It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS thinktank- working on solutions instead of theories

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
A stroke of brilliance!! ATS then owns the rights to the solution
How about we solve problems before they become them because we are geniuses. No really, I think it is a fine idea and would love to riff with other abstract thinkers. Here is my favorite solution I have come up with lately:

Actually it was last year I came up with it, after our current administration suggested we paint our roof white to cut down on energy cost. I thought of a more elegant solution:

Using GPS enable smartphones with a thermostat application, combined with a wi-fi thermostat at home to optimize the cooling/heating cycles at your home based on your location. You could theoretically setup a zone surrounding your home, in which your home would detect you arriving/leaving and adjust accordingly to a comfort or efficiency setting. Whatcha think?

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by locster

A forum where only mods can post topics...

Elitist exclusionism.

I remember when there weren't any 'mods'. And I liked that.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Chakotay

Having only 'mods' being able to start topics is a bit of a oversight, but it is a step in the right direction. The problem with having it open for just anyone to start a thread is obvious: A majority of the users tend to start nonsensical threads, and a think-tank section would soon be overwhelmed with ignorant topics. A way around this may be to have a new tier opened up, where users can be voted in by our peers to have the necessary power to start threads. In this way, the ability to start threads would not be restricted to 'mods' alone, but would also lie in the hands of those deemed capable of intelligent thought process. In this way, there would not be an explosion of nonsense threads, though I am sure they would squirm their way in there every now and then. Just a thought.....

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   
sounds like a nice idea!

I really would like to help to contribute to solutions...

Here is my project:
ITM i am writing a book about "Life and energy solutions", tho

There will be two versions. One for helpers, with alot of info in it and one for not so well educated folks, with easy understandable descriptions (and alot of pics...)
I hope it will go viral when ready and that much people carry it to the people that need it (developing countries, poor folks, etc.).
They could make a little change for some people. Imagine 1000 peops carry the book to anywhere they travel to and give it to the locals. It could have a nice impact on solving such problems.

this is my way to make the world a littlebit better...

Peace, love and light,
let u guide by higher i

Jim

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Any staff input on this idea?

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I support this idea!

I would definitely participate if it became a reality.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Chakotay

As i posted on page 1:

Originally posted by locster

Well it's just a example. I thought that if anyone could post a topic, we would have a big list in no time and some topics would get burried quickly. That defeats the whole idea. It needs to be streamlined and focused, one problem / topic at a time.

I am open to suggestions though, the hardest part of making this work is how to decide wich topics are chosen.

Mods don't pick the topics, the members do, the mods only post the topics.
The reason for this is to keep it streamlined and functioning. If you have a better idea on how to do this i would gladly hear it.

This whole "mod elitist crap" is getting tiring. Without mods this site would crash and burn in a week. I would love for this site to function without mods, because that would mean every member could behave and be civil.
Untill that happens, there will be mods.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by serbsta
Any staff input on this idea?

No, we couldn't have something like this.

The golden, and infallible T's & C's forbid this sort of forum under the rules of 'recruitment'.

Making solutions, would inevitably bring sectarian thinking - and forum gangs etc would result.

Whilst I think it's a great idea, and we SHOULD do it, the forum staff wont do it - it would rock the boat, and we can't have that.

Parallex.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
A new board section should be made, with stickied threads on all the issues affecting mankind, and within those threads only positive solutions can be discussed, and ways of making a difference.

Perhaps a thread could be started to accumulate the issues, then they can be divided up.

Economy
Environmental Destruction
Human Rights
etc
etc
etc

This is a good idea, and should be implemented.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Parallex

I don't see how it would bring about forum gangs, member representatives could be nominated and elected by the members on a monthly basis to participate in a thinktank operation, discussing one (or more) of the months main issues and working to find solutions for them. It SHOULD work on a rotating basis, with member input on every level, I don't see how it would go against the T&C.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
ATS already IS a think tank.

You're right. The whole place is little groups of people from all over the world discussing a hundred subjects all at once. It's like a Greek agora where the whole world can join in if they have a computer or access to one.

Sometimes an important subject comes up and all the little groups break up and join into the discussion and the pages number into the hundreds. It can get frantic just trying to keep up.

On the mods... they're too busy breaking up fights in all those little side discussions over the guy that says he's the second coming of Jesus or the one that says he's from Alpha Centauri to tell humans to stop killing dolphins because they're relatives who emigrated to Earth 50 million years ago.

Besides, the mods are no smarter than most members when you get right down to it.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by locster

Locster.....

I like the idea in concept!

However, implementation could be a big problem.

I spend most of my time in the following forums:

- The Aliens & UFOs Forum

- The Medical Forum

Let's take the example of the Medical Forum, rather than the Aliens & UFOs Forum.....

I start a "Think Tank" about the how the application & availability of a new medical technology might be broadened to help more patients.

Based on precedent, about 20 totally uneducated paranoid people will instantly jump in & scream "Big pharma will kill us all!", thereby destroying a coherent, sequential discussion.

How will that sort of thing be controlled?

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

We will have bug zapper icons in which all non contributors shall be annhilated from the thread. The OP gets to decide who get's zapped since she/he started the thread.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by DondeEsta?

We will have bug zapper icons in which all non contributors shall be annhilated from the thread. The OP gets to decide who get's zapped since she/he started the thread.

DondeEsta.....

"Bug Zappers"?

Brilliant!

Cheers
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Fantastic idea! First project - brainstorm and define the Think Tank!!

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   

I have thought about that problem. Seeing the purpose of the thinktank forum, every post not contributing to a solution is off-topic.
Continued disruptive posts could lead to a post ban in that particular forum.

I don't think there would be much disruptive posting, the members doing the disruptive posting would not be interested in providing solutions anyway.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Good ideas everybody!
To reiterate some of the things people have brought up.

1. Have a board that is created solely for problem solving (solutions).

2. Only allow a handful of the most important (immediately relevant) issues to be discussed at a giving time. Once adequate solutions are found that post can be retired and a new one can be created.

3. Any posts not directly contributing to finding solutions for the OP shall be "zapped" or removed.

4. Create a voting (poll) procedure to ensure the solution is commonly shared by a majority.

and then an idea from me,

5. Have a group who can work on placing these solutions in the hands of MSM outlets to gain exposure and ensure these ideas are heard.

Not only would this be a great contribution to society, but this also may allow ATS to gain a level of credibility amongst the MSM, insofar as other groups.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I do still think that the best way to keep this streamlined would be to have members choose the topics, but only one or two mods can post new threads.

Again, this has nothing to do with elitist power hungry mods, it's my idea and i am not a mod. The only reason for this is to actually keep the thinktank forum clean and working.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by locster

I am fully behind any idea which pushes ATS from mere speculation , into the realms of solutions and proper forward moving, as well as forward thinking debate.
Often the boards (because there is no actual aim to the discussions had on them) become mired with idiot fights and nothing is ever SETTLED properly , but were there to be an ATS section devoted to solving the problems of the world, it would A) be progressive, and may actualy save the freakin world but more importantly (lol) would B) ensure any debate had on that particular subject was ONLY constructive, rather than the sort of BS you get on less well directed boards.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by serbsta
reply to post by Parallex

I don't see how it would bring about forum gangs, member representatives could be nominated and elected by the members on a monthly basis to participate in a thinktank operation, discussing one (or more) of the months main issues and working to find solutions for them. It SHOULD work on a rotating basis, with member input on every level, I don't see how it would go against the T&C.

If the world was an infallible and perfect place, I'd agree with you Serbsta me old mucka.

However, try enacting or enforcing your points above. It simply couldn't happen, especially in an ignorance denying community like this one that appears to be drowning in the ignorance of its' membership base.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love this idea to take place. I just don't see it happening - especially as it would infringe on the ATS business model.

Parallex.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join