif., Aug. 17 (UPI) -- A California appeals court struck down a mall's rules banning strangers from talking about subjects other than the mall while inside the facility.

A three-judge 3rd District Court of Appeals panel issued a 43-page opinion Wednesday describing the rules, which ban the unacquainted for discussing anything other than Roseville's Westfield Galleria mall and its stores while in the mall, as "unconstitutional on their face" due to violations of free speech as outlined in the California Constitution, the Sacramento Bee reported Tuesday.

The mall's rules,
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Very few things leave me speechless... but this is definitely one of those things. Honestly I have no comment on this, other than doing something like this makes little to no since. Does anyone know why they would do something like this? Why does it matter what someone says inside a mall, of all places?

www.upi.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

I read about this awhile back.

A priest or preacher or somebody was not bothering anyone, the people he was talking to did not complain, but the mall did NOT like the topic of discussion that they were talking about.

Now, let me ask people out there, if he was talking about-
Fishing
Hunting
Damn Republicans
Damn Democrats
Atheism
Religion
College Football

Which one do you think he was arrested for?

I guess some peeps are more equal than others, or was that animals?

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
You are correct about alot being left out of that, I have the information and I will also post a wiki link.

"The case developed several years ago [2006] when a youth pastor was arrested at the Galleria Mall in Roseville, California, for having a conversation about religion with two other people. Matthew Snatchko, who works with youth at his church, was interrupted in the middle of a conversation by a security guard. A second guard joined the confrontation and told Snatchko he was being placed under citizen's arrest for "trespassing." The pastor said he agreed to leave but instead, the guards grabbed him, roughly shoved him against a storefront window and handcuffed him tightly enough to draw blood. Snatchko later was taken to the police station where he was booked on charges of battery and trespassing. A short time later the charges were dropped, but officials with the Pacific Justice Institute decided to pursue a case against the mall over the impact of the policy on free speech. After a Placer County Superior Court judge in 2008 affirmed the mall's regulations, an appeal was launched to the 3rd Appellate District in Sacramento, and the briefs have just now been completed for that court's review. The case is being pursued under the state's constitutional provision for free speech, which extends protections to private locations, because the 1st Amendment to the Constitution deals directly with government restrictions. Pacific Justice said Snatchko originally was confronted during a casual conversation with two other shoppers about faith when a store employee listened to the conversation and alerted mall security guards. Besides the ban on conversations with strangers about religion or politics, the mall also bans any clothing with religious or political messages. " The charges against Matthew Snatchko have been dropped (1/30/2010)".

en.wikipedia.org...

The funny thing about this is that the guards made this situation alot worse than it should have been. Its the old situation where the security guards/off duty cops wanted to show said person who was boss.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Is this private property ?

Wouldn`t one have a little more control over what people do whilst on your property ?

=================================================

Hi , my name is Dave and i would like to take a moment of your time to talk about the joys of masturbation !

Cue security guards .....

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
This reminds me of the retarded TV show about mall cops...
Disgusting.

[edit on 18-8-2010 by jeh2324]

top topics

join