It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IMPORTANT! Regarding the recent 4chan zip file thread

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

I am not understanding this. You cracked a password for a zipfile and all you got was this little text file? And your computer got infected?

What was the size of this zipfile?

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

The zip file was 150 bytes, the bare minimum for an archive with a password and the actual txt file is 16 bytes.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by havenvideo

So in other words the file isn't a threat. It's just a coincidence?

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

Considering I just tested it myself, I'm assuming yes. Though the password I used didn't have any special characters like OP said, it still worked and showed the same text. But it did nothing.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by havenvideo

Well thanks for doing it yourself, I did say that I have never known a virus attach itself to a text file, it was just odd that my PC screwed up directly after opening it.

I wasn't trolling, I was being cautious, after all if the file was infected, other ATS'ers may have fallen fowl of it.

As for your question as to how I still had the file, I did say earlier it was on a USB stick, I always save documents to one in case something bad happens

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Ah ok must've missed that. Well you might wanna look into another reason your computer failed you. From what you described, it sounded more like a hardware problem.

You said that you were bruteforcing the password. That's a lot of stress on your computer. You *probably* fried something. That's my best guess.

ETA: Thinking about it, and seeing as your computer seems to be working again, I'm pretty sure that's what happened. You overheated your CPU to the point of temporary failure. The keys getting stuck if definitely a sign of that.

[edit on 18-8-2010 by havenvideo]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by GoodFella
To quote 4chan

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

When someone there tells you to download something, don't do it!
Also you can delete your system32 folder to make your computer go faster.

Yeahahaha

You know there was a virus I came across that did exactly that. It was soooo cool in its design. It was attached to the .exe of unlocker. It actually used unlocker to unlock the files that were in active memory before deleting system 32.

Still not a huge problem to sort out, but a bloody pain in the ass.

Korg.

[edit on 18-8-2010 by Korg Trinity]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
why would you try to crack anything without any meaning or purpose?

lets be real, you kind of deserved what you got ...

if you are looking for something illegal or to do something like that, and you get some virus, you cant complain ...

most people that get virus get because they were doing something out of the normal pattern of usage of the internet ...

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
This thread isn't Board Business and Questions.

Staff is reviewing the request to have the thread remain open and the dicsussion to continue.

Until that decision is made this thread is closed.

Please stand by.

Thanks,

top topics

<< 1   >>

join