It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is There An Increase In Mothers Killing or Abusing Their Children?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
August 17th a mom drowns here kids in a car. www.nypost.com...
I remember something like this before happening, but from a different mother. Then there is the mother that threw her children into the icy waters of San Francisco Bay. What ever happened to that? Now there’s the abuse from the mother on a SouthWest airline today, and after several eye witnesses told the police officers what happened, the cops let her go (see my thread in ATS News Firehose)!
According to the Public Health Agency of Canada, in 2001 there were just as many children murdered by their mothers as were by their dads. www.canadiancrc.com... Add this with the Canadian Children’s Rights Council report that states’ “A mother who murdered her baby committed a lesser crime than if she had killed an adult .... It doesn't make sense..” And this, “On October 4th, 2005, The Public Health Agency of Canada released the report of the second cycle of the Canadian Incidence Study of Reported Child Abuse and Neglect Major Findings2003 (CIS). The study highlights a dramatic 125 percent increase in the incidence of substantiated child abuse and neglect cases in 2003, the most recent period measured.” And this as well, “A Baltimore mother who deliberately starved her one-year-old son to death will soon be released after pleading guilty, reports the Associated Press in the story “Mom of starved Md. child to be released after plea.” Ria Ramkissoon deprived little Javon Thompson of all water and food, forcing him to suffer a lingering and agonizing death, after he failed to say grace as demanded by the teachings of her cult - never mind that a one-year old might not be able to utter such complicated language. Lawyers have rationalized her crime as the acts of a confused and misguided woman.” www.openmarket.org...
This from today, “911 Tape: “I Just Killed My Children”
On a 911 tape released Wednesday, Debra Jeter, the Central Texas woman who pleaded guilty to charges in an attack that left her younger daughter dead, can be heard imploring a 911 operator to rush an ambulance to the abandoned house for her badly wounded older daughter. www.kwtx.com... And this, “Mummy, don't': Woman kills her only daughter, 12, after boyfriend says, 'It's the child or me' www.dailymail.co.uk...
I’m not sure what’s happening in America, but we seem to be having an increase in mothers abusing, yes, even killing their children. What is causing this? Genetically modified food? Poorly made or intentionally modified Pharmaceutical drugs? Or is the veil of non-disclosure coming off? The days of women feigning innocents has gone too far. The old story claiming that they were the victim is gone, but will the law or courts believe it?

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
No.

But there is a tremendous increase in the reporting of this kind of "news", as i am sure you are aware.

Violent crime, sex crimes, and especially violence against children have been steadily declining for decades.

It's the news. It's baaaad for you.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0zzymand0s
No.

You obviously didn't read the links to the facts. There is an increase.
By the way, how were you able to post your reply so fast when my thread hadn't even made it to the board yet?
How do I now? I use two computers with four screens. I refresh them every 2 seconds. My thread was posted 47 seconds after your reply.
How did you do that, and who are you?

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

Have you thought about researching statistics as opposed to news articles?

Also try to consider the increase in reporting Vs the ACTUAL increase in "attacks".

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I think its possible that there is an increase in abuse (killing I am not sure). Families that I have observed over the past 15 years and instances that I have heard of, more mothers are abusing their children. A lot of women work now, take the kids to and from day care, take care of them and ready them for childcare or school the next morning. I know that some Fathers help with this but overall those I know of have had very little help from the Father or others in the family. All in all the women are stressed - difficult to work all day, listen to kids demands in the evenings and all the additional work that goes with it. I think it would be wise for women to limit the number of children they have and to ask Fathers to help more, they can't do it all theirselves and remain stable, its just too much. Please keep in mind this is just from my observation and may not be the case overall stastically.

Frayed nerves can cause situations to get out of control.

I was an abused child raised by my Mother and didn't understand the reason for my abuse until much later in life. My Mother worked, took care of me, was lonely, struggling with income and turned to alcohol, her drinking brought out abuse towards me. Abuse to a child is a very sad thing, something you never really recover from.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   

That information is above your pay grade, sir.

Oh, and I use the "recent posts" button.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by jokei

Have you thought about researching statistics as opposed to news articles?
Also try to consider the increase in reporting Vs the ACTUAL increase in "attacks".

This is from my thread above. I'll recopy it and make it bold so that you can read the research yourself. You can read big words can't you?
According to the Public Health Agency of Canada, in 2001 there were just as many children murdered by their mothers as were by their dads. www.canadiancrc.com... Add this with the Canadian Children’s Rights Council report that states’ “A mother who murdered her baby committed a lesser crime than if she had killed an adult .... It doesn't make sense..”

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
It's hard to say if there really is an increase in maternal child abuse and murder because of a number of factors. First, our access to news world-wide has dramatically changed (even in just the last 20 years). Second, our ideas of abuse have changed, and while I don't think slapping a baby is normal, its something people may not have reported previously.

Let's just say that the reports of child abuse and murder have increased. Why would this be? Here are a few ideas that ran through my mind:

- Integration of cultures: some behaviours are considered normal in a previous country and now those behaviours are appearing in a country where people are more likely to report them.

- Deinstitutionalization: People who would have been locked up and forgotten have the ability to lead normal lives while medicated, and their underlying problems can lead to these behaviours.

- Changes in Societal Norms: Some people are unwilling to change, and feel that they have the right to harm their child. ("I brought you into this world, and I can take you out of it.")

I'm sure that there are many more factors that could leadd to this impression, but historically there have always been people who are capable of harming their children.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1
This is from my thread above. I'll recopy it and make it bold so that you can read the research yourself. You can read big words can't you?
According to the Public Health Agency of Canada, in 2001 there were just as many children murdered by their mothers as were by their dads. www.canadiancrc.com... Add this with the Canadian Children’s Rights Council report that states’ “A mother who murdered her baby committed a lesser crime than if she had killed an adult .... It doesn't make sense..”

So is that an increase or a comparison of the severity of the crime on a male/female basis?

I believe your thread title makes my question relevant, I might be ungentlemanly enough to consider you incapable of making a coherent thread - it seems your post title and the evidence you present do no marry up. In fact they only bear relevance on the subject of child abuse and you present no data, statistical, anecdotal etc to back this up...

You also use your reply to me to bully (my emphasis) another member for pointing out a lack of data (which also implies lack of research) and instead of presenting any evidence to back up your statement you attempt to denigrate my intelligence? I can only see that as a diversionary tactic to obfuscate an ill-founded thread - which is a shame.

I am aware of your presence on this board, I don't necessarily agree with everything you say here, but I have previously agreed with some of your sentiments and starred some of your contributions because I valued their intelligence. I am sorry because I found the initial concept of your thread something that bears merit and was worthy of discussion, yet the tone you have chosen to take does not allow me to give much credit to you or what you are presenting here.

I will however be gentlemanly enough to allow for the possibility of external factors contributing towards the tone of that reply and take it as being out of character for you - as it seems to be.

Good day Sir.

Edit: Typo, additional comment etc.

[edit on 18/8/1010 by jokei]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Thank you for your heart felt reply, your contribution deserves applause.
I wish I could give you more than a star.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
It seems to me that parents aren't around their kids long enough these days to abuse them. So yes.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
From an Australian perspective Id have to say yes, this has been on my mind so much lately that I have been waiting for just one more report before I made a similar thread.

We have comparatively no news worthy events down here so with reference to here, I dont think the increase in cases is due to greater media coverage. We are still talking about the 'dingo got my baby' murder.

Having spent a lot of time around wild & domesticated dingo's, it wasnt the dogs, no chance.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
What is considered 'abuse' these days was commonplace in earlier times

It's not all that long ago (couple of generations) that children were considered 'property'

If you visit forums populated by older generations, you'll learn the extent of what is now termed 'child abuse' as practised upon children by parents and society in times past.

But it wasn't considered 'child abuse' then. It was normal. It was condoned. It was even advised. It was believed 'necessary' and justified

For example, why not research 'baby farms' ? For those who can't be bothered, 'baby farms' were where some women placed their children and babes. Women of no qualification advertised their services. They offered to raise other people's children and babies, for a sum.

Women who'd been deserted by their partners, or who'd given birth to an illegitimate child or who needed to work -- would place their children and babies in baby-farms. Sometimes they ran and never saw those children/babies again. Sometimes they died. Sometimes they married and couldn 't afford to tell their husband they'd had one or more children. Sometimes they didn't want the burden of the child - they may already have had six at home.

Those children/babies were crowded into very small houses quite often. Twenty or more small children in a small room. All those mouths to feed. All those non-disposable diapers to be changed several times each day and night. All those children crying, many of them ill or made ill by neglect and overcrowding. Easily disposed of. Many of those poor childrens' bones are still under the ground today, un-mourned, not missed, their deaths unrecorded and brought about by murder, their burial a shallow grave in the back-yard of the baby-farmers and now below more modern buildings

In 'normal, ordinary' homes, children as recently as a generation ago, were beaten with straps, canes, broom handles, electric cords. Sometimes their only offence had been to enter a room when their parent was in a bad mood or drunk or stressed or angry with Time for making them older

Professional therapists were for movie stars and the wealthy. For many parents, their therapy was beating their child into a coma -- because they could. Because other parents did the same. So did teachers. It was so common as not to be remarked upon

When I went to school, an alcoholic male teacher with a grudge against my father, used to grab me by the pony-tail and smash my face into the blackboard. His 'reason' made no sense, but he was never questioned so basically the 'reason' was simply that I was my father's daughter and easier to beat up than my father was.

Boys at my school were subjected to beatings with a selection of canes which were displayed in a special rack near the teacher's desk. The canes ranged in size from whip-thin to broom-handle circumference. Part of the sadistic ritual was for the teacher to call one or more boys to the front of class and force them to stand there, awaiting a beating, while the teacher pretended to be deciding which size cane would cause the most pain. If a boy flinched on the downstroke, the teacher would bring the cane up aginst the very tips of the fingers or against the fingernails, which was excruciating. In addition to classroom beatings, each morning before the massed pupil population, the headmaster administered similar beatings to half a dozen or more boys described as 'incorrigibles'

Flip forward to my children's generation, which was supposedly 'enlightened' by this point. Really -- so why was Mr. Stavros grabbing little boys by the ears and using those ears as 'handles' via which to drag those children from the school-gate and across the school-grounds to the office ? The headmaster never did a thing. I spoke out. My children paid the price. This was in the early 80's and onwards. My son was beaten each week by the music teacher, until another teacher told me that only my son and another boy continued to attend the class. That whistle-blowing teacher was systematically victimised for her courage and finally kicked to the kerb. I was threatened by the Teachers' Union, who claimed it would take me to court for ... who knows ? Perhaps because I had words with the headmaster and his sadistic music-teacher and his limp-wristed sports-master partner. They didn't take me to court, although I invited them to go hard at it. Maybe the fact I had already contacted the media by that point decided them to 'let me off with a warning' ?

Mothers and fathers at the end of their rope usually had a favourite whipping-child .. the one described as the 'bad one'. When the child could take the beatings and abuse no longer, he/she left home. No-one accused those parents of 'abuse', even in the 80's and 90's or even today

Children died from beatings and other abuse doled out by their parents. Others limped around, covered in bruises, bent over from cracked ribs, faces split and scarred. They still do

Fathers raped their daughters, impregnanted them, drove them into unwed motherhood, shame, suicide. They still do

Mothers jealous of their daughters continue to destroy their self confidence and send them out into the world like walking-wounded

Neighbours and teachers continue to turn a blind-eye because they 'don't want to get involved'

Realtives continue to ignore evidence of abuse that's right under their noses. They tell themselves that even though the child is being abused, it's better off with its parents than to be placed in foster-homes which may likely continue the abuse

Some -- certainly not all or even half --women who were sexually and/or physically, emotionally, verbally abused themselves may themselves abuse. Same with fathers

Some parents may kill their offspring. Every now and then we hear about a child which has been kept in captivity -- in sheds, in attics, for decades. Why one child and not another within the same family ? It's long been a matter for research. I don't think any firm conclusions have been arrived at.

Is there any difference now between how children were treated in the past -- even the recent past -- and today ?

Yes. People are reporting more now and so is the media

Will reporting child-abuse help to stop it ? Yes. Because it means the parent will suffer. When people realise they will suffer for their actions, they suddenly learn to stop it

Will we ever see an end to child-abuse ? No, unfortunately. But compared to even a generation ago, we might see a steep decline now that parents understand they will be punished, exposed, jailed

Does the parents' wealth, education, own childhood, social status, etc. make a difference in who will abuse their own and other's children ?

No. Child abuse occurs in the most and least-wealthy homes and every type between. Same with the parent's education, social status, etc.

Is child-abuse at the same levels as in the past ? Sadly, it most probably is, although often the type of abuse has changed in many instances -- parent's abusing their children's minds, emotions, self-confidence etc. rather than the more visible physical abuse

Are parents murdering their children more these days than in the past ? I don't believe so. Once again, what society and the media once kept behind closed-doors is more likely to be reported now, that's all

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
i don't think so.

actually, women are more likely to kill children than men are.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Im glad to see this thread, simply because i have noticed myself. being a young single male (with no children) i have had the occasion to date/court single mothers of my generation. but i must emphasize my generation.

it seems to me there is a rise in illigitemate children. also, just speaking about my area of the earth, a rise in federal ie:THE STATE housing. generally it seems these single mothers hold some type of grudge against thier children. i too was raised by a single mother with a short temper, but it seems as if they have an honest grudge against there own flesh and blood. so in my attempts to find a suitable mate i now stray away from single mothers, i just dont think children need to be yelled at or repremanded physically. even a very small child is more in tune with whats going on in the world than some, it seems, would give them credit for.
HAIL THE STATE

new topics

top topics

join