It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you think ireland should get its full independence

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Do you think ireland should get its full independence

My own question
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Im from the republic of ireland i live in dublin myself i just want to see what the people of the north south and england think. I know its been said many a time but i would like to know how you feel about it . To me north and south does not make a difference we are all people trying to get by in life. Its horrible that the bombings have started again and people are losing there lives all over again my prayers go out to the families but would you think it would make it better if england gave the north back to ireland. I know people from the north who love being part of england will be annoyed with what im saying. Im just asking how you feel now in this day an age.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 17-8-2010 by happydays26]

[edit on 17-8-2010 by happydays26]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
The question is just as complex as it was in the wake of the Home-Rule fiasco. There are people with valid opinions on both sides of the debate, and simply leaving it down to a referendum simply doesn't seem like a valid option anymore.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by happydays26

If Irish people want freedom, then they should have the right to gain it.

If they want to fight for that freedom, they have the right to fight for it. They are the people of that land, forget about the British colonial era, it's over, anyone who wants independent country should have the ability to have it based on choice.

Choice is universal, no one has the right to say other wise, that is why the idea of resistance is accepted universally. Anyone can resist the rule of others.

It is ultimately up to the people of Ireland.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Yes, if your country is sick and tired of outside interests influencing internal matters, you should form your own Republic. From the states so no help on your polling question. Here, you guys can borrow our banner.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
From the replies I have seen so far...what an incredible lack of education in the history of Ireland and its present status .Ireland is a republic...Northern Ireland is part of the UK due to the fact that the majority of its population wishes to remain so

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wyckan
From the replies I have seen so far...what an incredible lack of education in the history of Ireland and its present status .Ireland is a republic...Northern Ireland is part of the UK due to the fact that the majority of its population wishes to remain so

I believe Ireland should have full independence and be allowed to Annex any part of the world that has a Irish Restaurant or Pub!

Using Irish Pubs and Restaurants as a means to unite the world with green beer, and bangers and mash, is the way to properly instill a one world government!

Bono should of course be appointed the first President of the New Irish World Order, but only on the condition he never, ever go bare chested in public (or private) again.

Once the New Irish World Order is in charge we can quickly right the world’s economy by aggressively hunting down all Leprechauns and confiscating their Gold!

Golf shall become the new New Irish World Order sport, eliminating gladiatorial games for ever more!

There is no truth that Tiger Woods is behind all these proposals or funding the New Irish World Order.

I however support it, but am against a Tin Lizzy Reunion tour.

From your Irish Brothers in Arms across the pond!

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
1. Ireland is now simply a state in the EU..... so what independence??

2.A Majority vote of Northern Ireland citizens show that they want to be a part of the UK..... And at the end of the day, it is Majority Rule isn't it. You can't force it.

And to the person that doesn't realize that the Republic of Ireland is already a constitutional Republic.. (Check the word "Republic" before the "Of Ireland" bit..)

Finally, why does Ireland need Independence? The Republic has it.. The North doesn't want it.. the EU is a sovereign entity that we have grown into..

The best you can hope for for Northern Ireland Independence is that they dissolve themselves into the EU as an autonomous region over the next couple of decades.. Similar to what Flanders, Catalonia, Basque and several over EU regions are currently suggesting.. But then again, it is UK funding that keeps them wealthy.. The EU wouldn't help them out half as much.

And lastly, my personal opinion.. Who should really care about such things. There are much bigger fish to fry in this world.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Let Ireland make that decision. I think if Northern Ireland wished to join the Republic, than the UK should honor that and allow them. However if Northern Ireland is happy being a part of the UK than the Republic of Ireland should respect that. It's not up to romanticized well wishers like us to make that decision. Personally I would like to see a united Ireland, but it's not my call.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I believe that England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales are separate countries and should be autonomous.

Europe is full of countries, each with their own autonomy, so I believe it should also happen in Britain.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   

You need to pay more attention to the events of history.

The division only arose in the first place because the population of northern Ireland DID NOT WANT to be part of the republic.

There was a moment, nearly a century ago, when the British government might have contemplated forcing the north to conform with the south, but they drew back from it (look up "Curragh mutiny").
So your idea is that people who do not want to be part of the republic should be "given" (your own word) to the republic against their wills. What kind of perverse definition of independance is that?

And for the benefit of Americans out there; the OP suggestion is exactly analogous to the suggestion that Arizona and California should "regain their independance" by being "given back" to Mexico.

[edit on 25-8-2010 by DISRAELI]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
The divisions in Ireland are deep and complex. Northern Ireland has a distinct reason for not supporting a unified Republican island and most of it leads back to the deep division in religious beliefs and practices.

Ireland is a highly religious country, even those who are not very religious will respond when it comes to the opposing religion trying to force them to conform as they see it.

If the United Kingdom wanted to annex the Republic of Ireland because they believe all of the British Isles should be one, is that right? Wouldn't that be forcing their beliefs on you against your will? And if the Republic of Ireland wanted to annex Northern Ireland because they believe all of Ireland should be one, is that right?

While I strongly support a unified Ireland, I would not support annexation. The only end result of that would be a bloody Irish civil war, and no one wants that. If the people of the whole island of Ireland wish to put their differences aside and unify to be one Republic then it needs to be on mutual grounds, under a strictly secular government and no endorsement of any religion over another. In addition both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland should hold a referendum to guarantee that the majority of both locations agree on the terms of unification.

But until that day Ireland will be divided, the best we can do is try and keep the religious sectarian violence to a minimum and maintain peace, law and order.

[edit on 8/25/2010 by Misoir]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
What right does Britain have to rule anything?
second line

Ps having Huegenot roots I can attest to the fact that Britain squewed Immigration to Ireland for hundreds of years while forcing Catholic immigration just to create a submissive imperial presence in Ireland.

[edit on 25-8-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
What right does Britain have to rule anything?
second line

They have the right to rule any area which wants to continue in that relationship.

Would you care to walk through the streets of Belfast and conduct an opinion poll? Or do you prefer not getting lynched?

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   
With no doubt Ireland deserves to be free
from the brittish opressors.
Irish people are the best.
Long Live Ireland.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ProdigalSon

Provding you're willing to allow the same freedom to those Irish who have always wanted to be free from Dublin-based oppression, that is fine.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   
if there is any real democracy in UK they should call Irish people to vote for or against independence , UK acts about N.Ireland like they are some third world country no one cares what one who should be asked thinks if people wants independence of UK why they wouldn't get it

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

I can safely assume that the Dublin-based oppression is the Brit oppression in disguise.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Mate, to be honest and without any shred of bigotry, I would not be a fan of the North being 'given' back to the Republic.
I'm from just outside Belfast, and increasingly Northern Ireland has valued it's identity as a separate place.
Since finishing Uni and coming back to N.I., I worked for an Architect & Building Surveyors in Belfast and was involved in the start of the re-generation of the 'Titanic Quarter'. The various meetings and awards we went to had an underlying theme of 'Northern Irish Identity'. We are proud of that identity and it is one which is continually beeing built upon.

If we became amalgamated with the Republic, that identity would be stripped from us, not to mention we would be part of the Euro. I don't see that as a positive thing. The Euro isn't as strong as the Pound - it would affect trade in and out of the island and may be of detriment to small businesses, which are being actively encouraged.

My opinion, again, is without any shred of bigotry and is absolutely NOT based on religion. I have so many great friends who are Catholic and I value their friendship. I see past the religion to the person and past the person to the soul.

I think of myself as an Ulsterman first and foremost, Northern Irish second and British as third.
Now living in Newcastle upon Tyne in England, I look forward to the short flight back home to all of what makes Northern Ireland, Nothern Ireland and apart from the violence, I wouldn't change it for the world.

'Giving back' N.I. to the Republic would be like 'giving' back South Africa to North Africa, ALL the countries in Europe to be amalgamated or North and South America to be made to be together - I can't see them being happy about that, could you?

Much love...

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by RandomPunk

Here is what I think - Ireland does NOT need to consult England - they just proclaim independence.

Or is that too difficult?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join