It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who here does everyone view as the honest media outlets out there?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
As the title asks, who here does everyone view as as honest media outlets that are currently operational and as an addition, who are the most fair and balanced media sources out there now?

There is alot of chatter as of late about how channel A reaks while channel B distorts the truth while Channel C kisses the butt of TPTB.

I will use the information provided to become better informed. And would request that everyone else do the same.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Heh, well they pin threads by Faal over at GLP. Enough said. Be weary.

What's been working for me is to find at least three sources when possible, and if not possible, file in the "maybe" bin. After that the truth usually surfaces sooner or later.

When it looks iffy, put it in the Skunk Works forum. Other members that have been here a while know what that forum is for, and some of us will actually have an interesting, impartial go at debunking stuff in there through further checking and hopefully, constructive discourse.

Well, that can turn out to be wishful thinking sometimes.
Some members just don't get what that forum is for, including me, anymore.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
ATS.....
Sad but true. i'm not gonna run for the hills every time (insert doomsdayer) says nibru is outside Chattanooga and closing in on Memphis. But there are some here who put up brilliant posts in regards to the crucial stories of the week that are more precise then anything that Fox, the big 3, MSNBC, CNN... Etc

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by TheImmaculateD1

Glen Beck from Fox News

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
wikileaks

nothing else.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeutronAvenger
reply to post by TheImmaculateD1

Glen Beck from Fox News

I had meant no MSM is allowed as it's all corrupt, this include Fox, MSNBC,
CNN, ABC, CBS.

[edit on 18-8-2010 by TheImmaculateD1]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Antiwar.com They are funded by pledge drives, and have content from multiple news sources. But then, as they link stuff in it is subject to bias from it's orignal source. However they do have their own writing team who publish pieces too and these are usually a good read.

antiwar.com...

[edit on 18-8-2010 by Big Raging Loner]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Any MSM is mind control. It does not matter what network. Some networks are geared to control the so called liberal and other networks target the so called conservative. It is plain old divide and conquer. Do you really require a talking head to tell you what to think?
Glen Beck is a shill. I can't believe that some people can see through the fake tears.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Out of all the news that i can get on the mainstream, i like Russia Today or RT. It seems to give a better picture of what news is available, and being Russian it doesnt hold back on a lot when it comes to the gritty stuff. A regular slot of the Keiser report also helps.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
It's been said that NO one in media with any kind of meaningful audience isn't controlled at least in some way, some more than others.

Most of the news we here comes from the "news wires" and how hard is that to control really?

Frankly, I prefer reading articles from several sources, then reading the comments from a few people that actually know something about it is far more valuable than the stories themselves half the time.

MSM is simple. Republican Administration: ABC, MSNBC and the other left leaning outlets will "appear" to produce harder news and be more critical. Democratic Administration: as hard as it is to say, Fox will offer "harder" news.

These cheerleading bobbleheads are here to keep you distracted, provoke emotion and sell chemicals in between.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I read Drudge Report and Huffington Post. The former has a conservative slant, the latter has a liberal slant. If they're both covering a story, I figure the truth is somewhere in the middle of what they each reported. Sometimes I read the Daily Beast. TV-wise, the first ten minutes of the Daily Show or the Colbert Report will typically suffice.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I might get flamed for saying this but hear goes.

I trust most media outlets, I use BBC, Al-Jazeera, CNN, FOX, RT, France24, and so on. I have got quite good a filtering the information, but using multiple news outlets i think its possible to gain a balanced informed and accurate narrative and opinion on a particular event.

I don’t believe in any MSN conspiracy.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
National Public Radio (NPR) NPR.org

Not perfect, but they don't run on advertising dollars and you would be shocked at the difference it makes when ratings don't matter.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
If I see it with my own 2 eyes I deem it reliable and trustworthy.

Every other outlet comes at an event with their respective agenda.

Becker

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
NPR. BBC, SkyNews and Link TV.

As you seem to know, ANY popular news show on network or cable TV is there for your enjoyment, entertainment, and to manipulate you. When I was watching TV, I watched a little from FOX, MSNBC and CNN, but I watched it knowing that they were lying to me. I can't believe anyone trusts them. I listened to Rush Limbaugh, too, but can't stomach him anymore.

Now, I just see what's going on on ATS and then look around on the Internet to get both sides. Only then can I determine what is most likely the truth.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
It's almost a full time job trying to stay informed, while learning how to spot the disinformation that you need to filter out. I've found that there are many sources out there, even a couple in the mainstream, that do a great job not only reporting the news, but adding much needed context as well. No one place is good for all kinds of news. For example, the places to go for solid economic news are not usually the best places for news about human rights. To be fully informed, you need a variety of sources that tend to have strengths in certain areas. Another very important factor in getting an informed view on the news of the day are sites/blogs that have intelligent and well informed replies that will add to the topic in meaningful ways. The comment sections of certain sites I've found are invaluable tools to point you towards other good sites and useful information. I'll make a list here of some of the best sources I've found for news. A lot of them tend to lean towards populist progressive and libertarian viewpoints, as these two schools of political thought are currently cut out of our power structure in the US. ie: they tend to speak out against TPTB, and are not in a corporation's back pocket (with a couple of exceptions). I hope this list helps.

For national and international news, it's best to stick with a number of international organizations and independent US sources. Keep in mind that each of these sources may also have a skewed point of view on certain issues, so again, multiple sources are suggested.

VIDEO/TV COVERAGE
Al Jazeera English, Russia Today, Press TV, France 24, BBC, Democracy Now, The Real News Network, ICN on You Tube, Free Speech TV, Frontline on PBS, and GRITtv are all good sites/channels that have video reportage, and most have good news sites as well.

ECONOMICS--I'm no economist, but since money/control of resources is the main driver of geo-politics, it's important to at least try and learn some basics. I've learned a TON from these two blogs, and the comment sections contain a wealth of information. Very intelligent readership on both sites.

Naked Capitalism--the stories are well researched, and I can spend hours in the comment sections.

Zero Hedge-- This is a blog for industry insiders, and the stories can get VERY technical. Don't let that scare you away--the posters here are cut from the same cloth as many from ATS, Alex Jones, etc. You will gain valuable insight reading comments here, and usually get a good laugh as well.These are smart people with a sense of humor, often with information that doesn't always hit the mainstream. I go here several times daily.

COLUMNISTS--a few journalists from various sources that I read daily or however often they publish.

Glenn Greenwald from Salon.com--I guess you can say he's a progressive constitutionalist. He's a constitutional lawyer, and may be the smartest journalist out there today. Very well researched, always posts his sources, and holds people's feet to the fire, be they left, right, or other.

Jeremy Scahill from The Nation--knows more about our adventures in the middle east than most. Wrote a book about Blackwater. He knows his stuff.

I also like Greg Palast, Seymour Hersch, Juan Gonzales, Matt Tiabbi, Amy Goodman, and digby from Hullabaloo, Mac McClelland from Mother Jones, among others.

OTHER NEWS/OPINION SITES--

GlobalResearch.ca
The Daily Bell
LewRockwell.com
Cato Unbound
Veterans Today.com
The BRAD Blog
The Oil Drum
Antiwar.com

ALTERNATE VIEWS (omg it's a conspiracy) -- Funny how stories from these sites are hitting the mainstream more and more. Be cautious however, as misinfo and disinfo can be found here along with the ugly truth. (much like mainstream media)

ATS
Infowars.com
Coast to Coast AM
Dprogram.net
Cutting Thru the Matrix (love it)
Wayne Madsen Report

This list is by no means complete, but I've found these sources to be pretty solid and informative overall. Enjoy!

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I would say ATS. ATS gets news before it’s reported. You can’t beat first had accounts from ATS members. Then we watch the MSM to see how twisted it comes out with a dash of Twitter drama.

I must say though when the BP gusher happened there was a report linked to a fishing blog posted on ATS and no place else other than the fishing-blog; with a firsthand account eye witness to include photos and film before the platform sunk in the dark. The story gave me the creeps i.e. “The smell of methane and seeing glowing red hot steel" Then Fox news pick it up from ATS and the fishing blog. Then ran with the story like they were the first. The guy fishing under the platform from fishing blog and ATS members get the true credit. The guy had to get a lawyer from the fishing blog because he was going to be questioned by HLS. I hope Fox News paid for the lawyer.

On this matter of legal issues. I think ATS should put aside a small fund for stories that are reported like the one above( Not member quotes but reporting a story) in case some legal issue comes up. ATS is getting big and it needs some sort of legal fund to protect its true members and itself from harm. ATS is now be quoted by national radio syndicated shows and some MSM outlets. ATS should put the cash up for a defense fund like any other news origination; because that what ATS is becoming it a very different roundabout way with members reporting.

There are other sources out there you just have to look hard but there out there. Every now and then ATS hits a home run which seems like alot latley.

[edit on 29-8-2010 by SJE98]

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
No medium is altogether true.

There are the facts, and then someone embroiders the facts, and someone else, and someone else...

So, never trust the media fully.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Amy Goodman of Democracy Now

But its best to always be on ones guard and not follow an `outlet` .. as such.

[edit on 30-8-2010 by UmbraSumus]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
there isnt a 100% true media source.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join