It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

god - speaking his name

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I had a dream once that I had figured out the real, ancient name for god himself, that should never be spoken.

I spoke his name from an old manuscript I found and the world seemed to undo itself.

It was a spooky dream. Anyway, its not prophetic or anything, but got me interested. It was like I unlocked a puzzle or something...

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I remember reading a story when I was a kid that said a similar thing, and the film 'Warlock' was based on this concept. In it, the warlock (Julian Sands) discovered a book which contained the lost name of God which would undo creation. Pretty good film.

d1k

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 03:11 AM
link   
That was a great film
I think there was a sequal but do not remember for sure.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 03:49 AM
link   
There were two I think. Neither were as good as the first.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I remember a sci-fi story about a sect of priests who were looking for the billion names of God. They had been doing this by hand for thousands of years. They were then given a computer to do the work. They reference to they felt man and the universe was created for this task. Well, as the computer completeed the task, the stars started to wink out of existance...

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Christian view;

Question:

There are some who teach that God's real name is "Yahweh" and that is the name we should be using for him. Would you please tell me if you think this is true or not?

Answer:

God's real name is "Jesus Christ".

The word "Yahweh" means "He is".

It comes from the ancient Hebrew root: "Yah" which stems from the archaic word, "to be".

These are terms derived from the divine name of God as revealed by Him to Moses in Exodus 3:14+: "I Am", or "I Am He":

"Then Moses, speaking to God, said to Him, 'I should go, then, to the sons of Israel and say to them, "The God of your fathers has sent me to you?". But what if they ask me God's name, what am I to tell them then?" And God said to Moses, 'I Am who I Am'. "

This', God added, 'is what you must say to the sons of Israel: "I Am has sent me to you".

And God also said to Moses, 'You are to say to the sons of Israel: "Yahweh" (i.e., 'He is'), "who is the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you". This is my name for all time; by this name I shall be invoked for all generations to come." (Ex.3:13-15).

The Name of God

Islam view;

Allah is the name of the only God in Islam. Allah is a pre-Islamic name coming from the compound Arabic word Al-ilah which means the God, which is derived from al (the) ilah (deity). It was also the name of the chief god among the numerous idols (360) in the Kaaba in Mecca. Today a Muslim is one who submits to the God Allah.

Islam means submission to (Allah), but originally it meant that strength which characterized a desert warrior who, even when faced with impossible odds, would fight to the death for his tribe. (Dr. M. Baravmann, The Spiritual Background of Early Islam, E. J. Brill, Leiden, 1972)

Many believe the word �Allah� was derived from the mid- eastern word �el� which in Ugaritic, Caananite and Hebrew can mean a true or false God. This is not the case, �The source of this (Allah) goes back to pre-Muslim times. Allah is not a common name meaning �God� (or a �god�), and the Muslim must use another word or form if he wishes to indicate any other than his own peculiar deity.� (Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics (ed. Hastings), I:326.)

Is Allah the name of God?

[edit on 20-6-2004 by infinite]

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
A desert warrior who, even when faced with impossible odds would fight to the death for his tribe.

Infinite- That sounds a lot like lucifer. A desert warrior=yes
faced with the impossible=yes
fight to the death for his tribe of angels=yes

Very good point, thanks.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   
But isn't it also true that "yahweh" is not the original word? From what I remember, wherever you see, in the Bible, THE LORD, it was, at one time, God's true name. However, it was thought that to say His name was a vulgar thing because we are dirty little humans, and He is The Almighty. Therefore, since the Hewbrew peoples stopped saying it, the true name passed out of existence, and we were left with only "yahweh" as a substitute.

I could be totally wrong on this, of course.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I would guess saying HIS true name would have similar result to actually seeing HIS true face, immediate death. We cant handle things of that magnitude.

- Was

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Rockerdom: I will post info on Yah Shua Mashiyach, but it will be later today.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Thank you very much, Popeye. My dad is a priest, I guess I could just ask him, but I...can't...stop...posting...

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Please explain the concept behind why saying the true name of God, if there is such a thing, would wreak such havoc?

Thanks

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   
The myth is that if you knew God's true name, you could order Him around, or destroy him, or whatever, thus negating all creation.

The reason the Hebrews stopped pronouncing the name was because they figured their own mouths were too dirty to say the name of God. Unfortunately, they stopped using it, and since they didn't write vowels, we don't know the "true" name of God, though Yahweh is most likely a pretty close approximation.

top topics

join