It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Hand account: Florida Beaches Are Polluted With Oil (I was wrong)

page: 14
<< 11  12  13   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
These are new pictures

[edit on 31-8-2010 by pill]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Accidently double posted, not my pictures but they are updated pictures from my aera.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by pill

So what was your assessment of the beach quality?
tar balls, oil sheen, smell?

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by pill

Beautiful Pics!! I am going down to Panama City in two weeks, I hope it looks like that! I haven't been able to get back to Destin or Navarre Beach since early June. Are the pics from Navarre Beach?

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by pill

Beautiful Pics!! I am going down to Panama City in two weeks, I hope it looks like that! I haven't been able to get back to Destin or Navarre Beach since early June. Are the pics from Navarre Beach?

Yes, Navarre beach on scenic route 98. Scenic route 98 is great as there are literally no condos or beach houses for about 20 miles, it's just large sand dunes and pure white sand.

As for the quality of the water and beach, the water is very clear but on occasion has a hazy appearance to it, it doesn't seem as pristine or rich in color as before.

The beach in particular is probably most noticeable, there are black tarballs that come up on the beach and there are workers out there late at night cleaning up the spill. Usually they are driving around in dump trucks, scooters and spraying the beach with some sort of chemicals that break down the oil and dispose of it. There are large buses that bring in hundreds of workers and they are all over the gulf side but if you dig into the sand you can see where new sand has been poured over it. I think that the beaches are primarily being dug up and then flattened and new sand poured on top to sweep the dirt under the rug so to speak. The sand does not seem as soft as it used to be except for areas where the cleanup crew hasn't been able to get to as easily. I've noticed some sea life but not as much as before. I'm supposed to go through diving recertification at fort pickens soon so I will be able to tell how the water is underneath.

Definitely notice a smell on Navarre beach in certain areas where it's strong, Destin there is a bad smell that is noticeable. Lots of little crabs on the beach at night however, ended up finding some large crabs roaming the beaches last night and went running as soon as I turned my flashlight on.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by pill

Great.

Even before the oil spill, the county there has always had beach combers that would come through at night, but I am sure they have stepped up their efforts lately!

When I was down there in June, it smelled like WD40, but there were no reported tar balls yet. The smell was just blowing in from off shore.

A friend of mine just got back from Hawaii, and we both agree that Destin, Ft Walton Beach, Navarre Beach, and Pensacola Beach are the most beautiful beaches in the entire world. He is retired airforce, and he has seen many, many beaches, but nothing compares to the "Emerald Coast" right here on the Florida Panhandle.

It sickens me to think of all the bad things that are happening, and could get worse.

Keep sending those pretty pics, they are encouraging for now. Maybe we can have a drink together in the next couple of weeks? When is Pensacola's Bushwhacker festival? I may ride the motorcycle down for that!

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
my sincere & urgent suggestion to ye: go away from affected areas. bp & gov. have no Conscience & no Mind; they're just burying trouble w\o actual righteous steps.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by pill

Great.

Even before the oil spill, the county there has always had beach combers that would come through at night, but I am sure they have stepped up their efforts lately!

When I was down there in June, it smelled like WD40, but there were no reported tar balls yet. The smell was just blowing in from off shore.

A friend of mine just got back from Hawaii, and we both agree that Destin, Ft Walton Beach, Navarre Beach, and Pensacola Beach are the most beautiful beaches in the entire world. He is retired airforce, and he has seen many, many beaches, but nothing compares to the "Emerald Coast" right here on the Florida Panhandle.

It sickens me to think of all the bad things that are happening, and could get worse.

Keep sending those pretty pics, they are encouraging for now. Maybe we can have a drink together in the next couple of weeks? When is Pensacola's Bushwhacker festival? I may ride the motorcycle down for that!

The bushwhacker event was around the beginning of August but sure we can meet up for a drink sometime, send me a PM when you have time.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Thank you for being on with the Conspiracy Chicks last night, just finished listening to your presentation, your doing an important service for the members of ATS and hopefully beyond.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I'll be down in Panama City Beach next week (17th) and staying on the beach (condo). I'll be taking plenty of pics so I can give a firsthand account of what a "public" (groomed) beach is like compared to what is seen out on an island (Shell Island I think it's called). Will be staying down there in PCB until the 25th.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13   >>

join