It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America needs only one gun law

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I have always thought we only need one gun law. I believe it should parallel the same requirement the USMC put on me to shoot an M-16. To own a fire arm you should be able to demonstrate you know how to take it apart, clean it, and should have to qualify on a firing range, while not being a convicted felon. Ironically this law does not exist in any gun laws. Probably the reason why people have so many accidents with fire arms every year. In addition, I hate politicians who try to use fear mongering in regards to the second amendment. We as Americans will always have the right to bear arms as long as we have a constitution; so shame on anyone who would believe in any other possibility.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by AmosGraber

So to own a gun you want us to need the government's permission.

So basically you don't like the 2nd amendment.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
one idiot will ruin it for the rest of us. Just because some crack head is a rapist murderer, it follows that every American must jump through hoops to get a permit for a gun, despite the second amendment's right to bear arms. I refuse to live in a society where I am judged alongside the filth and low lifes. The patriots had it right the first time: Independence. None of this legal technicalities crap that can be written and re-written by mindless politicians.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
You aren't serious are you? Please do not read more into what I am saying. To own a fire arm or weapon (gun's is a civilian terminology), I am just saying a person should know how to take it apart and put it back together, they should know how to clean it, and they should be able to qualify on a firing range, if ANYONE can't do a simple task as that, they shouldn't own a weapon. If for example, during a driving test, I drove my car to a gas station and couldn't find where to insert the gas pump, and then afterwerds I drove my car during the driving test through the front of a house, do you think I should be able to have a driver's license?

What I am saying is eliminate all the countless stupid laws, and make it simple, if a person is not smart enough to know how to clean, take apart and put it back together, while being able to qualify with a weapon, then they're probably too stupid to own one in the first place!!

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
That sounds good to me... If you are not a crazy psycopath and you know what you are doing, then it's ok to buy one.

I don't know about US laws but dont you require to pass a test and get a license to own one? Kinda like with cars?

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by aNdReSk

Depends on the state.

Ironically, the states with the highest crime rates ask you to take a test and get a license.

Besides, that Fort Hood lunatic was trained to clean and fire a rifle at least. How well did that work out?

[edit on 18-8-2010 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
i'm sure it would be a good idea to be able to do the same for all my tools, car,
electronic devices and whatnot..but it seems that a safety course and some
common sense and i have gotten by ok.

[edit on 18-8-2010 by p51mustang]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by p51mustang

One good idea they got rid of years ago was gun safety courses in the middle school. I graduated in 83, and I remember everyone had to go home and get their parents to sign a form to return to school. If I remember right probably over 90% of all the kids attended the classes. For that matter the same year we even had boater safety courses....Why the heck were they ever taken out of school???

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   

I'll agree with that one.

Pulling things like the rifle teams and the subject of firearms from the schools only fostered ignorance and bred the mystery for kids.

It boggles the mind how a group of people can simultaneously pull out firearms education from schools because of safety concerns yet force into schools ever younger sexual education to promote safety.

Demonization of the firearm has done no good for anyone.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by aNdReSk
That sounds good to me... If you are not a crazy psycopath and you know what you are doing, then it's ok to buy one.

I don't know about US laws but dont you require to pass a test and get a license to own one? Kinda like with cars?
Cars are 'kinda like a privilege' to drive, as they are not mentioned in the US Constitution. They haven't been added as a right in any amendments to the Constitution either.

The RIGHT to KEEP and BEAR ARMS shall not be infringed? Now that you will find in the Second Amendment to the US Constitution, making it a right, not at all 'kinda like'.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

www.fredoneverything.net...

Fred talkin' about the old days:

"Things were looser then. When I wanted to go shooting, I put my rifle, a nice .22 Marlin with a ten-power Weaver, on my shoulder and walked out the main gate. At the country store outside the gate I’d buy a couple of boxes of long rifles, no questions asked, and away my co-conspirator Rusty and I went to some field or swamp to murder beer cans."

"Today if a kid of fifteen tried it, six squad cars and a SWAT team (in all likelihood literally) would show up with sirens yowling, the kid’s parents would be jailed, the store closed and its proprietors imprisoned, and the kid subjected to compulsory psychiatric examination. Times change."

"Although the entire high school had easy access to fire arms, nobody ever shot anyone."

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Owning a gun is a RIGHT!

It cannot be licensed, it cannot be regulated, it cannot be INFRINGED.

If a person hurts themselves or others due to their idiocy, that is a fundamental rule of nature.

No more talk about licensing, regulating, blah blah blah.

What else is licensed that should have NOTHING to do with government?

Marriage license

You can add to the list if you want, but for me, the 10th amendment states EXACTLY what I think about government sticking their nose into our affairs.

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Nothing in their about for OUR protection. Nothing in their about what is good for the COLLECTIVE.

edit to add-

THERE IS ALREADY ONE LAW-

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

[edit on 18-8-2010 by saltheart foamfollower]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
why do you assume no crazy people are good with firearms? charles whitman seemed to know his way around one.. i'm sure there are plenty of crazy people capable of field stripping an ak-47 and putting a few in a target with it...

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Wow, this is the second post of yours in as many minutes I feel compelled to disagree with.

The flaw in your logic is this: The system of control that you and I were taught under was not compulsory, it was voluntary. The constitution of these united States does not give you one single freedom or liberty. It simply enumerates the liberty you inherently posses by right of being a sentient being. It is law - not to give you rights, but to prevent the government from taking them away.

Being compelled to do anything, in order to exercise you rights, means that it is not in fact a right, but rather a privilege. The constitution is quite clear on whether keeping and baring arms is a right, or a privilege...

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by blood0fheroes

So is it my understanding you would rather keep the current idiotic weapon laws in place? Instead of being in favor of just a simple requirement, that we demand all miltary to pass?...I think the current fire arm laws are insane, is really the thesis of all my above statements. Just pondering why not just make it simple?

[edit on 18-8-2010 by AmosGraber]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   

The current cornucopia of absurd, unconstitutional and often contradictory gun laws is indeed a horrible sham.

you seem to be assuming that every gun-phobic totalitarian out there will just accept your requirement of training and quals as an alternative. That isnt the case. There is no way the likes of the Brady Bunch would just say "okay" and take the compromise.

Besides, there is only one gun law. The 2nd Amendment. All others are bunk.

There is no room for compromise when rights are in play.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Not at all. I think we as a people should act to revoke all gun laws in their entirety, as gun laws only prohibit law abiding citizens - not those intent on committing crime. If someone IS intent on committing a crime, there's not a law in the world or imagination that would prevent them.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   

There is a diffrence between owning a firearm (arms) than owning and driving a car. Owning a Firearm is a Right, owning a car is a privilege. The reason that they military teaches basic markmanship is to make sure you can handle your weapon and hit your target without killing your own men. Understanding how to clean and operate your weapon is much like the weakest link. There should not be any restrictive requirement to own any weapon or arms. If someone does not practice safe weapon (gun) ownership then there are penalties for that.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowMaster

Acutally pretty much of all my ideas (knowing how to clean a weapon, knowing how to take it apart and put it back together again, and knowing how to be proficient), do not in my opioion even have to be legislated. If they would just bring gun safety classes back into shcools, in addition to having parents like mine, enroll their children into conservation gun clubs. All the above ideas could be met by no legislation, while still eliminating stupid weapon requirements, for the aforementioned reasons.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Where I live, I can have a CCW and in order to get a license, you are required to take a gun course and prove with documentation.

The following items must be submitted with the application:
(a) A LAW ENFORCEMENT TRAINING FIREARMS SAFETY COURSE;
(b) A FIREARMS SAFETY COURSE OFFERED BY A LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY, AN INSTITUTION OR
ORGANIZATION OR FIREARMS TRAINING SCHOOL, THAT IS OPEN TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC AND IS
TAUGHT BY A CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR; OR
(c) A FIREARMS SAFETY COURSE OR CLASS THAT IS OFFERED AND TAUGHT BY A CERTIFIED
INSTRUCTOR.
www.dcsheriff.net...

I think many states have this in place.

[edit on August 18th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join