It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America needs only one gun law

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by MeSoCorny

Well it sure would make elk hunting alot more interesting!!!, And I don't think those coyotes which try to get in my trash every night would run off as quick if I came outside clapping my hands.

But to the premise of your statement I do wish humanity would stop acting like primitive mutated apes. I'll leave you with part of a dream a dear friend left me once
:

Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

So I think its still ok to dream, but do you mind if I take my rifle with me when I go elk hunting, and please would you allow me to shoot my rifle up in the air to scare off them dang old coyotes every night??

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by GBP/JPY

Yup, that thar sure does sound like Texas fur shore

[edit on 25-8-2010 by AmosGraber]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
Don't know much about law do ya, champ? That'd be the "well-regulated" part of the 2nd amendment. If you think having a right means the government can't stick its fingers in it, then you're pretty darn ignorant about the way things work.

Well actually I do know quite a lot about law, historian here. Regardless, where ya been the last 30 years? The government been sticking IT to us for years, with over regulations, taxing the sales of firearms, while at the same time eliminating gun education and safety course not only from school, but have you been to your local gun conservation club lately??? Membership is down all across the country. Ignorant about how things work? Well, an old fellow once taught me, “I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing.” And you know what the government did to him? They made him kill himself.

So if you think just because I want to reform the decades old additions of tons of laws, no one has done nothing to stop, replacing them with just a simple one paragraph law focused on gun education and safety, and that I’m a idiot for wanting to do so, well then God Bless ya!, Because in about another 30 years, I’d be surprised if anyone will still be allowed to own a personal firearm, probably then if they catch ya with one they’ll make you eat hemlock.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by RandomPunk

I totally agree, too bad we and those who have preceded us, idly did nothing to stop TPTB from crreating this morbid twilight zone styled game of monopoly we are all forced to play we have today!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by AmosGraber

I think someone might have used inception on your "old friend" his dream seems oddly familiar.....

Anywho, it's not up to me whether or not you shoot to scare off the coyotes or take it elk hunting.

I do wonder though, why do you hunt elk? Do you eat them? Wear their skin for warmth? Taxidermy them, dress them up in floral hats and hot pants, and set them at the dining table to be your "family"? Because if it's just for sport, then I may have to shoot you.

[edit on 25-8-2010 by MeSoCorny]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by RandomPunk

I am well aware of that. My post was a "what if/imagine if/wouldn't it be nice if..." type of situation. So don't get all trigger happy with your pointer there, buckshot, because I wasn't aiming at that shot in the dark.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by MeSoCorny

Naw, when I get one I just through it back into the forest, I hunt under a catch and release rule. I hate sport shooters, most avid hunters wouldn't use the word, "hunter" with anyone who doesn't eat the meat of the wild game their hunting.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Ah, well, as you were sir. You can put your hands down. You have escaped the intense blaze of my Super Soaker XP50. Carry on.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by NewlyAwakened

Yes, I heard all that! I too can remember people walking around with rifles and shotguns, and pistols, and no body said a word. The plain and harsh Truth of the Matter is, there are more guns in America than there are people. Crazies will always take a weapon and kill someone with it. Criminals will always have access to guns, period. No amount of legislation or application of law can change that fact. I agree strongly that a gun owner needs to know how to disassemble, clean, load and fire their weapon, and hit the target without collateral damage ensuing. Personally, I would feel a whole lot safer if everyone carried a gun. I'll bet criminals would think twice before attacking an armed woman. I carry most of the time, my weapon is a reproduction of a Remington .44 cap and ball revolver. A heavy weapon, I can easily place six balls into a 6" circle at 25 yards, and I do not have to reacquire my target after each shot. People always say to me, hey, you only have six, what then? I always reply, I only need ONE. I am getting on in years now, and am thinking of going to a .380 in a shoulder rig. Not as much firepower, but a faster rate, and a lighter and smaller package.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Originally posted by autowrench
my weapon is a reproduction of a Remington .44 cap and ball revolver. A heavy weapon, I can easily place six balls into a 6" circle at 25 yards, and I do not have to reacquire my target after each shot. People always say to me, hey, you only have six, what then? I always reply, I only need ONE. I am getting on in years now, and am thinking of going to a .380 in a shoulder rig.

Ever consider if you want a lighter weapon, than your Remington 44 instead of a .38, going with the Glock 27? It’s extremely light weight, comfortable to carry, fully loaded it weighs a little over 26 ounces, although a .38 has a very longer richer history, my brothers are in law enforcement, and both of their departments most of their officers carry Glocks, I think because of their higher firing capacity and quicker to re-load cabilities.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
hey fellow devil dog i think in your hypothesis you are opening up a whole can of worms for the government to get involved. not to disagree with you, but it cannot be better said in the second amendment: The right to keep and bear arms-Period. if you put a string attached to that guess what? down comes the bureaucratic espionage that this worthless government has so longed to happen for a very long time.

remember KISS?
Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

Thus, the reason we still have this right as U.S citizens!!!

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   

boy ya kind of a mean fellow aren’t ya?

There's an old saying, stay out of Hell's way. But no, I am actually a really nice guy till someone crosses me.

what is so dang wrong with reforming and or eliminating all those stupid laws we now have, and just purely make it simple, I know so many in this thread have responded, for example:

Nothing that I can see. Nothing at all.

so really is there anything wrong with wanting to reform or eliminate most gun laws leaving a focus on gun education and safety??

But obviously you have missed a lot of what has been really going on in the USA, gun laws have actually been more relaxed lately, the ban on assault rifles is gone, you can take guns into a national park again, CCW permits are also a great thing. (I know, I know, "I shouldn't have to have a permit to have my gun hidden on me!") but reality is that cops are human and maybe it might be nice that people can have a legal protection against a cop overreacting to finding a concealed weapon.

I understand gun safety myself, they gave a course in 6th grade when I was growing up on gun safety, and when it was over, we got our card.

If we don’t allow convicted felons of violent crimes to have firearms, doesn’t that eliminate a whole bunch of those natural predators, which you were calling for an increase of?

And I will counter that with my previous statement of "One does not train one's enemy to be a better shot than they are." We all know that even that one gun law won't keep guns out of the hands of criminals, but it will give the prosecution something to fry someone who violates it on.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by allprowolfy

We have too many stupid inaffective gun laws already I agree, I am only proposing to get rid of the vast majority of laws, heck the main thing I have said is we need to bring gun education and safety courses back to the schools. I think the consitution is a sacred document right along side the magna carta, holy bible and many other ancient important texts. But you have to ask yourself, do you really like the gun laws we have now? I have not once called to ADD anything, I have repeatedly said the existing volume of laws should be reformed, simple not stupid, with a stress on gun education and safety, seems like common sense to me, and keeping it pretty simple!!!!!
Or I guess we could continue to just simply do nothing, while letting the government continue to run on auto pilot slowly eroding our rights away.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmosGraber
Not only is the right to bear arms found in the constitution, there is a passage in the Bible I think you may like which, at least to me, reflects the same idea. Psalm 144:1, “Blessed be the Lord my strength which teaches my hands to war, and my fingers to fight”

AMEN, MY BROTHER!!

AMEN!

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

I see your point in the short term, last few years relaxation in some areas is obvious. However, this post started mainly because I was remembering back when I was a kid, how almost every house you visited in rural Indiana there would be a gun cabinet, the fun we as young boys had in going out on trips with our fathers, that first hunting trip with your father out in the woods, being taught the proper way to handle a weapon, attending gun safety and education classes in school. WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED? We really did use to be an active involved society, believe it or not neighbors use to talk to each other on a daily basis!...I know it sounds crazy, but just because they have relaxed some of the stupid over regulation of the second amendment. We should not be forced into complacent idleness, either.

In addition, I think bringing gun education and safety not only back into the present day school systems while at least giving the current generation a chance to get the same education I grew up with (because they are the generation who lost out because of the over regulation of the 2nd amendment), is not such a bad idea. Does it even have to come to we have to make it a law to teach gun education and safety courses in school, I seriously hope not, one problem though it would have to be funded, and ya know what that means, taxes. Oh my God....probably the reason it left the schools anyway, how ironic! Because of the funding problems in schools, we now have generations of kids growing up with no driver's education in schools and no gun safety and education in school, while the economy has forced most homes to where both parents have to slave away at 40+ hour jobs just to make ends meet, hmmm.......If I was part of a group wanting to enslave humanity seems like this would be an ideal setting to force a mass of people into. Guess it’s too late, what a great idea, get everyone to argue about everything, even simple ideas, and then when they are so involved with their bickering, stagnation, and doing nothing but engaging in endless unmoving discourse, slowly but with constant forward motion erode away their rights, freedoms and liberties, at such a speed, that whenever anyone or anybody suggest reversing the movement, the overall generation will resist under the false belief and pretense they are losing more rights………WOW……….you have to admit they are very clever!!!

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   

I have a question for you, that I feel that I already know the answer for.

How do you feel about the glut of first person shoot'em up games, that kids are playing these days?

I, for one, am against them being released, or played, by anyone under 18 years old. Not only do they teach kids the WRONG[/COLOR][/SIZE] way to handle guns, but they also teach them that it is ok to just grab a gun and go around shooting people. Just hit the reset button and everyone comes back to life to do it again. Obviously not the way it happens in real life.

I feel that any gun regulation, should, at least in part, should address this fact.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghost of Chewie

Actually, that has absolutely nothing to do with gun regulation, that has everything to do with parental regulation of their kids.

Parents should control what games their children play and while saying that I also have to add Duck Hunt was an awesome game in it's day (except for that dang dog laughing at you when you failed) dangit!

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by MeSoCorny
I don't think that ANYONE should have a gun. Yeah. I said it., so shoot me.
Really though, just think if it was like in the good old days when you had to fight and go to 'war' using your bare hands. So much more manly. It's simple. No guns, no shooting.

The problem with that logic is that the criminals that will shoot you will ALWAYS have a gun! And they dont care if anyone says that guns are illegal, they are criminals! So what is wrong with me being able to defend myself? Why should me or my family, or anyone else for that matter, have to be a victim? If you dont want to own a gun, then more power to you, and I hope you wont be victimized. But if you are then I hope that one of us who want to carry will be there to help defend you.

"Oh but we must defend ourselves!" Well if the offender had no gun it'd be fair game, right?

Nope the criminals will always find a weapon to fight with. They seem to have a problem following the "Geneva Conventions" (yes I know they deal with war, but you get the idea), they never fight fair. Unfortunately they have no honor, if you just throw up your hands, and say "I am unarmed, lay down your stick, and fight me like a man!" They will just laugh at you then beat the hell out of you with that stick and do what ever they want to you anyway.

How Rude! Right?

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I think the main problem with the first person shooter games is it keeps kids glued to the television set, unmoving, and never spending the majority of the day outside. And yes, whatukno, it is about parents being parents, problem is they are all at work spending way too many hours at the workplace, to just make ends meet, so some fat cat in an Ivory glass tower somewhere can buy another villa, support another mistress, all the while thinking they are being modern day entrepreneurs . However, more of that information can be found in another thread of mine I called, “True Capitalism has been dead for a long time, Commercial Oligarchy rules in the present” which can be linked to here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I think GhostofChewie is right they do teach kids the wrong idea about operating a firearm, when I was teaching my youngest of five how to correctly hold and fire his weapon, I don’t know how many times I had to tell him, this is not a video game.

I remember that game(Duck Hunt) whatukno, it was fun, but it did by no means keep us kids glued to the television set for hours upon hours. Best it could do would take up a half hour than it was off again on my bike. Even though those early video games were classic, they also were very simple, which lead to kids to become bored of the games quicker. Now the games are created with that in mind, how to keep them sitting, staring at atoms hitting a screen.

I believe I have read a post here and there (don’t know if I totally agree or not) of someone once alluding to the fact, the first person shooter games help to train the next generation of young kids who will be fighting some war here or there, in fact, I believe the military uses such technology in some of their training now, but I bet its nothing like Halo.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Actually the US Army does have a MMORPG online free for download that is exactly what you are talking about, it goes through training, and missions. (kinda scary isn't it?)

www.americasarmy.com...

And yes you have a point about games being better now than they were before. Hell, they rock now, I do love me a good video game.

Teaching kids how to handle a firearm is more the job of an attentive parent than a school. Schools have in my opinion become too much of a crutch for parents and I don't think that is right.

My dad taught me how to use a gun before I ever went into the class for it in middle school, my first rifle was a nice 30-30 it was reliable (because yes, he taught me how to clean it and service it) and perfect for a child my age to use.

And that is where gun safety should be taught, from the parents.

Hey, there's you a multi million dollar idea, make a game that teaches kids gun safety in a fun way. Make it a challenge for a kid to take apart a plastic replica of a gun and put it back together before his enemy shoots his character. Call it "Gun Legend"

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join