It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France urged to repay Haiti billions paid for its independence

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
So Sherlock, based on this statement:

. The Republic of Haiti existed before and during 1950, and continues after 1950.

Should the Haitians be responsible for the Debts of the Governments of Haiti in the early 1800's? Because it is a continuous govt. they made agreements with the French and those agreements should be honored, it is the price they agreed to pay for the freedom they have today. The French have not gone back on their word about no longer enslaving them right? Haiti is not a province of France at this point either, so Haiti should pay it's debt and should not be looking for a retribution payment at the very least, I hope France does not cave to international pressures.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by habfan1968
Should the Haitians be responsible for the Debts of the Governments of Haiti in the early 1800's? Because it is a continuous govt. they made agreements with the French and those agreements should be honored, it is the price they agreed to pay for the freedom they have today. The French have not gone back on their word about no longer enslaving them right? Haiti is not a province of France at this point either, so Haiti should pay it's debt and should not be looking for a retribution payment at the very least, I hope France does not cave to international pressures.

But, the point is that the debt that the government of Haiti owed, was brought about by little more than a ''protection-racket'' instigated by French colonialists, 20 years after their declaration of independence.

Retrospectively, Haiti shouldn't have paid France anything, after their gangster antics of 1825.

France still has that $20 billion that they extorted from the Republic of Haiti.

France needs to repay Haiti the money that they stole. It's as simple as that.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

In business, saying "I really made a mistake back in 1825, pay me back now." usually gets a grin, but not money.

<< 2  3  4   >>

join