It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Hand account: Florida Beaches Are Polluted With Oil (I was wrong)

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Come Clean

Overlord emailed me complimenting the thread and asking to change the title when there were only about 3 replies.

:

Around here we call that a conspiracy.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Come Clean

Originally posted by Scalded Frog

This was my biggest concern when the whole fiasco started. The press will be tired of this and moved on before the real effects are beginning to become apparent. The real devastation will never make the MSM.

Isn't this statement the real agenda? Isn't this the real reason you posted the video's? According to you, the real effects are not here yet. According to you, the real effects will never make the MSM.

Isn't this your original agenda? Keep DIS-HOPE alive. Safe beaches and safe seafood is not a MSM talking point is it?

Keeping the economy stagnant is a legit political strategy. It's really sad to see Americans engaged in their own self interest.

i think you've worked for bp
you're so faithful

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Come Clean

Okay,

I'm from The Great State of Texas. I know what that water looks like. That is without a doubt the Gulf of Mexico water.

I have no doubt about that.

What I can't prove is when the picture was actually taken.

[edit on 16-8-2010 by Come Clean]

Texas huh? I used to drive 10 hours one weekend per month to visit Galveston Beach. It was the closest beach to Missouri. I once rented a house on Tiki Island for a summer.

No wonder you don't understand what Florida Beaches typically look like. Do not use your Texas Beach experience as an example to compare this area to. Not even Corpus Christi comes anywhere close.

If you would like to come see for yourself, I have a spare room! If you can get here, I will take you to the beach myself. No kidding. All you have to do is get here.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
The OP's biggest concern was not the eco system but MSM. That's a fact according to the OP.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   

reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

The Horshoe crabs were the most disturbing. I usually enjoy watching them skim along and eat, and there are always a few dried up shells of them, but yesterday there were several of them doing a weird convulsion-like dance in the water. If I got near them, they would come aggressively toward me, whereas they normally don't even notice a presence.

Story from NPR, It's worth a quick read.

At present scientists think that the dispersents actually accelerated the oil's ability to infiltrate crabs. They have found it in Larvae.

They are finding oil IN the crabs, not just on them.

Crabs Provide Evidence Oil Tainting Gulf Food Web
www.npr.org...

Weeks ago, before engineers pumped in mud and cement to plug the gusher, scientists began finding specks of oil in crab larvae plucked from waters across the Gulf coast.

The government said last week that three-quarters of the spilled oil has been removed or naturally dissipated from the water. But the crab larvae discovery was an ominous sign that crude had already infiltrated the Gulf's vast food web — and could affect it for years to come.

"It would suggest the oil has reached a position where it can start moving up the food chain instead of just hanging in the water," said Bob Thomas, a biologist at Loyola University in New Orleans. "Something likely will eat those oiled larvae ... and then that animal will be eaten by something bigger and so on."

Scientists will be focusing on crabs because they're a "keystone species" that play a crucial role in the food web as both predator and prey, Perry said.

Scientists Find Evidence That Oil And Dispersant Mix Is Making Its Way Into The Foodchain
www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   

The OP's biggest concern was not the eco system but MSM. That's a fact according to the OP.

I think my quote said that my concern was that the MSM would not be covering it WHEN it started affecting the eco system. Therefore they are one and the same. I have no agenda here, other than to report my personal experience. Its not like I have a radio show, and advertising campaign, or even a membership to any other website other than ATS. I don't have a blog. The only thing on my YouTube account was a few videos from Bike Week that I put up so my Uncle could see them before he died. As a matter of fact, it was very painful for me to share my YouTube page, because I had a whole bunch of dancing girls saved to my favorites, and I realized after posting this thread, that someone might be able to see all my viewing history, so I had to delete all my favorites from YouTube.

I have absolutely no agenda here, and nothing to gain from any of this. Sorry to disappoint!

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

That is very interesting! Thank you for the link!

I had no idea. I wonder if the hermit crabs are affected as well? There were a lot of them getting out of the water, maybe they were feeling the effects? I also didn't see a single blue crab. I usually see many of them, but the water was not clear, so they might have been there and not been visible.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
It takes a big man (or woman) to admit "I was wrong" on the internet.

For that alone I salute you.

I also wish you the very best for a speedy recovery of your natural environment.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I'm confused.. probably because I only read a few replies .. but is the first OP real or not.. title says "I was wrong"?

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

He was wrong due to the fact that he changed his position on that the "beaches" are clean issue......

[edit on 18-8-2010 by Cloudsinthesky]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
I'm confused.. probably because I only read a few replies .. but is the first OP real or not.. title says "I was wrong"?

Clouds is right Puck. I have spent the last few months talking about how clean the beaches are, and how the damage was over exaggerated. I never denied that the issue was serious, and had the potential to be devastating, but I was constantly declaring that the beaches were fine and the swimming and seafood was fine.

I have now changed that position completely.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I have now changed that position completely.

But you still think that corexit is "benign" and that it would be better for the crude to be deep in the ocean, instead of on the beaches where it can be effectively collected?

Even though the crude being deep in the ocean, 'dispersed' is FAR more detrimental to the food chain you are now suddenly concerned with?

I think you are upset because its no longer out of site out of mind.

The best place for it is on the beach.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Come Clean, I don't know why you are so adamant on attacking the OP. He is sharing his story and experiences, plus shot video footage and is working with another team to gather samples that will be tested. He is trying to get to find out whether the substance is oil or seaweed. He is sharing a personal experience. If he says he doesn't feel comfortable taking his children to that beach anymore then I think that speaks volumes. There's a big turn around from someone who didn't think there was a problem there to feeling like the environment would make his family sick in a matter of weeks.

Come Clean, the sand beaches in the photos you posted looks pretty white to me. Obviously when sand gets wet it goes darker (That's true of pretty much anything that can absorb or be mixed with water) Sure, there's alot of seaweed and the water isn't the bluest I have ever seen, but I've seen worse.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Please stop the off topic personal comments and stick to the subject at hand.

Thank you

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by justadood

I think we have covered this several times, in several threads already. I think Corexit is no more toxic than the oil itself. I have worked with far worse than Corexit.

There is nothing benign about the whole situation, but Corexit is not the thing to worry about, the whole oil situation is the thing to worry about.

As I have said to you, and in this thread, I "was" a fan of the dispersant idea. It did buy the beaches some time. It did buy some time to get booms in place. It "seemed" to be working for awhile.

After what I saw yesterday, I have admitted that my opinion was wrong. Dispersing the oil did not sink it to the bottom as hoped, instead it just thinned it and spread it equally through the seawater. For the present time, this is a very bad thing. Only time will tell if it is a bad thing overall. Maybe it will disperse so thinly that it spreads through the Earths oceans and Mother Nature will eat it up in a short time? I hope! BUT, maybe it will get into the Earth's food chain and affect every single one of us for many years? I hope not! Still, the oil is the problem, not the Corexit. Maybe the whole idea to disperse it was a problem as well, time will tell.

I don't know how many more ways I can tell you that I admit that dispersing the oil is looking like it was a mistake?

And yes, my opinion has changed now that it has affected me personally. I am human. It was sad and worrisome when it was miles away, but it is a whole lot moreso when it is at my back door!

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
From BP's twitter about 2 hours ago:
Update: Comprehensive testing shows Florida beaches are safe and clean for Gulf visitors.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Not seeing the thread posted by the OP was it deleted ?

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join