It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School District Demanding to Enter My Home!!!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

Originally posted by babybunnies
...No just cause for concern - sue the PANTS off the school district for unnecessary harrassment, and attempted illegal entry and search of property...

But, again, I wonder if it is actually attempted illegal entry.

From what I gather from the OP, the school wants in to verify that the boy is eligible to play football. If the boy does not ask to play football, then they won't ask to verify his residency.

Proof of residency supplied by the parents would be enough for most school districts. There is no need to enter the home to proove this.

If a search of the home was a requirement for proof of eligibility to play football, then this should have been clearly listed on the release form that this kids' parents would have had to sign in order to let him play. In which case, by signing the form, the parent was consenting to the search.

No requirement listed on the autorization form, no entry. Period.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies

Actually, public schooling IS a right up to age 18. Even children of illegal immigrants have the right to go to school which is one of the big problems with illegal immigration. In many states it's not only a RIGHT, it's a LEGAL REQUIREMENT to be in school at least to a certain age...

However, playing football is not a right.
The reason for wanting to verify his residency is because of football.

I'm not saying the school district is acting the way they should act -- I think BOTH sides here are at fault and BOTH should take a step back, take a deep breath, then solve this in a civil matter.

However, lets not forget what this thread is about -- it's NOT about a school willy-nilly beating a door down demanding entry at the threat of further legal action. It's about a school who wants to verify that a boy who wants the PRIVILEGE to participate in an extracurricular activity (one which the school does NOT need to offer) is following all of the rules.

If the OP is being accurate and not exaggerating, I say both sides need to be a bit less combative about this.

[edit on 8/18/2010 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People
However, playing football is not a right.

It's a school activity, overseen by the board of education.

Everything that a school does is a right for all students to participate in without unlawful search.

[edit on 18-8-2010 by mryanbrown]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
It's time for an attorney. We the People need to start pushing back.

Originally posted by lostviking
Dear ATS Friends-

My School District is demanding that I allow them into my home to verify that my children do indeed live in my residence!!! For the past week, I have awoken to loud knocking at my door. The first time I answered, and they asked if my children were at home. I told them 'no' and shut the door. The second time I refused to answer the door.

Because I refuse to accomodate the school district by allowing them into my home, my son is not allowed to set foot on the school grounds, and is missing football practice. A home visit consists of school representatives going through the refrigerator to determine if there are foods appropriate to teens (we eat healthy so there would be very little junk food), and they believe it is their right to examine closets and drawers to ensure items belong to my child!!!!!!

I called the school district and told them that they have every right to conduct surveillance on my home to determine who lives here, from the street. I told them that if they continue to pound on my door every morning, that I would not answer, and that I would be calling the Sheriff to remove them from my property. I also told them that I would file harassment and trespassing charges. The school administrator told me the Sheriff would do no such thing.

I REFUSE to allow anyone into my home that I am uncomfortable with. In addition, I informed the school district that without a search warrant they would not be entering my home.

They didn't show up today. However, although I have provided a lease, electric bills and insurance bills per their policy, they are REFUSING to allow my son to participate in football practice. This is hurting his placement on the team, but I will not be bullied into opening up the one place I consider my sanctuary.

Anyone know what my rights are???/ This all happened because I took one school's star football player to another district due to a move. Thank you for any advice. I am lit!

[edit on 17-8-2010 by lostviking]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by mryanbrown
...Everything that a school does is a right for all students to participate in without unlawful search.

I don't know if that's true. Is that a passage taken from some law?

If that is quoted from a law, then I suppose I would need the definition of "unlawful search".

I know that I needed to take a full physical exam before I was allowed to participate in school sports. If I refused to "let the doctor touch me", which would be my right to do, I suppose the school would have the right to refuse to let me participate in sports.

I'm not saying the the school necessarily handled this 100% correctly -- I don't know because I only have part of the story. However, the school DOES have a right (and, in fact they have the OBLIGATION )to verify that the kids participating in sports are all following the rules of eligibility.

Now -- the methods they use to determine that eligibility is the question here.

I say they "have the OBLIGATION" because of something that happened near me. There was a school who always had a very good football team and a really good coach -- a school whose players traditionally receive many football scholarships.

There was a student who did NOT live in the district, but whose father owned some property there. They listed the students residency as one of those properties even though he did not live there.

When this was discovered by the people running the state athletics, the school was forced to retroactively forfeit all games that the student played in. The school pleaded their case saying that they "didn't know the kid lied about his residency", but the state did not accept this excuse because the school "should have known".

[edit on 8/18/2010 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
OP, what bothers me the most about your story and yes, I do think it is just a story as you are not telling the whole truth, is that your main problem is he will not be able to play football. You mentioned he cannot step foot on school grounds, seems like your biggest issue should be making sure is ass is in behind a desk come the first day of school.

They came early in the morning because that is the best chance they have of actually seeing your son there. They "pounded" because often people are asleep in the morning. What would have been the problem closing the door, waking up Little Johnny and having him come all sleepy eyed and in his PJs to the door?

Seriously, what are you hiding?

I agree, they do not need to be checking your fridge. But Because in America we have a problem with people abusing our public school system, there is precedent to make sure your son lives there, especially because this is, as muzzelflash stated, a football politics issue.

Odds are you had to sign something saying they have a right to verify that the student resides at the residence on their registration papers. The only way to be as close to 100% sure as they possibly can is to show up and see little Johnny chillin' in his bedroom and open his closet to see HIS clothes in there. But I think you are being dishonest with them, and they would find you out if that happened. Either that or you have something illegal going on.

You are out of line as I see it. Your number one concern needs to be making sure your son is in a classroom when school starts. As a good parent, you need to make sure it happens. If you REALLY feel like your rights are being violated, you document everything that happens and get legal counsel to see if you have a case.

YOU DO NOT SACRIFICE YOUR CHILD'S EDUCATION. That is what you are doing right now. I really hope you have a change of heart.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustJoe
reply to post by felonius

What on earth are you babbling about...the OP made no mention of anything you shared. Nothing about color or good schools and bad schools. Learn to read for comprehension, not validation.

The point was, all schools these days arent bad...

Public education has (for the most part) went straight to hell. There are a few bright lights where common sense education is still going on...and they dont beat on your door or ask for your papers.

There is still hope for public schools.

Oh, and joe, one more point. dont be an ass.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Law is meaningless when it's to the aid of government and not the privacy of individuals.

Education is a right. - The Law

Tax payer dollars meant for EDUCATION fund extracurricular activities. Which are overseen by the Board of Education.

If extracurricular activities overseen by the Board of Education are not a right, then they shouldn't be financed as such.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starbug3MY
reply to post by lostviking

The feds are moving very fast to change everything they can, and have government employees intruding on Private Property while they can do so more smoothly. The alarms are going off! We have to unite under our States to fight this! This is not our America! We need to mobilize the citizenry.

That's it exactly: while they still can~smoothly. That same light went off in my head when evaluating similar maneuvers, such as 'dust control', acted out by the EPA...while they still can, if you will, because there are stages and lower levels to all sthf scenarios. It is also 'job creation' in motion. They steal in order to fund things, that steal things even more valued than mere money-in this case, privacy, rights, everything.

I am speechless OP but I always expect this sort of thing. Yeah-buy a lawyer letter, pay their little tribute-lawyers are always involved in this stuff from the start. Or: Consider home school. Your kids knees will last till old age and he'll be smarter. Sit down and explain the options with the boy. Are you intelligent enough for this? It's probably a lot of work, or a difficult, but important, path to get along on. If the kid's bright he may benefit from it and perhaps even set a proper course with minimal guidance. It's only 4-8 yrs? By then the feds will have college all locked up with forced vaccines etc... Your kid will be on to them, of course, so spread awareness along the way. Maybe get a telescreen invite to defend the wacky way you raised your kid.

It sounds like a nightmare. Just opening the door and hearing them flaunt powers must be unbearable. Thanks for sharing. There are some things obama deserves credit for, this is one of them!

[edit on 18-8-2010 by davidmann]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamsupermanv2
OP, what bothers me the most about your story and yes, I do think it is just a story as you are not telling the whole truth, is that your main problem is he will not be able to play football. You mentioned he cannot step foot on school grounds, seems like your biggest issue should be making sure is ass is in behind a desk come the first day of school.

They came early in the morning because that is the best chance they have of actually seeing your son there. They "pounded" because often people are asleep in the morning. What would have been the problem closing the door, waking up Little Johnny and having him come all sleepy eyed and in his PJs to the door?

Seriously, what are you hiding?

I agree, they do not need to be checking your fridge. But Because in America we have a problem with people abusing our public school system, there is precedent to make sure your son lives there, especially because this is, as muzzelflash stated, a football politics issue.

Odds are you had to sign something saying they have a right to verify that the student resides at the residence on their registration papers. The only way to be as close to 100% sure as they possibly can is to show up and see little Johnny chillin' in his bedroom and open his closet to see HIS clothes in there. But I think you are being dishonest with them, and they would find you out if that happened. Either that or you have something illegal going on.

You are out of line as I see it. Your number one concern needs to be making sure your son is in a classroom when school starts. As a good parent, you need to make sure it happens. If you REALLY feel like your rights are being violated, you document everything that happens and get legal counsel to see if you have a case.

YOU DO NOT SACRIFICE YOUR CHILD'S EDUCATION. That is what you are doing right now. I really hope you have a change of heart.

Dont take this as a flame but, Sorry. You're willing to give up entirely too much control and freedom for me.

The school in your neighborhood is getting your tax money. Since YOU are the one paying, you should call the tune and THEY should STFU. If the nearby school is crap, leave. The school should figure out there is an issue when its nearly empty.

As I said previously, if they go Gestapo on me in the morning and it may be their last morning they'll be able to do so.

We had a reason to leave our local schools.

My local school decided to gerimander the school areas. They worked it so that mostly black or mexican kids with lower grades went to one school (the one we already had issues with teachers, staff, and students) and the kids who lived on the "other side" had better grades (ethnicity was more in line with the town of 33% across the board). The school board did this to make the numbers for testing look better.

Didnt work I understand. This year, ALL of these schools are under receivership.

We live about middle of the two schools. two blocks from the "good" school and 5 from the "other" school. To get our kid into the school that was marginally better (and with her friends) we used our relatives info and some creative explanations.

IF this is a bad thing, screw'em. Both schools get my tax money.

Dont have to worry about it anyway now. She's out of the local system entirely.

A large part of the problem is FEAR of discipline. This town (I guess) is so afraid of a race riot, its almost funny. Any time a minority (black usually) does something (including MURDER!!!), it gets "handled".

The mexican community really doesnt cause too much of an issue.

A famous black actor was raised in this town. he's done little or nothing for it (asides from an occasional "shout out" or a pep rally). The city council had a choice of spending money for firefighters training or a statue to him.

Guess who won? Wasn't the firemen!

FWI, about 200 kids have applied for out of area schools.

As for questioning "illegal" conduct on the OP, what is your basis for the accusation? Thats getting real close to out of line friend. The school is the one being an ass and using the kid as leverage. Last I heard, you cant deny a kid education short of a major discipline issue.

Big gubment swingin its big stick again.

Hell, OP. If you have the kid at home, take advantage of it. Home school!

[edit on 18/8/10 by felonius]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by lostviking

My first thought was, where are you located? I found another post that says your in Florida? That you are looking to purchase two hundred acres of land elsewhere? You make a good living to consider that kind of acreage. Spend it on your child and send him to a good school perhaps? Florida is one of the cheapest places in the country to live. I've priced it in Florida and for what a house costs here you can buy two equal houses in Florida.

As to the other, retain an attorney to represent your child and you. Follow their advice. Don't get legal advice on the Internet. That's just asking for wrong answers and BAD advice. Your talking about your child here. You might get advice on how to repair a car on the Internet, but legal matters regarding your child?

Consultations are generally free and if you don't have a legal leg to stand on, a competent attorney will tell you so up front and not take your money anyway.

I've never heard of a school wanting to search a home before. Any other cases you can point to that might help you know what your rights are? Sounds like CPS rather than the school? Do you have joint custody?

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

*noted, but dude you went the loooong way around to say not all schools are bad, no?

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

They are not using authority to get into someone's home. They requested to see the child. OP said the child wasn't present. They asked if there was some kind of physical evidence to see if the child actually lived there since he wasn't present. They did not bust down the door or use a tank to rip the wall off. All they wanted to do is see with their own two eyes that the child resides there. No drama or parenoia necessary. No rights are being violated.

Paperwork only proves that the parent lives at the residence not that the child lives with the parent.

OP and 65% of the posters are blowing this out of proportion. No, education is not an entitlement. It is delivered by the people helping to raise the child. Just as it had been done before schools. Schools were created to assist parents and family to educate the child and were not originally intended to replace parents.

Ever heard the saying, "It takes a village..."?

The schools have now to a large extent replaced parents and completely of the people's own accord.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
This must be another religious nut case trying to protect the kid from the

"indoctrination" that takes place at "skewls" ( why the intentional mispelling ?).

This is a very fishy story, OP probably already drowned the kid and shot

himself, hoping to enter heaven ...

(english is not my native language so bite me grammar nazis.)

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

Yes it's probably under the same authority as CPS, and it's legal. And the sheriff will almost surely cooperate with them.

It's reasonable for you to ask for a warrant, but then they don't have to get one. They can just deny your child access to school. (In the case of CPS it's worse, they can remove the child from the home. At least you don't have to worry about that here.)

It is reasonable to verify that the child lives in the school district. Otherwise the taxpayers of that district would not want to pay to provide the child's education. Remember that school funding doesn't come from the sky, it comes from local property taxes.

And if your child doesn't make the football team because of this, someone else's child will. The taxpayers in the district don't want to lose opportunities for their own kids, to other kids who don't live in the district.

So if I were you, I would allow them in or in some other sufficient way prove that my kids lived in the district. Otherwise they won't have a school to attend next month.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   

No flames felt here friend.

I could be out of line insinuating something illegal is going on, but I really am of the same thinking as the other poster who said their parents would have invited them in and offered them some tea. When you have nothing to hide you don't mind being checked out.

I really don't think this is a rights violation.

This parents number one concern needs to be her child's education. Judging by how they are more concerned about him being on a football field then behind a desk, he must be insanely good, and the parents are missing a few screws.
There should be no problem letting the school officials check it out. If anyone feels they are being violated by this they need to document and seek council afterwards.

And not so Little Johnny can throw around the pigskin, but so he can get his education. That needs to be the issue here, not football. Not a parent who can't let go of their pride.

Let me finish with this: I am not one of those bend over backwards for authority people. I was at a party a few years back where the cops illegally came in and gave them all kinds of crap for it to their face. I told them they knew they were in the wrong, and one of the rookies with them suggested to his co worker that maybe they should leave, that I seem to know what I'm talking about. I think I saved my friends who place it was some major trouble.

Even if legally they have no right to do what they are trying to do, for their son's future, they should cooperate and seek council.

I still think either this whole story is a lie, or we are not told the whole truth. There should have been no problem dragging Little Johnny out of bed all sleepy eyed to prove he lives there. That would have been enough if I was the official.

If it's 5 minutes of my freedom for my child's education, I would reluctantly give it up. But take the actions I suggested afterwards

[edit on 8/18/2010 by iamsupermanv2]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Cole DeSteele

I disagree with you. What you call pride others call rights and have giving and taking blood for them.

It is true that she could stop this with a simple look around. But at what cost?

I would call the local news they love to get in on things like this. Then i would call the police and then a lawyer.

All wile they are banging on the door that is and i would video them demanding to enter as well as keep track of everything times,dates,names.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by GunzCoty

Yeah it would go on the news as a local family that was trying to put a kid in the school who didn't live in the district.

The taxpayers would be on the districts's side. They pay for it.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Are you from Texas? Only state I know of thats that into high school football that they will harras a home owner for moving. Sad. I'm sorry you have to experience this.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeventhSeal
How about you actually be fair to your kids. Cooperate with the school district and all will be fine.

It's disgusting what parents do to their kids these days. What you're doing is abusive to them, nothing more.

Good luck.

Ok let me get this straight.

It is abusive to NOT let someone you never met come through your fridge and closet?

But its NOT Abusive to let them go get beat up/injured on the football field?

What kind of backwards logic is this? Seriously?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join