It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Pentagon Seeks U.S. Spy Powers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Big Brother is at it again, and the Pentagon is seeking the ability to spy on American citizens. The Pentagon is trying to persuade Congress to allow military intelligence to work undercover in the United States.

Pentagon Seeks U.S. Spy Powers
The bill would allow Pentagon intelligence agents to work undercover and question American citizens and legal residents without having to reveal that they are government agents.

That exemption currently applies only to law enforcement officials working on criminal cases and to the CIA, which is prohibited from operating in the United States.

Pentagon officials say the exemption would not affect civil liberties and is needed so that its agents can obtain information from sources who may be afraid of government agents, such as a green-card-holding professor of nanotechnology who formerly lived under a repressive government.

The military has increased its focus on antiterrorism programs within the United States, most notably by reorganizing its command structure in 2002 by creating the Northern Command in Colorado Springs, Colorado. The command is tasked with preventing and defeating threats and aggression aimed at the United States and helping civil authorities in the event of an emergency.

Such investigations should be conducted by the FBI, and the Department of Defense should not be engaged in widespread intelligence gathering in the United States, say civil liberties advocates, such as the American Civil Liberties Union's legislative counsel Timothy Edgar.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 20-6-2004 by Ocelot]

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Well, then why don't they only apply this to immigrants if that is what they are worried about. I mean if they rout out potential terrorists thats one thing, but the fact is that the Patriot Act allows detention of reasonable terrorists. In addition the reason need not be established in a court of law. So, whats preventing any agent from claiming someone as a terrorist if they are merely a protestor or government dissenter. Just seems like there is more people wanting to spy on people for their beliefs and values. Another way to make someone who actually takes time to read the news more paranoid about the random person they talk to or who they become friends with. Great, lets keep the masses scattered and we'll gang up on them.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Great, just what we need, thought police.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Would'nt this violate the posse comintatus act or clause about military operations inside the US?

Having a liason with the FBI is one thing, Independent operations is a whole nother matter though.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I better start brushing up on my double-speak if I want to travel to the States. With all this extra security for entering the States is getting out of control. Many will argue that it's needed to protect the citizens. It's a fair argument however, rights of foreigners are being violated. I'm not a criminal or have no criminal background but I'm not coming to the States again if I have to submit myself to fingerprinting, retinal scanning, getting my identity searched through a database. I was always under the belief that you did such things to criminals.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I feel that I shouldn't have to submit myself to a criminal background check just to hit Disneyland in Florida. I used to love going to Cali and Florida but not again if this is what is needed to get into your country.

I'll just keep going to Europe where you're not treated like a criminal to enter their countries. And by the way, all these measures won't make your country any safer, it's smoke and mirrors. What it will do if left unchecked, will destroy tourism and Immigration.

Many will say that's good, but let me remind them that they are more than likely decendants of Immigrants.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   

The bill would allow Pentagon intelligence agents to work undercover and question American citizens and legal residents without having to reveal that they are government agents.

That exemption currently applies only to law enforcement officials working on criminal cases and to the CIA, which is prohibited from operating in the United States.

Pentagon officials say the exemption would not affect civil liberties and is needed so that its agents can obtain information from sources who may be afraid of government agents, such as a green-card-holding professor of nanotechnology who formerly lived under a repressive government.

So if I understand this correctly, the military wants the power to question US citizens without revealing that they are government agents.

WTF? I'm afraid I don't understand the question.

If someone were to want to question me, I would automatically assume that they were government agents. Military or FBI makes no difference to me. I would have my lawyer sitting beside me in a heartbeat.

If the military can use info to help protect us, I say go for it. So where's the problem?

And DEENUTZ, I think you're overreacting or misinterpreting a bit. I don't see how you get to point B from the info presented. And if you decide not to come to Disneyland, well that's OK, too. Shorter lines for me, I say.

from DEENUTZ
I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I feel that I shouldn't have to submit myself to a criminal background check just to hit Disneyland in Florida. I used to love going to Cali and Florida but not again if this is what is needed to get into your country.

The short, sweet answer is, if you want to visit or live in the US, you'll abide by OUR rules. What you feel you should or shouldn't have to do is of no consequence. Your opinions matter only in your own country.

new topics

top topics

join