It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnetic mega-star challenges black hole theory

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   

A neutron star with a mighty magnetic field has thrown down the gauntlet to theories about stellar evolution and the birth of black holes, astronomers reported on Wednesday.

The "magnetar" lies in a cluster of stars known as Westerlund 1, located 16,000 light years away in the constellation of Ara, the Altar.

Westerlund 1, discovered in 1961 by a Swedish astronomer, is a favoured observation site in stellar physics.

It is one of the biggest cluster of superstars in the Milky Way, comprising hundreds of very massive stars, some shining with a brilliance of almost a million Suns and some two thousand times the Sun's diameter.

The cluster is also, by the standards of the Universe, very young. The stars were all born from a single event just three and a half to five million years ago.

Within Westerlund 1 is the remains of one of galaxy's few magnetars -- a particular kind of neutron star, formed from the explosion of a supernova, that can exert a magnetic field a million, billion times strong than Earth's.

The Westerlund star which eventually became the magnetar must have been at least 40 times the mass of the Sun, according to the study, which appears in the research journal Astronomy and Astrophysics.

If so, intriguing questions are raised.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
Source: rawstory.com...

How could a star that big turn into a neutron star, as opposed to a black hole? It's amazing how little we know about our universe, even if it seems like we are on the verge of figuring everything out. Leave it up to the vast and complex universe to throw us a curve-ball to shake us off of her trail.

The authors of the study say that the star could have slimmed down a little before becoming a magnetar and the answer could lie with its binary system. They reckon that this companion could have stole mass from the large star, allowing it to escape turning into the monster that is the black hole. Read the article.

It's quite interesting and makes you wonder what else we will learn that could turn accepted science on its head.

--airspoon

[edit on 18-8-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
For everyone who believes that science will one day have the answers....I say ya only on the universe's terms! how little do we know

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
So now they have to change their Religious Beliefs again?

I keep saying this but few get it.

Science is about observable fact.

Most of these "theories" are not scientific fact. They are merely religious beliefs.

It becomes religion because they accept "Theories" as FACT. And then argue with me incessantly about how they are right and I am wrong.

And then stuff like this comes out. I laugh so hard.

I predict they will be wrong again, and again, and again, ad infinitum.

I can hear exactly what they said when they realized this.
"Whaaahuuuuuh???"

So why are they allowed to get the government to subsidize their Religion in school when other religions are not allowed?

The fact they are having to revise their theories proves they are subsidizing religion in school under the guise of "science" but this is not real science. Real science is about experimentation and observation. And the Experiments have to be repeatable.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by The Endtime Warrior

I believe that our minds aren't capable of understand the universe, just as a dog can't comprehend the English language. We can be familiar with routines and patterns but the mechanics will forever stay sealed from our awareness.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

I think you are right on that, airspoon. There is nothing wrong with that either. In fact I feel more liberated knowing this.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
So now they have to change their Religious Beliefs again?

I keep saying this but few get it.

Science is about observable fact.

Most of these "theories" are not scientific fact. They are merely religious beliefs.

It becomes religion because they accept "Theories" as FACT. And then argue with me incessantly about how they are right and I am wrong.

And then stuff like this comes out. I laugh so hard.

I predict they will be wrong again, and again, and again, ad infinitum.

I can hear exactly what they said when they realized this.
"Whaaahuuuuuh???"

So why are they allowed to get the government to subsidize their Religion in school when other religions are not allowed?

The fact they are having to revise their theories proves they are subsidizing religion in school under the guise of "science" but this is not real science. Real science is about experimentation and observation. And the Experiments have to be repeatable.

That's the thing about theories. They are mutable upon further evidence. It's rather difficult to experiment on a star.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I'm not able to connect this story with religious beliefs in any obvious manner. Did I miss something here?

Having said that, very little scientific knowledge is fact. Most of what we know throutgh science, is by theorizing, granted those theories are based on observable evidence.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
How could a star that big turn into a neutron star, as opposed to a black hole? It's amazing how little we know about our universe, even if it seems like we are on the verge of figuring everything out.
[edit on 18-8-2010 by airspoon]

How could you ask eh? May i ask you how could you believe in such things as black holes, when not a single one has EVER been spotted?

You are correct though in the statement how little we know about the universe. The fact that we know very little does not however give permission to come up with absurd ideas such as black holes.

[edit on 8/20/2010 by above]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   

i get it perfectly, muzzleflash.....good construction on that post.....obviously a fertile mind.
and this world gives them great gobs of money, and a career.....i figured that was within Gods system....and the university proffessors all feeding their own system to the point where they never leave the realm of the campus....yep

[edit on 20-8-2010 by GBP/JPY]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
reply to post by The Endtime Warrior

I believe that our minds aren't capable of understand the universe, just as a dog can't comprehend the English language. We can be familiar with routines and patterns but the mechanics will forever stay sealed from our awareness.

--airspoon

I disagree. Look at where we are now compared to even a few hundred years ago, the majority of people could never have thought we would be able to understand and achieve what little we have now. Those that could were often silenced.

We learn from trial and error. Eventually given enough time, and honourable motives (something sorely lacking), we will discover more and more until we have as complete an understanding as possible.

The real reason our understanding is limited is due to flaws in our makeup. Religion forbids anything that will expose it for the sham it is. People are more interested in their own survival - and science is often a means to an end. They would rather make money than find the truth.

Obviously there are many people who do science for the right reasons, yet how many times have these been silenced or ridiculed because their discoveries challenge the status quo and the liars?

As a collective, the human race is more than capable of understanding. We are capable of MASTERING the entire universe. Dont believe me? Look at how we harness the forces of nature on the planet right now. Imagine what we could do if we worked together rather than for ourselves.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by EnactedEgoTrip

Your post is the perfect example of the arrogance of man and the main thing that is wrong with the world today. Saying we can harness and understand the workings of the universe. How arrogant is that? Maybe we should explore and get an understanding of the 80% of the worlds oceans we havent been able to explore or understand yet, before we even consider a harnessing of anything off the planet.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Just because we advance our knowledge, doesn't mean that we are capable of understanding the mechanics of our universe. Really, we are only learning about our perception of the universe, though who's to say that our perception of the universe is right. Take quantum mechanics for instance, that is some weird stuff, in part not even observable. Furthermore, minus philosophizing about string theory, what we do observe doesn't fit in with what we observe about astrophysics.

Really, if our brains weren't capable of observing or even understanding the mechanics of the universe, we wouldn't know it and even if we can, in the future, come up with a unifying theory of the universe, it will only be about our perception of the universe and how it works. With that being said, we can't even explain our current perception of the universe, much less prove it, though very little in science is proven fact.

--airspoon

[edit on 20-8-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   

You clearly don't understand science at all.

Science is about producing scientific theories which are the best explanation for the known facts but which may change or even be rejected as new facts come to light.

Unlike some religious leaders, scientists do not claim to know everything - quite the opposite. And science is constantly striving to discover something new. Every scientific theory is only as good as the next discovery.

This new fact may mean some established theories have to be changed. Or we may tomorrow discover something else that means established theories may be correct after all. Fun innit? It's why people like science - you just never know what you might find. Why, next week we may even discover what 'gravity' is!

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by above
The fact that we know very little does not however give permission to come up with absurd ideas such as black holes.

Lack of knowledge in the field of physics does not give anyone permission to come up with absurdly pompous statements.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Great article. This really goes to show just how insignificant we are in the universe. There is so much that we don't know and will probably never know in our lifetime.This just goes to show that we are slowly beginning to understand the universe around us little by little, day by day. Thanks for the thread.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Your quite correct Essan...

the older model which theorized that all super Nova
are destined to become Black Holes...is the only thing that has changed

now we will build on the evidence that some cosmic events (depending on different variables) can lead to a Black Hole forming
...knowing just what factors are 'different' can lead to correctly predicting when a massive star, can change into a super/mega-"magnetic star" instead of a BH

the BH theory is just evolving with more info, the 'Laws' of the universe as we know it has not been scrapped with this new finding....

[edit on 20-8-2010 by St Udio]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by above

The black-hole theory is based on much more than just a guess due to lack of knowledge. We can actually see stars orbiting the event horizon of what are believed to be black holes. There is much more evidence than this too, such as the prediction of such phenomenon in the theory of relativity.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Science and its theories are only as good as the availible facts that the theory is based upon. Thus the theory is subject to change as data is dicovered that altered the original theory.

We mearly have discovered a new piece of the puzzle that states that there are at least two options a star of suffeciant mass may go either direction. Who would have thought this was the case and at this point in time we do not know if there is a third option, time will tell.

Regarding man and his ability to understand things. Even the scriptures state that when man had one language if left to our own devices there would be nothing we could not do. The opertave word was "nothing", so given enough time, yes we can.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by letscit

Your post is the perfect example of the arrogance of man and the main thing that is wrong with the world today. Saying we can harness and understand the workings of the universe. How arrogant is that? Maybe we should explore and get an understanding of the 80% of the worlds oceans we havent been able to explore or understand yet, before we even consider a harnessing of anything off the planet.

Your post is an example of the IGNORANCE of man and what is wrong with the world today.

Theres a reason TEAMWORK is promoted in the workplace - because we work better when we pool our resources and talents and work for a common goal. Unfortunately these teams are working for a goal which involves a small number of people to get obscenely rich off others hard work. Look at the technology the military has produced. Look at all the stuff we have now. Its nothing in comparison to what we could - and should have.

Now imagine if the ENTIRE HUMAN RACE worked as a team for a common goal that was to MASTER the universe. We could achieve it, especially with no distractions. We need to overcome things like greed and lust for power, we need to cast aside our crutches of religion and self doubt, and then we can achieve something special.

But look at the state of the world now - we are destroying it because we are completely out of harmony not only with nature but ourselves.

Do you think people get things done by not believing in themselves and their abilities?

Life wants to ensure its survival - excepting individuals who are not well, nobody wants to die and this includes every lifeform right back to single cell lifeforms.
We have the ability to pass on what we have learned to our younger generations, so they can BUILD upon what we have learned. Yes this process has become corrupted (mostly by religion), where systems of ignorance are taught to our children, and THIS is why the world is in the mess it is in.

We are naturally inquisitive, curious, explorers. We have the mental and physical capacity to build vessels that can manipulate the laws of physics in order to leave the planet and explore other worlds. Maybe its for the best that in the state our race is in right now that we dont colonise anywhere else - but I hold my belief that eventually we WILL learn our lesson and get on the right path. If this is arrogance then call me arrogant.

[edit on 20-8-2010 by EnactedEgoTrip]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   

What we want to do or what we are determined to do, is much different than what we are capable of doing. I know it is hard to wrap our minds around such a concept, but if you really think about it, there may be some things that we aren't capable of understanding. For instance, a dog has no idea that it can't understand English but sure enough, it can't. The true measure of our intelligence, is understanding what we can't understand or incapable of concieving.

Really, it is anyone's guess as to whether our minds at this current stage of evolution are capable of understanding the complexities of the universe. What we can only state for sure, is that we may be able to explain how we percieve the universe but perception and reality are often two different things, especially when considering the magnitude and intricacies of the physical universe around us.

As it stands right now, nobody is able to say for sure whether our minds are capable of understanding the true mechanics of the universe and such a concept in of itself is hard for us to wrap our minds around.

--airspoon

[edit on 20-8-2010 by airspoon]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join