It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Memorial Erected of Enemy Leader at the Site of 50,000 American Deaths

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
You read it right. An enemy of the United States, who led an attack on America which led to the deaths of over 50,000 Americans, somehow got a memorial erected in his honor RIGHT WHERE THE CRIME TOOK PLACE!!!. It's over 40 feet tall, made of bronze, and hand sculpted. It must have cost taxpayers a fortune. That's right, I said TAXPAYERS, you and me paid for it.

This vile desecration of a sacred piece of land where our fellow Americans lost their lives by this murderer should have never been constructed at all. Now his followers can come and see his memorial and dance on the graves of Americans under their feet. And he has plenty of followers. They protest on a daily basis how they will one day rise again to fight Americans.

These people are evil. All of them. They have hated the rights and freedoms that we have and attacked Americans in order to have them denied to us. They don't believe in 'every man is created equal'. They don't believe in 'every man deserves to live free'. This memorial erected of their exalted leader on the place where 50,000 Americans died is a slap in the face to all freedom loving Americans.

www.dcmemorials.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
You seem to have forgotten to specify which "enemy" it is.

I might need to get the popcorn for this...

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
You could by the same token say that any memorials erected to the Union Army or General Grant are actually worse than a statue of Robert E. Lee, since Grant's policy of "destroy everything" pretty much plunged the South into abject poverty and chaos for years to follow.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
AN ENEMY LEADER? How do you get that Robert E. Lee is an enemy of the United States? Because he was the commanding general of the confederate army? Last I understood He was an American, and one of the greatest military minds of his generation, arguably more so than Grant.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
The link I provided is the clue you need. This thread was to address the outrage by the anti-ground zero mosque folks. Here is the lesson:

Yes, 3000 Americans lost their lives at ground zero, but not by all Muslims, just 19 radical ones. And the mosque is to be several blocks away, not right on the site of WTC.

It seems to me they are using those 3000 deaths as an excuse to hate all Muslims, and to make life hell for the normal ones. This path, I fear, will alienate and radicalize even more Muslims, resulting in more terrorist attacks in America.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Wow this is extremely bias and partisan of you OP.

Just because it's someone who opposed your favorite team in the war, doesn't mean he isn't worthy.

He was an American too. Quit treating the south less sub-humans. Thanks.

Oh and nice work not even mentioning the guys name in your OP. Very bias and shady IMO lol.

I respect all Americans who fought on both sides of that war. They were brothers.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by highfreq

BTW, I am from Alabama, and I think Lee was Awesome, as any self respecting southerner would. However he was a general for an army that declared succession from the United States. Therefore an enemy of the United States.

[edit on 18-8-2010 by 12GaugePermissionSlip]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12GaugePermissionSlip
The link I provided is the clue you need. This thread was to address the outrage by the anti-ground zero mosque folks. Here is the lesson:

Yes, 3000 Americans lost their lives at ground zero, but not by all Muslims, just 19 radical ones. And the mosque is to be several blocks away, not right on the site of WTC.

It seems to me they are using those 3000 deaths as an excuse to hate all Muslims, and to make life hell for the normal ones. This path, I fear, will alienate and radicalize even more Muslims, resulting in more terrorist attacks in America.

So as a result you insult actual Americans ?? You must be sarcastic about all of this right??

Because it seems your taking totally opposite sides on each issue. On one hand you say "don't blame all Muslims for 911" and then on the other hand you say "blame all southerners for slavery". That's what I make of your intentions anyways. So YOU MUST BE SARCASTIC.

HAHA! you got me!

Anyways, aren't we all tired of the NYC 911 mosque issue yet? I've seen this debated all summer long now....

Good joke though, you had me going there! I was totally thinking you were being partisan. Doh!

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
So this thread isn't about Robet E. Lee, it's about the Mosque that is planned to be built on Ground Zero? You can't possibly do a comparison of the civil war and the terrorist attack on 9/11. Total different ideologies and reasons for the actions taken.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12GaugePermissionSlip

BTW, I am from Alabama, and I think Lee was Awesome, as any self respecting southerner would.

Yes I got your joke now. My bad.

You totally had me fooled. LOL!

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by highfreq
So this thread isn't about Robet E. Lee, it's about the Mosque that is planned to be built on Ground Zero? You can't possibly do a comparison of the civil war and the terrorist attack on 9/11. Total different ideologies and reasons for the actions taken.

The OP was showing that you cannot blame all of one culture for the actions of 1 person. By being uber sarcastic about it.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   

I can compare what ever I like. Those 3000 lives are what most justify as their reason for opposing that mosque, so what about 50,000 at Gettysburg? An attack is an attack no matter what the reasons.

ONE MORE TIME...THE MOSQUE WILL BE SEVERAL BLOCKS AWAY!

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Yes this thread was being sarcastic. I had a hard time wording it to not give away the punchline (link).

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Best topic concerning the mosque topic!

It's a trap!

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Sure you have the right to compare whatever you want. Until muzzleflash let me in on the 'joke' I thought you were being serious with your assertions. It's your OP and thread by all means do as you please.
From what I understand there is already a mosque several blocks away, actually quite a few mosques in the general vicinity.
For the record I am not saying I condone or arguing for the mosque to be built in the location. I personally think its a cheap shot and a down right provocative action to choose a site in that location. However whether or not I like it or not doesn't matter the constitution in my opinion grants them the same right to build a temple/community center as say the Jews, Buddhists, Christians, Shinto, and the like.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Hmm. I'm not sure how you meant your post to be interpreted, perhaps you are being facetious. I will try to respond to your post point by point anyway.

First of all, there were no 50,000 American deaths at Gettysburg. The official count is 7,863 killed, 27,224 wounded and 11,199 captured or missing. These figures are combined Confederate and Union losses.

It's a big lovely statue, we have one very much like it of Robert E. Lee here in Richmond sculpted by F. James Sievers. Ours was paid for as was the one in Gettysburg by the Daughters of the Confederacy some time around the turn of the century. I highly doubt US taxpayers paid for it.

It is no vile desecration to have statues to commemorate figures and units that fought here as they were all Americans. Robert E Lee was no murderer, he was the commanding general of the Army of Northern Virginia. America has never raised a son of higher moral character.

Nobody dances at Gettysburg
Particularly not on graves! Most visitors there come with reverence and respect regardless of what state they may be from.

I haven't heard anyone say that the South will rise again and attack the United States. Perhaps you could provide some evidence?

The Confederates fired first at fort Sumter but it was the North that attacked the South. The South only asked to be left alone but Lincoln would not suffer to have any states secede. To do so meant war and it is Lincoln that has the blood of over 600,000 Americans on his hands.

The Union invasions devastated cities, towns, farms and fields from the Shenandoah to Mississippi.
Very little damage was done to anyplace in the North by Confederate armies. In fact, Gen. Lee gave strict orders for his troops to leave citizens and their property unmolested. Not so much as a fencepost was to be disturbed. Too bad Sherman and Sheridan didn't hold the same ideals. They are to blame for much of the suffering during and after the war.

The people of South are no more "evil" than those of the North. It was rich men that started it and they were the only ones to profit from it. 1 in 5 men of age to serve died in the cause of freedom. The think that the North was fighting for "freedom" is farcical, Lincoln only freed the slaves as a military and political tool, not for any high ideals as the history books would have us believe.

The South fought for freedom, they certainly didn't attack it. Your statement about "hated the rights and freedoms" sounds like a recent cliche describing the 9/11 hijackers and why they attacked us.

I believe that all men are created equal yet I am a Southerner. I don't know anyone from the South personally who doesn't think the same. Trying to lump together modern people from the South who would honor the sacrifices and history of those who came before us is in very bad taste. We are not the same as the people who created the Confederacy.

The causes of the Civil war are far more complicated than slavery or even state's rights. To claim a moral superiority because of the 13th amendment is unjust and oversimplifies the history of all that was involved. Neither side held a monopoly on morality.

Robert E Lee was a great American before, during, and after the war.

So here we are 157 years later still fighting the war.
It would seem YOU have fired the first shot, sir.

Regards, ATA
Proud American, Proud Southerner

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Sorry 12guagepermissionslip.

My initial response was to get angry

But then I thought to myself, "What would Bobby Lee do?"

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I agree with the Original Poster that this is a great object lesson.

Antietam by the way was also a battle in the North that caused significant casualties as well.

The Confederate army made it in to Maryland fairly often during various parts of the war.

It is a better object lesson than one might think, as while most Northerners don’t still harbor any resentment from the war towards Southerners, a fair number of Southerners do harbor animosity towards all Northerners.

So yes it’s a great object piece, sadly most people will post before reading the thread, so get ready for a lot of flaming.

I think it’s important to note also that Arlington National Cemetery was deliberately built on Robert E. Lee’s Virginia estate on the orders of Lincoln so that he could never enjoy it as a home again, and to enflame Southern passions.

So American’s including the President do have a fine tradition of making such grandiose gestures to incite and perturb and this might be why so many are inclined to take offense that a Mosque with long standing ties in the community is expanding it’s facility within the community and to add a cultural outreach center.

Basically what 70% of Americans are actually saying about themselves is they would be inclined to do something like Lincoln did out of spite, and to provoke.

So maybe when passions simmer a bit, some of those people will see that what they purport to revile most in Muslims at large through stereotyping them all, are simply aspects of their own individual nature, they assume Muslims must be motivated by similarly, for similar reasons.

Great job OP, and a creative way to approach the issue.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

You sure know how to crap on somebody's corn muffin. This thread was intended to show the ridiculousness of ground zero mosque outrage. You obviously got it to some degree because you said,

Your statement about "hated the rights and freedoms" sounds like a recent cliche describing the 9/11 hijackers and why they attacked us.

And I got the number 50,000 from americanhistory.about.com... and en.wikipedia.org... both report around 50,000

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

I agree with the Original Poster that this is a great object lesson.

Tanks! It took me all of five seconds to see this controversy this way. It pissed me off to see how some will use those 3000 lost lives to justify their hate and bigotry.

It is a better object lesson than one might think, as while most Northerners don’t still harbor any resentment from the war towards Southerners, a fair number of Southerners do harbor animosity towards all Northerners.

I see everyday a flag, sign, license plate, sticker, or something that says "The South Will Rise Again!". I wonder, rise and do what?

So yes it’s a great object piece, sadly most people will post before reading the thread, so get ready for a lot of flaming.

Already have my ATS approved fire extinguisher ready

So maybe when passions simmer a bit, some of those people will see that what they purport to revile most in Muslims at large through stereotyping them all, are simply aspects of their own individual nature, they assume Muslims must be motivated by similarly, for similar reasons.

Well said.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join