It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possibly renouncing American Citizenship

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I'm in Norway. Funny how Norway is more "free" then America, yet the only real place I've really felt free was America.

How about we swap citizenship?

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Before leaving the US, try different states and different conditions first.

You would be amazed at how different life feels just moving from urban to rural, let alone state to state.

That being said, good luck in your quest to find "home".

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
If you're even considering it, then hurry and leave, we don't need flip-floppers like you around here.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frontkjemper
I'm in Norway. Funny how Norway is more "free" then America, yet the only real place I've really felt free was America.

How many handguns and assault rifles do you have???

[edit on 18-8-2010 by Soldier of God]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Why not consider changing your status and remaining in America? As I understand it, you do have options such as becoming an American National or a State citizen.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by russ212
www.infoplease.com...

I am researching this very carefully, as I don't want to go somewhere that is heading down the same paths of restricting freedom and growing corruption as the U.S..

[edit on 18-8-2010 by russ212]

Buddy, I must say that you have your research backwards, in case no one has told you yet. First, you must seek out the country that will take you! You will have to sum up your net worth and be able to prove that it matches what the other country WANTS you to bring. Then you will need to prove that you have a skill that no one else in that country can provide. Lacking, that, you will be back at the money thing again and will have to show how you will start a business and hire the locals.

And you might research property ownership, taxes. And then the compatability of foreigners within their landscape, your rights as a non-citizen, etc. I know you are not ungodly rich or you wouldn't be thinking this way, so best forget it. However, if your heart and mind are set on it....

anyway, good luck and goodbye!

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I've lived for more than a year in several different countries, and have also had short term stays in many more. One thing that I've noticed is that there is never a shortage of things to not like about any country. I also have myself in a situation now where I could take on a new nationality, but I don't see the point. I realize that Americans are just about as free as anyone else in the world, and often more so. We have a corporation, government, freeloader, idiot, and jackboot problem the world over. It is not unique to the U.S. The grass is always greener. But go find out for yourelf, I never listened either.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soldier of GodHow many handguns and assault rifles do you have???

In the states? Three. Norway? One. I constantly have to jump through hoops to keep it.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Antigen Shift

I've seen at least 3 posts like this already. Quit being bitter about someone else's decision.
Actually, I can respect if you love your country, but don't get hostile about it. That's the stereotypical American way. We're already angry enough. Break the cycle, break the chain.

Where there is a reason to be angry, you'll find people like me standing there.

I don't get angry over nothing, but I do get angry over stupidity, gullibility, neglect, bigotry, etc (they're all basically the same thing)

It's not the American way to be hostile. Now...if you piss an American off...yes...they can get awfully damned Hostile.

But so what? The only cycle that needs broken is the bleeding hearts for those who would KILL YOU in a heart beat, JUST BECAUSE your'e American.

And as for the OP - if he wants to go live among those types of people, hey man, go for it. But you'll soon remember just how well you have it when you realize how much of a sham the rest of the world really is.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Me? I'm not leaving the US, I can walk around vermont with a semi automatic M16 on my back without problems, I can live on the arid deserts of the Mojave, I can live in the subartic and artic cold of Alaska, I can live in the massive city of New York or live in the subtropics of Miami. I can live on the great plains or in dense forest.

This country has almost every climate I want and only a short drive away.
I am not leave this gorgeous land.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
You don't understand how this works. You move to another country, if you can find one that will let you in. Unless you are wealthy, or you have close family connections there, you will only get a temporary residence permit. Usually for one year, sometimes less, seldom two years. If you behave yourself and are not a burden, you may well be able to get another temporary residence permit. And if you still are not a nuisance you may get another one. Eventually, you will probably get a permanent residence permit but that is never guaranteed.
What you don't get is citizenship until you have lived in a country some years. In Switzerland it's 12 years. In India 20. And still no guarantee.
In my case, I went to Germany as a tourist, got a civilian job with the US army, did that three years, decided that I couldn't live on the wages so quit and went down to the foreigners office. I got a two month residence permit. That means I had to find a job that no one wanted within two months or leave. I got a job washing dishes. Paid twice what I made on base. They then gave me a one year permit. After the one year permit they still didn't have any germans who wanted to wash dishes so they gave me a two year permit. Then after that they gave me another two year permit. Then when that expired I went in to get a five year permit, but found out that the time that I had worked on base counted as residence in Germany so I asked for, and received, the right of residence (Aufenthaltsberechtigung). I could never have been deported. I could also have asked for citizenship since I had been in the country 8 years, but that meant that I would have had to renounce the american since Germany doesn't usually allow dual citizenship, and I didn't want to do that. At that time.
You are looking at a long haul if you want to become a citizen somewhere else. You might go into another country and renounce your US citizenship, no US law against it even if you don't have another one, but some countries, for instance Thailand and Switzerland, make it a requirement to have a valid passport or other government issued travel document to be in them, and if you give up your passport, you go to jail. They try to deport you back where you came from, but if they won't take you back since you renounced, they let you rot in jail as an undocumented alien. Otherwise, every poor african and asian and latin american would go to Switzerland as a tourist, and until they entered the schengen area Switzerland had a relatively open policy about visiting without visas, and issuing visitors visas to those who needed one, and renounce, and since they couldn't be deported, could live in Switzerland forever, bypassing swiss immigration laws. No, that's not how it works. They take in enough foreigners legally, 1/4 of the population there is foreign born, but they draw the line at people who try to bypass the system. Come, visit, leave.

If you don't have a passport from a first (European economic area, US, white commonwealth, Hong Kong, Korea, Japan) or at least second world country (latin america, Caribbean ), traveling is almost impossible. You are treated as badly as a Bangladeshi or Ethiopian, someone that they don't want to take the chance of letting in because you might stay, so they just won't give you a visa. And without a passport from a first or second world country, you basically can't go anywhere without a visa. And if you get a visa at all, it might be for a period of days. A russian citizen friend of mine got a visa for Germany that was good for 5 days, and it wasn't a transit visa.

There was a gentleman several years ago who worked in the software industry. He renounced his US citizenship in protest of US government policies, but he already lived in the Caribbean, and bought himself a passport from the african country of Mozambique for $5000. Mozambique is so poor that they sell citizenship. Well, it kept him out of jail, but the only places you can go without a visa with a Mozambique passport are Singapore for 30 days, the Philippines for 3 weeks, and Hong Kong for two weeks. Everywhere else you need a visa before you go, and what country is going to take the chance of you staying? As soon as he had lived five years on his british colony island, he applied for and got british citizenship. His wife was very ill and had had to come to the US for treatment, and the US government wouldn't give him, a citizen of Mozambique, a visa. As a british citizen, he didn't need a visa to visit. Travel is much easier.

You can google all the information you need, but please understand how difficult life can be if you are not a citizen of a country that people actually want to live in. Or even a citizen of a country people don't want to live in. Don't end up stuck in an airport for years like some people have had happen to them. Can't leave the transit area of the airport, can't go back where they came from. Stateless people do not have the RIGHT to be in any country on this planet. No place HAS to take them in. At most they have permission. Not the same at all.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by russ212

I hope to renounce my American citizenship and leave by the end of this year. My top choice right now is Australia as it is an English speaking nation.

Hah! So much fail here.

1) You should probably wait to ensure you have citizenship in your country of choice before renounce your American citizenship. Oh, yeah, you can't renounce citizenship and then leave; you must be out of the country, and renounce it personally to the appropriate consular officials at the U.S. Embassy.

2) You will find it extremely difficult to get into Australia legally for permanent residence. It is more difficult than getting a Green card in the US. Of course you could go to Indonesia and pay people smugglers $20K to float you across to Christmas Island in a leaky boat that is likely to sink or blow up before you get out of Indonesian waters. If you do make it across you'll get to stay in the detention center for the rest of your life (since you are not a legitimate refugee and you've renounced your citizenship at the US Embassy in Jakarta you have no where to go to).

3) Australia has no Bill of Rights. Religion, Guns, Expression, Association, Press, Self Incrimination, none of it is Constitutionally protected. The press is routinely censored by 'D' notices. Ownership of guns is restricted to need and military style weapons are forbidden. For the most part, these things are all respected; but they are not protected by the Constitution.

4) For an Australian citizen, voting is COMPULSORY. Not voting is not a choice.

5) Taxes are much higher. You pay tax on tax. Sales tax (called GST) is a Federally imposed tax. GST is charged on everything, including other Government levies, taxes and stamp duties.

6) There is universal health care, but it doesn't extend to dental care and hospital wait times are bad. You can get private health insurance as a supplement and get faster service though. Employers do not provide insurance of any kind to employees.

7) I know this sounds impossible, but Australian Aborigines are treated worse than American Indians.

8) The Head of State is the Queen of England.

9) They play Cricket

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by AzoriaCorp

For one, Australia is a continent. Not a country, just as Africa is not a country but also a continent. Australia is a british colony which was first originally set up as a PRISON colony. And based off the freedoms the british have (*cough* losing i should say) I would recommend marking Australia off your list.

Wrong.

Australia is indeed a continent, but it is also a country that occupies that continent.

It is no longer a British Colony and any red blooded Australian would punch you in the nose for suggesting it, mate. And that includes the sheilas.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Hey russ i wrote you a u2u again, please check your mail box...

As someone above stated it is very hard to be a Non-citzen(?).

read my mail and think about it i am open to anything...

peace

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by AzoriaCorp
I would say Switzerland (If they'll take you) is a good place to go. Not sure I like the national healthcare but the country is safe, war free, and quite wealthy. Also, by law, they require citizens to possess firearms in their home. Plus they quite often hold referendums for nation wide issues.

They are very sovereign and very separist. Which are policies America once had. America has forgotten who it is, and needs to be b!tch slapped by its people.

[edit on 18-8-2010 by AzoriaCorp]

Switzerland doesn't have nationalized healthcare. It is required that everyone has insurance however, and for those people who cannot afford it, the state provides the funds for insurance. There are probably hundreds of different insurance companies and they are tightly regulated. So no denials for what some bureaucrat deems is unnecessary treatment.

As for getting in, forget it. It's next to impossible to get Swiss citizenship.

It is indeed a safe, clean and wealthy country. And to boot, the cost of living isn't as high as in the UK. Perfect in many ways especially if you're Swiss.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Why leave?

America has much to offer, you just aren't looking hard enough. Lifestyle? You name it, it's here somewhere...

You want to live off in the middle of nowhere and not be bothered? There are places where your closest neighbor will be hours away.

No nation is perfect, but in my not so humble opinion, this one's got most of 'em beat by quite a margin.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soldier of God

Originally posted by Frontkjemper

How many handguns and assault rifles do you have???

[edit on 18-8-2010 by Soldier of God]

BAM!
I can carry my AR 15 when I go to my grocery store and when I go get coffee.
Lets see Norway or any other country do this.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Mythic Chris

Why do you do that? Where I live, in the rural south, it's not necessary. You walk into a grocery store with a gun here dressed like you're going hunting, no one will say anything. A stranger wearing jeans and a tee shirt walking into the grocery store here might just get blown away. They have guns too.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ZombieOctopus

i think he just wants to live in a less BS starting country.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
No need to consider moving to Australia now.

Rupert just bought the Republican Party. Australia is coming to the USA.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join