It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Pakistan floods, U.S. must step into breach

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   

(CNN) -- The U.S. response to the increasing natural disaster in Pakistan is, like so much else when it comes to American relations with that country, too little and too tentative.

CNN Link

Read the article. While I do feel very badly for the countrymen of Pakistan who are affected, I find it ludicrous to state that the US or any other country MUST help them. As I recall the US couldn't take care of her own when Katrina hit. I'm not exactly sure how much relief Pakistan offered to America when Katrina hit, but I highly doubt any demands were given. The world hates the US, and for many reasons. The US has become a not very likeable country over the past decades, but everyone expects a bailout from the US when they need it.

I don't like one way streets in the political spectrum. OK one way is a tad strong, however it is a 4 lane highway going one way, and an unpaved dirt road in the other direction.

My opinion here has no basis whatsoever on religion, or geographical area. We need so much help here in the US, and we can't even do that right. Why should we focus overseas first? I don't say ignore the situation. Not at all. But it should not be a priority. Help the unemployed (Millions of people). Help the victims of Katrina who are STILL suffering. Help those poor people in the Gulf who are so adversely affected by BP's oil spill debacle.

Agree with me, or not. I would welcome the chance to speak openly about this.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Thank you OP !

I have the exact same thinking : WHY we HAVE TO help them ???

Ok its sad, im not happy of such things, but this is not the point.

In my country too, we have ALOT and i mean a BOATLOAD of problems, and that money should be used to fix issues for us instead of dillapidating it in useless overseas help and projects.

Why useless do you ask ?

In my mind its like raising a child, at some point, if you dont let him take care of his own responsabillity, if you fix any problems for him, you give him money so he dont need to have a job, you buy him a house and a car etc etc... what kind of children you would have ? a never growup inadapted ultra dependant children unable to live by himself.

I think its exactly the same for country. Let them face the reality by themself, let them stop killing each others because they have to work togethers to find SOLUTIONS and reach the modern world. Without any foreign help, choices are evolve or die.

Instead of hating us and our live can they just open their eyes and see the reality and maybee LEARN SOMETHING FROM US:

Your country are total sh**holes and mine is a modern country were the life is too much easy ( i dont say we dont have any problems, but if we compare...) DONT YOU THINK YOU FOLLOW THE WRONG PATTERN ??? DONT YOU THINK YOUR WAY OF LIFE IS JUST NOT WORKING ???

Maybee killing and corrupting your own population does not help after all ???
Maybee women lapidation does not help at all ???
Maybee starving and depraving your own population does not help after all?
Maybee killing your neighboor because he look at your wife ankle does not help after all ???
Maybee blowing up yourself in bus and mosquee does not help after all ??
Maybee terrorising your women and hide them with all those clown mask does not help after all ???
Maybee wanting all non-believer of the planet dead does not help after all ??

I can go on for about 3 weeks with examples but you got the point....

[edit on 18/8/2010 by B3lz3buth]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
We should just leave millions to die of malnutrition and diseases When we could actually do something to help?

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
if you can help people who really need it, you should

nuff said

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
It seems the ISI is helping them as well. The estimates for rescue and recovery are already in the many billions.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

In addition, I think in large part this happened because we already had troops and equipment there?

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
We're damned if we do and damned if we don't. If we did send people to help Pakistan, the crazies would start screaming that we're trying to invade and/or take over their country. If we don't send people to help, we're selfish bastards who only do things that benefit us in some way and are leaving millions to die.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

We're damned if we do and damned if we don't

Yes, we are in such a predictament. However, I think helping them is the right thing to do despite any criticism we might receive.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

So do I. I'm just not looking forward to the 50 threads claiming we're taking over Pakistan that are sure to follow.

Edit: Forgot a word.

[edit on 18-8-2010 by Jenna]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
More U.S. helicopters join Pakistan flood-relief effort

Seems the US is doing as much or more than any other nation , but it doesnt really matter let the US hate continue.....

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

We should just leave millions to die of malnutrition and diseases When we could actually do something to help?

How much money, ressources, medications, logistics support etc... pakistan ( or haiti or bangladesh etc...) have sent to help america with San-Francisco earthquake or Katrina or whatever else events ? Just curious...

If my government give them money or ressources they have to cut something or invest less in our own infrastructures.

Is this OK with me to loose hospital, my job, social programs etc... to help pakistan or foreign country?

Don't B.S me , everyone know the answer and think the same way !!!

Which scenario do you prefer ?

That money is used to try cleaning the mess caused by BP hell hole as much as possible. ( i dont want to start a debate about this here, focus plz)

or

That money is sent to pakistan or whatever wastedland, happy corexit swimming with the 3 eyeds daulphins.

again don't B.S me.

We CAN'T DO anything to help without getting ourselve in deeper troubles. Money dont grow in tree. The planet is at full capacity, don't you see we are already facing enormous problems because overpopulation.

I call it Leverage, so yes let them die and lets try to survive globally as a race.

[edit on 18/8/2010 by B3lz3buth]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Okay, its really terrible about the Pakistani floods, anyone seen the floods in China? see how they are helping themselves, I have not seen any calls for the 'west' to help China.
Pakistan is a Muslim country, looking at the video of the earth quakes in the north of the country 2 (?) years ago, no one trying to build shelters, clothing aid scattered about, made me think of Christian and Communist countries, who get up of their rears and don't expect god to help them.
What Muslim countries are sending aid to Pakistan, anyone know?
It seems to me its always the Christian countries helping first, I see grain sacks with USA on them, good, never see aid with the red crescent on it.
I give to charities that help people in my own county, no others, charity begins at home, to quote an old proverb.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Yeah well, as an American it's our cross to bear. Granted, our government should spend a little more time trying to figure out how to help those of us in their neighborhood, but helping out with international relief efforts needed because of natural disasters is one of our schticks - and I'm cool with that. Forget the double standard, I stopped listening to the hate America crowd a long time ago. They're hypocrites. If we're in a foreign country, we're evil, but if we're not in that country to help, we're evil. Forget 'em. Helping is one of the things we do... perhaps the best of things as mired in unjustified military actions as we've been in the last decade.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Macuser

what is the un for?

why do we pay the billions in dues to the un?

nah while crap happens on a global scale every single day in the world

it its NOT the sole responsibility of the us to do.

massive debt,
massive jobless

the entire us infrastructure crumbling.....

in my opinion its time WE take care of ourselves before anyone else.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
It's in China's and India's backyard. I haven't heard of any humanitarian efforts from these two global leaders.

I'm tired of everyone wanting our help when in need, then fu**ing us once our back is turned. Let them die and eat their own as far as I'm concerned. They haven't helped us out of generosity in Afghanistan. This will be a hard lesson for them.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
You Americans have already given more than the whole world with the UK second.. Yet their muslim brothers have given crap all..

These folks are the ones who give succor to our enemies and provide logistics to kill and maim our troops in afganistan..

Screw em

Let their muslim brothers in oil rich countries help..

The money only goes to the taliban anyway..

The only thing im worried about is that the government seems to have made itself unpopular on purpose because the president is abroad in luxury..
They have nukes
If al qaida or the taliban take over?

India will respond

Screw iran

This is te one to watch

[edit on 18-8-2010 by Yissachar1]

[edit on 18-8-2010 by Yissachar1]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I agree with the OP

So I've Starred and Flagged

In fact, I'd go further

In the United States and in most of the Western world, people are having fewer and fewer children. Many cannot afford to have children, even in their 30s and 40s because they're heavily taxed and much of their money is used to prop up families who live on welfare and continue to churn out large families (all they produce in many instances)

Meanwhile, in the Islamic world and other 3rd world locations, they continue to breed irresponsibly and continue to bleed the West dry due to their billion-plus populations

I'm inclined to regard the calamities which befall these massive populations as a form of natural population-control and feel the West should stop interfering with Nature and take care of its own

Early US pioneers had very large families too. But there were no government handouts to reward people for breeding, back then. So they stopped producing a dozen or more children per family, once the cost of doing so sank in

By propping up 3rd world people, we're preventing them from learning lessons for themselves

and in playing nursemaid to Islamic and similar religious groups, we're enabling them to breed us off the planet

' Charity begins at home ' is as true now as it was 500 years ago

It's my opinion also that all aid to Israel should have been halted decades ago and all those with loyalty to Zion should be booted from US and other politics right now

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by Macuser

what is the un for?

why do we pay the billions in dues to the un?

nah while crap happens on a global scale every single day in the world

it its NOT the sole responsibility of the us to do.

massive debt,
massive jobless

the entire us infrastructure crumbling.....

in my opinion its time WE take care of ourselves before anyone else.

I agree with you fully.

To others who have posted on this thread I will answer you broadly rather than directly.

1) Do I want to see countless peoples suffer? No I do not.
2) Do I think if we are able to help that we should? Yes I do.

Reasoning for my beliefs.

1) I don't want to see anyone suffer. I see suffering on the news, and more importantly on the streets of my city every single day. It's not just abroad. Fact.

2) If we might be able to help then we should. Agreed. However we are in debt mounting to TRILLIONS of dollars. Let me put it in laymans terms, in a way I hope we all might understand. Bob and Sue have a nice home. A couple friends or family members got into trouble so they maxed out their credit cards to give a little relief to their friends and family. Bob and Sue used up all their liquid assets, and are now in debt. Their friends and family couldn't help the couple when they were having trouble paying their own bills. In fact their friends and family did some not so nice things behind the backs of Bob and Sue. Their children were starting to wear old clothes, and wondering where the next meal would come from. Are they still expected to help when they don't have the means to help their own family?

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Why should the US poor more money into Pakistan? Lets see how Pakistan helped the US during Katrina.

On September 4 Pakistan offered to send a team of doctors and paramedics to support the relief agencies. Pakistan also pledged $1 million through the Red Cross.

Source/Wiki

Wow, offered to send a team of doctors and pledged a cool million to the red cross. How generous of such a great friend and ally.

Oh, and lets not forget how much the Pakistan ISI has helped the Taliban....oops! I mean US.

Yup, better spend millions over there helping your great friend when your own nation is falling down around you.

[edit on 20-8-2010 by FreeSpeaker]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
America in, America out, America in, America out, America shake it all about.

how long are you going to let your country be bullied into dancing for countries that hate you?

new topics

top topics

join