It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something Strange in the MSM

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Okay firstly mods i dont know if this is in the right place so move/delete as appropriate.

Right then, i have been trawling the threads recently here on ATS and have been keeping myself updated on middle east issues and russia, mainly the iran,israel thing.

After reading what i thought were some pretty sensational stories i have to wonder why the MSM media here in the UK have failed to report on a lot of these things. Usually they would be all over the news as most things that happen in the middle east are. Obviously i know the MSM are rarely accurate, unbiased and truthful but i would at least expect to have something reported over here, but so far nothing of note.

Is there some kind of media blackout happening? If so, why? Have the MSM in your homeland been reporting these issues?

Thankyou for Reading

MooseVernel

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Also what would be the purpose of a media blackout if it is happening as its not like they care what we think anyway.

MooseVernel

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Hmm.

A quick look at the "latest top stories" for World News on ninemsn.com.au yields the following headlines:

World news | ninemsn news
PLO man linked to '72 Oly attack dies 10:35 PM
UK govt marks first 100 days in office 10:04 PM
Drink, then drive? Whisky fuel for cars 10:01 PM
Lebanese colonel charged as Israeli spy 9:48 PM
Three Indian UN soldiers killed in Congo 9:42 PM
17 kids dead in Indian school collapse 9:28 PM
Another UK travel company folds 9:24 PM
UK shooter's ashes strewn where he died 9:11 PM
67 missing in latest China landslide 9:06 PM
Crashed plane in China 'may be N Korean' 9:02 PM
Aid begins to flow to ravaged Pakistan 8:51 PM
Five dead in Thai helicopter crash 8:26 PM
UK train crashes into sewage tanker 8:09 PM
Bus crash in Philippines kills 40 7:54 PM
BBC presenter sorry for rude gesture 7:54 PM
France hunts terrorist with Indonesia 7:49 PM
Smog lingers over Russian capital 7:19 PM
Militants kill two in Peshawar 7:13 PM
iPod blamed for Tokyo train scare 7:00 PM
Five missing as Japanese chopper crashes 6:56 PM
Philippines police in torture probe6:53 PM

Basically only reporting on crashes and so on, nothing about any sort of Middle East conflict except "Lebanese colonel charged as Israeli spy 9:48 PM ". Although admittedly these is only the headlines from the past few hours.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
My guess is there is no middle eastern war to report on?

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Suprisingly alot of stories about daily occurences on the sbs.com.au site

www.sbs.com.au...

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by SerialLurker

Its been like that sincei started looking, nothing about iran military drills on the border etc etc nothing about the nuclear reactor, i only found out about it because of ats and none of my family members who regularly watched the news were even aware of the situation

not even my dad and he always likes to keep up to date on these things (albeit through the MSM)

its suspect to say the least

MooseVernel

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

I never mentioned anything about a war.??

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by moosevernel

Yeah, considering the far reaching implications of a conflict in these places. But then, judging by the crap they do actually report (for example, Posh having a fight with some fashion designer) they seem to be completely trying to avoid causing any sort of fear. What I've noticed is that if they do report anything remotely important, its long after the fact when the threats would have been carried out, or after the problem has been resolved.

Just an observation, not sure if there's anything to it or the researchers aren't doing their jobs

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Maybe, maybe not, but in my experience the MSM arent usually opposed to fear-mongering. and its not just the middle east, there seems to be a lack of reports about anything in afghanistan, iraq or anything of the like. This is usually in the news EVERY day. Just seems strange to me is all. I could be wrong and probably am though.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by moosevernel

Maybe, maybe not, but in my experience the MSM arent usually opposed to fear-mongering. and its not just the middle east, there seems to be a lack of reports about anything in afghanistan, iraq or anything of the like. This is usually in the news EVERY day. Just seems strange to me is all. I could be wrong and probably am though.

Hi there,

Not sure I can agree with this. The recent Israel/Palestine border incident was covered, the fires in Russia and resulting smog were and sadly there have been reports of the violence and death in Afghanistan most days this week. The leadership issues in Iraq were the subject of several news pieces over the last couple of days. If Iran is doing training near their borders... well, that in itself says nothing unless credible sources suggest otherwise.

I think sometimes (and this isn't something I'm directly referring to you about Moose) is if people consider 'msm' as the big media corporations and 'non msm' as media such as ATS, then two are not working to the same obligations. If (for example) the BBC news ran a piece on the border incident by starting it OMG, THIS IS IT, THIS IS WW3!!!!! there would be some serious S hitting the F. A burden of proof falls upon such organisations to back up their commentary, while on ATS and individual can post their opinion which may or may not use the reported information as a factual basis.

Of course, that doesn't mean that any conclusions drawn by 'msm' sources are accurate and the ones drawn on ATS aren't (goes without saying that the majority of the time, like it or not the opposite is true), but then, a good news report should simply state the facts as they stand from as many sides as possible, not draw its own conclusions.

Yeah, there will be people saying 'msm' is only for 'the sheep controlled by those nasty PTB'. That's fine. If such people agree with every - and I mean EVERY OP that has been put onto 'non msm' media then they have my best wishes.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by something wicked

Whilst i agree with the majority of your post i have not seen any stories in the MSM in the UK about any of these issues, could you direct me to some of these please as i would love to see them

thank you

Moosevernel

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by moosevernel

Whilst i agree with the majority of your post i have not seen any stories in the MSM in the UK about any of these issues, could you direct me to some of these please as i would love to see them

thank you

Moosevernel

Hi there, for the TV pieces I can only say I saw them on a mixture of BBC 6 o clock and ten o clock news and newsnight so it's hard for me to provide any futher info - not sure if the bbc iplayer has repeats of news?

The rest are mainly off the BBC news website or the website for the Independent newspaper. Admittedly, the search options on both are a little hit and miss, but on the Israel/Palestine border incident, I was reading real time reports on the BBC site and comparing them to comments on ATS as they came in so were definitely there.

It's worth saying that the Independent website is often very heavy with an editorial slant you may or may not agree with, but then of course, so are the postings on ATS!

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   

News reporting in Australia is also rather quite slow and sometimes I get feeds that don't even make it in to our media for at least 1-2 weeks later however saying that, in regards to the ME you will had noticed there's almost zero mention of Iran now...perhaps it's the calm before the storm? Who knows, all I know is when (not if) Israel and the USA decide Iran needs a kick up their arses we will know about in within an hour of the first hit.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I agree with you.
My only sources are ATS and moxnews on youtube.
No mention in the UK.
I mention whats going on with the US, Israel and Iran and they look at me as if i`m making it all up!

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5

News reporting in Australia is also rather quite slow and sometimes I get feeds that don't even make it in to our media for at least 1-2 weeks later however saying that, in regards to the ME you will had noticed there's almost zero mention of Iran now...perhaps it's the calm before the storm? Who knows, all I know is when (not if) Israel and the USA decide Iran needs a kick up their arses we will know about in within an hour of the first hit.

Hi, I can't speak for Australian media, but there is news on Iran this week. Try here.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Thanks for that however I read the article elsewhere 2 days ago. There is some talk that those Russian fuse thingies are at capacity of approx 3.5% and Iran needs 90% to make a nuclear bomb.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by lambros56
I agree with you.
My only sources are ATS and moxnews on youtube.
No mention in the UK.
I mention whats going on with the US, Israel and Iran and they look at me as if i`m making it all up!

Hi, who are the 'they' you refer to and what is it you are asking them to comment on? If it's opinions raised on ATS or a new site on youtube.... I'm not surprised some of the possible OPs that could have been picked up on here would be received with puzzlement..... but that's because it would make the assumption every OP on here is fact not opinion.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by lambros56

Yep, I get the same here in Australia and so far I have'nt been proven wrong yet (eg: stock market)

top topics

join