It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you think ireland should get its full independence

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Ireland is fully independent. So I'm not sure quite what you're asking here. Maybe listening to a few too many Black 47 songs?

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

tell you what, put all the irish that were forced by immigration back for a day and vote...

ohhh vote we cant do that...
if the protestants want protestant british rule why not move back to where they can have it?
Leave Ireland to the Irish

PS
in case you didn't know Huegenot was protestant Irish...

[edit on 25-8-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProdigalSon
I can safely assume that the Dublin-based oppression is the Brit oppression in disguise.

In that case, where would be the point in switching from one to the other?

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Is it just me or is Protestant vs. Catholic like, the stupidest possible religious conflict? I mean, really.

"Strawberry jelly!"
"No, Strawberry jam!"
"Strawberry jelly!"
"No, Strawberry jam!"
"Strawberry jelly!"
"No, Strawberry jam!"

All this about a dead jewish guy who would be absolutely horrified to see a bunch of Gentiles shooting at each other over a cracker that they believe he is embodied in (or not)

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
if the protestants want protestant british rule why not move back to where they can have it?
Leave Ireland to the Irish

Your argument is strictly analogous to the suggestion that the English-speaking populations of Arizona and California should move back east where they came from so that those areas should be given back to Mexico.

As soon as you have persuaded the people of the United States to adopt that policy, I guarantee that the British government will follow suit.

[edit on 25-8-2010 by DISRAELI]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

that is my point, its just divide and conquer
second line

Ps in Canad they used french / english to distract us and then slip in the globalist agenda..its what ever will work with them...
the peeps just want to get on with life,,,,

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   

There's really no need for 'em to move back east. It's taken about a hundred years, but we're starting to absorb them. Pretty soon we'll have them looking more like people than like decayed sea-life. Hell, they'll even be speaking a language that makes sense, instead of this garbled mess of central European garble they call "English." Maybe we'll even teach 'em how to pull that fist-thick tree branch out of their butts.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I am amazed at the level of ignorance shown here.
Don't people try to learn some basic facts before posting.

At least some sense from you Dermo.

The Republic Of Ireland is a free, independant republic with it's own laws, own Head Of State, own judicial system and judiciary etc.

en.wikipedia.org...

Northern Ireland is a seperate country to The Republic and is part of The United Kingdom.
The vast majority of residents in Northern Ireland wish to remain part of The U.K.

After years of The Troubles Northern Ireland is beginning to move forward.
Various Nationalist grievances have been addressed and the people from both sides are trying to put aside past differences in an effort to move forward and are determined to maintain the peace.

Northern Ireland, like Scotlad and Wales, has a certain amount of self-government with it's own elected House at Stormont.

The vast majority of Irish people, both from The Republic and Ulster just want to get on with their lives free fromthe bigotry and hatred that has blighted their past.
The uninformed and ignorant and those who just want to pursue their own misconstrued grievances do nothing to enable this!

[edit on 25/8/10 by Freeborn]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Yeah. Thing is, you run into a lot of Irish-Americans who are trying so damn hard to be more Irish than the Irish, and are romanticizing the whole damn thing. It's my understanding that Irish-Americans who visit Ireland tend to get punched in the face.

Not that anyone who goes to Ireland doesn't get punched in the face, I hear that's the county's version of a handshake.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Huguenot's were not Irish Protestants, they were French Protestants who were being discrimnated and slaughtered in France!
Many were given sanctuary and refuge by those evil English who allowed them to live and worship free from the discrimination they faced on the continent!

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

You are not far wrong there!

The Irish people I know, and I know quite a few, find the whole idea of Irish-Americanism a complete joke and see them as a means to make money and the butt of many jokes.

Unfortunately they funded the bigotry and terrorism for years and as a result there is much resentment felt for them.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Mexico/ the spanish had a few missions there spread out through the whole territory, at best their claim to ownership is totaly lame.
Why not give it back to the original inhabitants' decendants who lost it through violated treaties? and government swindles on their trusts.

It is not the same as Ireland.

Most of the original population of Ireland was not wiped out and the remander put on reservations where independant survival is almost impossible.
They say 60 million died in the Americas as a result of the white mans' arrival

Ireland has every right to settle its issues like men, all the violence just serves to prevent that.
Its prime purpose is to divide and conqure, so the Irish don't work it out for them selves...Cecil Rhoade's prime tactic in Africa, as it has been where ever the British wished to plunder...and even the British were only proxies for the power behind the throne. the bankers

Look at the state of Britain now that their purpose has been mostly served...a recent poll was suggesting that upwards of three quaters would leave if they had a place to go...

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

Huguenot's were not Irish Protestants, they were French Protestants who were being discrimnated and slaughtered in France!
Many were given sanctuary and refuge by those evil English who allowed them to live and worship free from the discrimination they faced on the continent!

guess where they went to when they left france...which was my point about the british controlling immigration into Ireland for imperialist sakes while forcing the emmigration of catholics
which is a large part of the roots of the whole conflict today

after many generations my name sake left Ireland for Canada in the british Navy
Quebec is full of Irish immigrants...catholicized though for the most part by now

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

You hit the nail on the head, my friend.

I'm always weary of threads pertaining to the ''island of Ireland'', because people are largely misinformed, or lacking knowledge, on the whole issue.

While ideally ( as a non-Irishman ) I'd like Ireland to be unified, it just can't happen until a large majority in Northern Ireland actually want it.

As you say, both the ROI and UK are members of the EU, and if truth be told, there is actually very little practical differences between our two great countries.

The issue is only one of pride and national identity.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Hottest girl I ever dated apparently helped make bombs for the IRA.

I like my redheads to have questionable morals, so it worked out.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Predominantly England, Switzerland and Holland!

But according to your theory of re-patronisation they should all return to France, or is that only to be applied in accordance with your prejudices?

The majority of Irish protestants are of Scottish descent, but there is a very long history of Irish - Scottish cross settlement.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
What right does Britain have to rule anything?
second line

Britain has a right to rule any territory, whose subjects want to belong to Britain.

Northern Ireland, IOM, Channel Islands, Gibraltar, Falkland Islands, Bermuda, Cayman Islands, British Virgin Islands, and many other territories choose to be ruled by Britain.

Besides, I don't see you lot in a hurry to overthrow the British rule of your country, via Queen Elizabeth II...

[edit on 25-8-2010 by Sherlock Holmes]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

Predominantly England, Switzerland and Holland!

But according to your theory of re-patronisation they should all return to France, or is that only to be applied in accordance with your prejudices?

The majority of Irish protestants are of Scottish descent, but there is a very long history of Irish - Scottish cross settlement.

you make my point
the protestantism is imported
where ever the british have ruled you see the same pattern.

as far as my predjudice...how about the people who live where ever they live deciding for them selves like grown ups...we are living in today.

no, you can't have that

noooo you get regime change, or the Kennedy assaination, or the open boarders and 30 million illegal immigrants,,,or a bomb in a shopping mall.
or a mosque at the WTC..

If you haven't figured it out from my thousand posts on the subject, I'm predjudiced against Globalists and their eugenics...and I figure people should have the nads to work things out for them selves.., though while the globalists play everyone for fools it probably won't happen and soon it will be to late.

what was the OP again?
yeah I think Ireland should have its full independance just as I think Canada should too...Iraq and Afghanistan as well...But there is an agenda for world dictatorship and a fuedal rule that is meant to cancell out everything honest men have worked for for the last couple thousand years, and so I don't expect we will get Independance

do you not think the Irish are capable of taking care of them selves?

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   

From a lot of the American Huguenot families I've read up on (I find the topic interesting) the migration path looked something like this, escape France to settle in the Spanish Netherlands, escape there and settle in the Dutch Republic, move from their to England (William of Orange and all that) and then from England to Ireland, back to England again and off to North America.

So your premise in that the Huguenots moved straight to Ireland as a plot against the Irish is in my opinion quite flawed.

And if these people where so loyal to the British crown or indeed the coreligionist Protestants (Huguenots are French Calvinists) why on earth did they go to all those other countries first and then leave to settle elsewhere afterwards.

Not only that why on earth throughout the entire process did they keep THEIR identity.. Even throughout England your find French Churches, French Hospitals...

The Huguenots made their mark on British society that still exists, a mark that shows their own independence, their own identity, Even having a Chapel in Canterbury Cathedral that to this day holds services in French.

Eglise Protestant Francais de Cantorbery

www.frenchchurchcanterbury.org.uk...

On the OPs question, It feels like people (like the EU) will keep asking Ireland the same questions until they get the answer they want to hear rather than the answer Ireland (North or Republic) gives.

[edit on 25/8/10 by thoughtsfull]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   

But The Irish have what they want, as much as any of us has.

The Republic is free from The UK, as they wish; Ulster is part of The UK, as they wish.

What is your problem with that?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join