It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most US students think Beethoven is a dog

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but if you read the article, it doesn't seem that they passed out tests and these were the answers that were given. Their list seems to be a look at what "Beethoven" (for example) would mean for a person born in the 1990s.

Regardless, someone saying that Beethoven is a dog would be perfectly correct in their answer, unless the question was "who is the most culturally significant entity named Beethoven"? (Though a music hater could make a case for the dog, of course :-)

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Please tell me thats Malarky...I don't really want to believe that most kids are missing out on music history!

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
reply to post by packinupngoin

Nope...

Another study...

New data show that fewer than 25% of 2010 graduates who took the ACT college-entrance exam possessed the academic skills necessary to pass entry-level courses, despite modest gains in college-readiness among U.S high-school students in the last few years.

This is not even a study, it's raw data...

I would say that there can be an argument made for, why do white and Asian students score higher than African American or Hispanic students? Are all of the students being treated the same and taught the same material?

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
We have a terribly media-crazed society. Think of 'the Mojo' of Marvel Comics lore. An entire race built upon galactic TV ratings.

This is partially the result of the myth of edutainment. Television doesn't make a good teacher, it makes a slow learner.

My girlfriend, when she gets off work, parks her butt on the couch and watches History channel or another 'educational' channel. What tends to unfold is predominantly cinematography with a few facts thrown in. Think about this for a second: she watched a 2-hour special on the killing of albinos in Africa by bounty hunters hoping to cash in on the illegal sale of limbs to witch doctors.

When I read the program description, I looked it up online and quickly read two articles. I then gave her the synopsis of everything before the first 10 minutes of the show had passed. As I sat on the computer reading about other things (I had moved on) she proceeded to tell me, every 30 minutes or so..."Oh, oh! Look, this is happening just like you said".

So, to sum it up. I learned more in 5 minutes than she did in 2 hours. Sadly, this is her average rate of daily learning. I can speak no sense to her, she will never look things up and read about them when they can be slowly spelled out to her on TV...

Another example...

I had a few long-time friends over for a evening of food, brandy, and cigars. Every one of them had iPhones or smartphones and they all had an opinion about the Kardashians or Steve-O or some other 'reality' show subject...however, not one of them had read a decent book or interesting article within the last 5 years. It was a terribly dull time for me, nobody was up to date on current events or even interested in anything other than YouTube videos or TV. I understand polite company and not wanting to bring up religion or politics--but current events don't require either of those topics to be delved into to the point of contention.

And think about their children...what will they grow to find important? Human rights? Excessive taxation? Voting fraud?...

Probably not. They will probably be worried about seeing who has a sex tape or will be wondering who was kicked off their favorite reality show.

I think we are lying in the beds we've made, so surveys like these don't surprise me.

[edit on 8/18/10 by Tharsis]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Alot of that can be expected given the circumstances, but Beethoven being a dog is kind of upsetting, I'm heading out side to question some kids on my block as to whether or not this is true..Maybe in Cali. and some Rural areas, but I think the East Coast is a litter sharper than that.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by napayshni57
In my opinion cursive writing will be obselete in a few decades. It will eventually end up like some ancient writing that you have to have a degree to figure out what it says.

One high tax $-per pupil school district near me has removed cursive writing from the curriculum and instead added additional keyboarding & foreign language time. When the school board was questioned they said if someone actually needed cursive, it was to sign their name which any parent can easily teach their child to do. When I heard this I felt a bit of pride in the human species die.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
And of course - this thread leads us back to here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...&flagit=598618

When will the people learn - or care!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join