It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big brother's iris scanners

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
A company is setting up iris scanners in Leon, Mexico. The whole city will have them. Every time somebody goes to take money out of an atm or anything of that nature, they'll have to be scanned. This is pretty scary. I get chills every time I read something like this. How long before it comes here? As a side note: It always gets me when they try to pass stuff like this off as a good idea or for "our own good".

www.fastcompany.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I don't see anything wrong with a private bank using iris scanners. No one has to use a bank, and if they do they already have a personal code, personal id number, that they always use.

Now iris scanners elsewhere in society may be an issue. Such as to cross state borders, have a driver's license made, or have a passport made. Let's face it, in order to control us they need as much info, and tracking data they can get access to. DNA, fingerprints, iris scans...this gives new meaning to the term "individual". It no longer refers to the individuality of our minds, rather it has become the uniqueness of our physiology.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I was told by a friend who took a drug class once that when they legalize weed they will be using this iris technology too see if anyone is driving when high. She said that there will be a picture of your eye on the back of your license so when cops scan you they know whether your "driving under the influence."

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
KI don't see it as a problem with ATMs so much. You are already tracked at the ATM so what does it hurt to put a nearly fool proof security measure in the mix? It's not like this will allow them to track you more.

On the other hand, if this creeps into other areas, such as building entrances or police cars, then I would worry.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Beat me to the punch... this is definetely a problem... hell... what if you have an eye infection and now have the retinas of a crimal still on the loose...

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by SlyFox_79
I was told by a friend who took a drug class once that when they legalize weed they will be using this iris technology too see if anyone is driving when high. She said that there will be a picture of your eye on the back of your license so when cops scan you they know whether your "driving under the influence."

So be high when your pic is taken! Then everything will match and you'll be good.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Of all the Big Brother moves out there, this is one I agree with.

With the exception Minority Report style mass scanners everywhere, this is a good comprimise. Lets face it, from the earliest times in human history governements have maintained information on it's people. There have always been, and always will be, registries; Retinal scanning is the least invasive and most accurate option available.

To branch off into other threads for a sec...with this technology the US eliminates the problem of illegal immigrants getting access to services and benefits they are not entitled to and eliminate voting scams were entire graveyards full of people vote for a candidate just to name two.

Although I am a massive advocate for privacy and personal freedoms, some concessions have to be made. The question is not whether these technologies will be used, rather the question should be which technologies do we as a free people accept? It is not an unreasonable request for a government to want to have positive ID on it's citizens, some way to say without question who a person is: Of all the options on the table, this one has the least room for abuse.

Remember, on paper, government is there at our request to carry out our wishes as a group.

Corruption and abuse of power exist only to the extent that they are allowed to. If people take a stand and spell out what is and is not an acceptable trade off between personal freedom and the stability of thier society then there is nothing to fear from some of these ideas.

At the end of the day the power is, as always, in the hands of the people. If poeple are going to float through life and not get involved then we are going to see all of our worst nightmares come true from the expliotation of apathy.

Apathy is our enemy, everything else is a spin off.

[edit on 18-8-2010 by [davinci]]

new topics

top topics

join