It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America needs only one gun law

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost of Chewie

Not only is the right to bear arms found in the constitution, there is a passage in the Bible I think you may like which, at least to me, reflects the same idea. Psalm 144:1, “Blessed be the Lord my strength which teaches my hands to war, and my fingers to fight”

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

You know what? I think you’re on to something. I think we should get rid of all laws. “Where ever there is authority, there is no freedom”. I think if you want to purchase or own any of those things, go for it. And for that matter if you can purchase 4,000 weapons, while forming your own militia, you would have to have a tremendous following, who obviously belief some kind of great injustice is occurring somewhere.

Enough of indignant sarcasm, I know the thread was posted as “America needs only one gun law”. But the thesis of my statements has been addressed to the political madness of overregulation of the existing gun laws is absurd. In addition, teaching citizens the proper usage of how to clean, take apart, and correctly operate a firearm is not unheard of in America. Heck, it used to be the norm, when I was a kid we were taught gun safety not only by our parents but also in school. And for that matter, when I was in the boy scouts we often times on our campouts would be taught by the scout leaders how to properly operate a gun. I don’t think any of that is insane bureaucracy, do you?

[edit on 24-8-2010 by AmosGraber]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
I got one, I think this is the one and only gun law that this country should have.

If you have been convicted of a violent crime, you cannot ever have a gun.

That's it.

I have, well lets just say more than half dozen weapons myself, all Im trying to say is too many people own weapns they do not know how to operate, clean or properly fire. I hope you know all three.

The existing over regulation of gun laws do not stress gun education or safety at all, I think that is insane. My main call is we need to bring ideas like gun safety courses back into the schools and parents should be teaching their children how to operate a weapon, if they so choose to own one, while eliminating the absurd overregulation of gun laws, replacing them with a more focus on saftey and education. To have a well armed citizenry while not focusing any funding, courses or education on gun safety is absurd.

[edit on 24-8-2010 by AmosGraber]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Just a quick note, I'm former military and have a silver-E pistol marksman ribbon (with medal, the highest we could achieve in my branch) and I was never once required to learn how to field strip any of the weapons. I knew because I'd learned prior, but it was never a requirement.

I was in the US Navy. Just pointing it out because you're generalizing in terms of all military, but it's not true.

I'm not in favor of any required classes, but I'd absolutely be behind free voluntary classes for anyone purchasing a gun (buy a gun, get a free-class coupon!). I've been shooting for years and I'd still probably take up the opportunity, just so I have another reason to train more in a more official capacity.

Keep in mind that it isn't the government's, the firearm manufacturer's, or anyone else's responsibility to teach people how to be smart with their firearms. It's the owner's (or the owner's legal guardians').

[edit on 8/24/2010 by EsSeeEye]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by AmosGraber

I understand where your coming from, and in a way I agree with you, however, I don't think that the government should make it a requirement to learn how to use your firearm.

Why?

Because a lot of these idiots on here want to start an armed revolution and personally, I would rather they be dumb as a box of rocks and earn themselves a Darwin award than actually go out and hurt another American like they want to.

One does not train one's enemy to be a better shot than they are. One day I may have to defend myself or my family against these morons and I don't intend to miss.

[edit on 8/24/2010 by whatukno]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by EsSeeEye

Originally posted by EsSeeEye
I was in the US Navy. Just pointing it out because you're generalizing in terms of all military, but it's not true.

I'm not in favor of any required classes, but I'd absolutely be behind free voluntary classes for anyone purchasing a gun (buy a gun, get a free-class coupon!). I've been shooting for years and I'd still probably take up the opportunity, just so I have another reason to train more in a more official capacity.

Keep in mind that it isn't the government's, the firearm manufacturer's, or anyone else's responsibility to teach people how to be smart with their firearms. It's the owner's (or the owner's legal guardians').

I was a jar-head, squid.

If I could count how many times I had to take apart and put back together again my M-16, during boot camp I’d be a millionaire. And for a recruit to pass on to each phase of Marine Corp boot camp you were required to not only take It apart all the way down to removing the firing pin and put it back together again in under a time limit while a Drill Instructor was giving you very aggressive attentive communication to say the least. In addition, every Marine while serving out in the fleet no matter what job he or she was doing is assigned a weapon, while being required to routinely qualify and maintain his or her weapon, but no disrespect intended, it doesn’t surprise me they didn’t in the Navy.

You should keep in mind there is also nothing wrong to teach gun safety courses in school either. And why is it in the boy scouts do they not teach young kids how to fire and clean weapons anymore? On both points our paranoid present day society would look at such things in horror.

I love your idea about the coupon for free classes, which I imagine every gun conservation club would love if groups such as the NRA or others would spare some of their PR money for such an idea, to help fund the classes properly.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

I understand where your coming from, and in a way I agree with you, however, I don't think that the government should make it a requirement to learn how to use your firearm.

I agree, but why do we think we have to have the government to fix things in the first place. Sometimes when we have problems we as an active citizenry should get involved in fixing problems. For instance, if I owned a gun store, I would personally make it a requirement and responsibility to make sure all my customers knew how to operate, clean, and properly fire their weapon.

To me it’s just common sense, it’s like when you’re walking in a store, and a guy may be being very mean, disrespectful to someone, and people just turn their heads. I always approach the person like that, and say, “Do WE have a problem here? Same things go for when I’m out at the gun club, and some idiot is pointing their weapon around in every direction but safely away. I approach such a person every time and ask, “Didn’t anyone teach you how to handle your weapon?” Have seen it so many times; guess it’s probably the reason for this post, because it seems I see more and more idiots out on the firing range every week!!!!

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
texas calling in....yes, in 1967 we got box's of 22's at 7-11...one had to be 14 years old ha ha...and they had boxs of shotgun shells stacked to the lights....he he....
now about our rights....my boys here buy guns every week....or they buy two.....and they say if our rights are endangered. not to worry....the streets will fill with guns. i try to make a plan with them....a muster point....but they laugh at me.....
how about this....you'll love this....a new gun store opened last week over by the mckinney police dept....( the one in the national news)....it's name....cheaper than dirt guns...
now you see! that parking lot was crammed full....and it was a big parking lot. more later

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Same things go for when I’m out at the gun club, and some idiot is pointing their weapon around in every direction but safely away. I approach such a person every time and ask, “Didn’t anyone teach you how to handle your weapon?” Have seen it so many times; guess it’s probably the reason for this post, because it seems I see more and more idiots out on the firing range every week!!!!

In nature they have a term for this, it's called natural selection now if you don't interfere, maybe, just maybe, the world would have one less idiot in it.

There are 6.5 billion of us on this miserable mud ball, it's not like we are an endangered species, and honestly, we don't have enough natural predators.

Perhaps you can help this process along a little, next time you see one of these morons being stupid with their piece, let them know that practicing at home is quite enjoyable.

We certainly don't need people that dumb breeding after all.

Another fun thing to do is to give them a T Shirt with a rebel flag on it and tell them about a spiffy new gun club that just opened up in the middle of the ghetto, then let nature take it's course.

I still stand by my stance, that the government shouldn't bother people with their right to own a firearm. The only exception is those that have been convicted of a violent crime should never have a gun again. These people in my opinion have shown that they will harm another person and we don't need to be giving those people guns.

Otherwise if someone wants to play Russian Roulette with a magazine fed pistol who are we to stop them?

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   

There are 6.5 billion of us on this miserable mud ball, it's not like we are an endangered species, and honestly, we don't have enough natural predators.

You do know that being mauled to death and eaten (possibly while still alive) is a horrible experience.

Yet you want it to occur more frequently - that is a sadistic way of thinking.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I would just like to say that no-one knows a crazy phsycho when they see him or her - unless they are actually foaming at the mouth and have crazy red eyeballs, or are ranting about who they want to kill.

So it is not down to the sellers of firearms to work this out.

And although I believe in the right of people to protect themselves with guns, there is a huge grey area here.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

WTF

Are you just looking to start # about Islam?

This isn't even remotely related to the topic.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Wow and I bet you think your a big gun rights supporter...

It's nobodies business if I own a gun and I don't need no government mandated test. Gun accidents are so few compared to cars doctors and a hundred other things that they are negligible and no cause for requiring one to get the governments permission to own a gun.

What part of "shall not be infringed' do you not understand?

Why do people always think some stupid law can prevent someone from being stupid. Cops have required gun training and they have more accidents then concealed carry permit holders as a group.

There is no proof or evidence whatsoever that gun training lowers accidents rates!

People need to mind thier own business and quit thinking they have the right to tell others what to do. If there is no harm being done there is no crime period. Accidents are part of what is called natural selection quit trying to penalize everyone because a few are stupid and can't do things right!

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
I don't think that ANYONE should have a gun. Yeah. I said it., so shoot me.
Really though, just think if it was like in the good old days when you had to fight and go to 'war' using your bare hands. So much more manly. It's simple. No guns, no shooting. "Oh but we must defend ourselves!" Well if the offender had no gun it'd be fair game, right?

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Don't know much about law do ya, champ? That'd be the "well-regulated" part of the 2nd amendment. If you think having a right means the government can't stick its fingers in it, then you're pretty darn ignorant about the way things work.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by MeSoCorny

"Offenders" will have always ability to get guns , you can't forbid people that it is same as prohibition of alcohol and drugs you can't stop it . There will always be opportunities to get those things .

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   

I agree ...

America SHOULD only have

ONE GUN .!

Please pass this law.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye

It's nobodies business if I own a gun and I don't need no government mandated test.

.....Actually, if you want to own a gun it should have to be put to a vote in whatever town or city you are from. Everyone is at risk so everyone should have a vote.

Or a certain number of names must be collected on a petition withing killing range of you and your deagle brand eagle. A certain percentage of the people living in that neighbourhood must agree you owning that implement of death. That would be good too.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Wow and I bet you think your a big gun rights supporter...

Well I support my rights to own weapons and firearms just fine, son. I’m a pretty fine shot too, if I might add. Twenty six years ago, when I graduated Marine Corps boot camp a recruit had to at least frequently hit a target down range 500 meters with a M-16A1, the spec’s for the M16-A1 is a maximum firing range at 460 meters. The Corps had three levels of qualification Marksman, Sharpshooter, and Expert. I qualified as an Expert Rifleman in boot, and maintained that level throughout my service in the Corp. So if you ever want to have a little of , do ya want to put your money where your mouth is, I’d love to take you on with a little friendly competition, I fire my weapons pretty much every week. And even though I’m not as lean but still as mean always a Marine. Oooo-RAH, I think I’ve even gotten just a little better at my firearm proficiency.

It's nobodies business if I own a gun and I don't need no government mandated test. Gun accidents are so few compared to cars doctors and a hundred other things that they are negligible and no cause for requiring one to get the governments permission to own a gun.
What part of "shall not be infringed' do you not understand?

Well maybe you didn’t read all my posts, but you see I agree. The thing is I am also a realist; we have and will have, gun laws. Thing is, I am not asking to ADD any more stupid laws, I want to reform and elimiante the existing laws, make it simple, easy, and common sense based. Maybe just one paragraph, and revoke all the other tons of governmental taxing, regulations, and other requirements. Now doesn’t that make a little sense to you?

There is no proof or evidence whatsoever that gun training lowers accidents rates!

Being a proficient researcher I am sure, there is tons of data which supports either side of that statement. But I can relate some pragmatic wisdom. When I was a youngster growing up in the 70s, while they taught gun education and safety classes in school, and most boys were considered ‘sissys’ if they didn’t know or ever fire a weapon, well we didn’t have kids in schools blasting away at their teachers or classmates. So I don’t know maybe ya right, but is seems to me ever since they kicked gun education and safety courses out of schools, YMCA youth clubs, Boy Scouts etcetera; seems like there are a whole lots of more problems, don’t ya think?

People need to mind their own business and quit thinking they have the right to tell others what to do…quit trying to penalize everyone because a few are stupid and can't do things right!

Actually I think people need to start getting involved and become part of an active citizenry. Listen carefully I’m not trying to tell you nothing but that it was slightly criminal in my opinion when they forced gun education and safety courses out of the traditional mainstream culture of America, pretty much right after that moron tried to shoot Reagan. Now we have a whole generation of people younger than me who own weaponry, while not knowing a dang thing about the weapons they own! So if you still think I’m trying to penalize you by wanting to reform and eliminate all the stupid gun laws which have been enacted over the last 30 years, while wanting to just make it simple with a focus on gun safety and education. I have only one question to ask you: What kind of gun rights supporter are you then??

[edit on 25-8-2010 by AmosGraber]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

In nature they have a term for this, it's called natural selection now if you don't interfere, maybe, just maybe, the world would have one less idiot in it.

If only I had a little less conscience, I would love that! At heart, I am a utopian anarchist, I love the idea of eliminating all laws, while letting natural selection just play out, oh but one can dream, sadly though reality always smacks me back down to earth, and the realistic logical side kicks in.

Another fun thing to do is to give them a T Shirt with a rebel flag on it and tell them about a spiffy new gun club that just opened up in the middle of the ghetto, then let nature take it's course.

HA!!, I about fell out of my chair laughing when I read that, but as a reply, just refer to my above statement, and boy ya kind of a mean fellow aren’t ya?

I still stand by my stance, that the government shouldn't bother people with their right to own a firearm. The only exception is those that have been convicted of a violent crime should never have a gun again

This is true, but we don’t live in that world do we? We do live in a world where they have enacted an endless amount of gun laws, even though the majority of the citizenry believes to not mess around with the 2nd amendment. So really tell me; what is so dang wrong with reforming and or eliminating all those stupid laws we now have, and just purely make it simple, I know so many in this thread have responded, for example:

Originally posted by QuaghtI'm pretty OK with one gun law: A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

And I’m ok and understand all that, but let the realist in me come out once again, THE RUG HAS BEEN PULLED OUT FROM UNDER OUR SECOND AMMENDMENT RIGHTS, while we all hold this amendment dearly to our hearts, our governments, local, state, and federal, has enacted tons of gun legislation right before our very eyes, so really is there anything wrong with wanting to reform or eliminate most gun laws leaving a focus on gun education and safety??

And let me try to add just a little sadistic sarcasm as you have previously…
If we don’t allow convicted felons of violent crimes to have firearms, doesn’t that eliminate a whole bunch of those natural predators, which you were calling for an increase of?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join