It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATTENTION: There is already a church on ground zero

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
That's right a church

Those damn bigoted Americans are cool with a church on ground zero but not a mosque!!!!1111oneone

What About the Ground Zero Church? Archdiocese Says Officials Abandoned Project

oh wait

The Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America accused New York officials on Tuesday of turning their backs on the reconstruction of the only church destroyed in the Sept. 11 attacks, while the controversial mosque near Ground Zero moves forward.

"We have people that are saying, why isn't our church being rebuilt and why is there ... such concern for people of the mosque?" Father Alex Karloutsos, assistant to the archbishop, told FoxNews.com. He said "religious freedom" would allow a place of worship for any denomination to be built, but accused officials with the Port Authority of making no effort to help move the congregation's project along.

But don't worry folks, the ground zero mosque has been fast-tracked through the New York bureaucracy, hell all the way to the national bureaucracy, all the way to the bureaucrat and chief.

But where is all the defense for a Greek Orthodox church?

The Port Authority and the church announced a deal in July 2008 under which the Port Authority would grant land and up to $20 million to help rebuild it in a new location -- in addition, the authority was willing to pay up to $40 million to construct a bomb-proof platform underneath. Within a year, the deal fell through and talks ended. Port Authority officials told Fox News that the deal is dead.

Why does one religion get fast-tracked through the infamous New York bureaucracy while another gets red-taped to death?

Is there a difference?

Does the Constitution provide the benefits to only one group, giving them the giant red-tape cutting scissors while another gets ignored?

Is this freedom of worship? Favoritism?

Why must we be sensitive towards one religious group, displaying our tolerance and openness, respecting their freedoms, while another group gets ignored and pretty much denied their freedom to worship on a certain particular spot?

Why does a church, that was already there, get red-taped, while a mosque gets fast-tracked?

Or does the first amendment only apply to a few?

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
ya dude, 4 story st. nicholas greek orthodox.

that was really on GZ.

i don't want to give any one ammo but that church should be rebuilt.

REBUILT, RE-built, not new built with some bs, pc.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I don't think anyone opposed the church being rebuilt on any moral grounds. To insinuate that they did is just fabrication. Why I am responding is beyond me.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthdude
I don't think anyone opposed the church being rebuilt on any moral grounds. To insinuate that they did is just fabrication. Why I am responding is beyond me.

Yea but somehow the government can drown a church in red-tape but turn around and fast-track a mosque.

I guess there is something that I missed in the first amendment.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
The issue with St Nick's is complicated beyond what is being implied here. They have been in arbitration and negotiations with the Port Authority for years about a land swap deal, for money.

The Port Authority wanted the land St. Nick's stood on for a security center for JP Morgan Chase and other buildings also in negotiation for ground zero. And there's probably more to that story than even that. www.observer.com...

But brilliant PR on someone's side to link this to the Islamic center, which had no such land swap or financial issues to deal with, is not dealing with the Port Authority or other financial issues, and is not even remotely the same situation.

The NY Times has covered this as well.

www.nytimes.com...

Do a little research.

[edit on 8/18/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

It really doesn't matter about the complications.

Don't you think that sticking a mosque on a certain particular spot that many Americans feel emotional about is complicated as well?

In the name of religious freedom of the Muslims that should build a mosque anywhere they please, a church should be able be rebuilt regardless of any background clutter because the right to worship on any spot should trump everything.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
You're emotional about an old Burlington Coat Factory? I'm so very sorry for you. Enjoy.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
You're emotional about an old Burlington Coat Factory? I'm so very sorry for you. Enjoy.

You are stoic about an area where 3,000 Americans died?

And about your you tube link, explain where I say that Muslims don't have a right to worship in America?

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Those who oppose the mosque generally think this is a religious war. They are quite wrong. Money brought the buildings down, not religion.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthdude
Those who oppose the mosque generally think this is a religious war. They are quite wrong. Money brought the buildings down, not religion.

You are probably right, I really don't know.

But the problem is that the mosque issue is bringing out confrontation that will lead to anger among the American people that can lead to a religious war.

Most people don't care about Muslims worshiping in America, that might change if this particular mosque is built.

What better to serve the many wealthy government contractors than angry Americans supporting more wars in Muslim countries.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
The Imam of the community center should put the Greek Orthodox church in the same building.

The 'mosque' is going to hold the two top floors, why not give the church the 11th floor? Problem solved.

top topics

join