It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Sonic Booms Shake Western Washington

page: 1
8
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Sonic Booms Shake Western Washington


www.kirotv.com

SEATTLE -- Sonic booms have shaken a wide area of Western Washington, rattling windows and nerves from Chehalis to Seattle.

Emergency agencies across the region are getting calls from numerous people who heard and felt a double boom about 1:50 p.m.

Viewers from Tacoma, Des Moines and Alki are telling KIRO 7 Eyewitness News they felt the booms.

Here at KIRO 7, two sets of rumbles shook the building at Third Avenue and Broad Street in Belltown.

FAA spokesman Mike Fergus said the agency is checking on the "sonic booms."

There's no sign of seismic activity.
(visit the link for the full news article)


Related News Links:
www.komonews.com
www.king5.com




posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
About half an hour ago two large 'booms' were heard from Napavine to Seattle (nearly 100 miles) news reports say it was sonic booms. Sources say there was an airspace breach, Obama is currently in our state so air traffic is a little screwy today. Let me know what you think....didn't really sound like a sonic boom to me.

www.kirotv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)



posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Ha, I live in an area where apocalyptic deep booms are a normal occurance. The trains at the depot make a terrible sound when they do whatever they do. Attaching cars, I suppose. But I got used to having to wonder if the apocalypse has started (nuke, volcano, asteroid, etc.) at least a few times a day. So I wouldn`t even have noticed... That`s my worst fears confirmed: something serious will happen but I won`t even get up to see the mushroom cloud rising in the distance because I`ll think it was the trains again... lol thanks a lot! :^) I`ll be curious to find out what it really was.


 
Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com
 



posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Updated sources are saying the jets that caused the sonic boom were scrambled from Portland which could explain why it was heard over such a wide range because it's about 170 miles from Portland to Seattle.

Another source is saying the sonic booms knocked out 911 service in Pierce County.

Still don't think it was a sonic boom, hmm.



posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
What could it be other than a sonic boom?

Any ATS Washington area residents experience this first hand? Please describe the events if so.



posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by fasteronfire
 


What makes you think that it wasn't a sonic boom?

What other explanations do you have? Any? Or just a "hunch"?



posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Two F-16s responding to an errant airplane which flew into the no fly zone around Boeing Field where Obama landed today. I felt the two booms myself.



posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I live in Western Washington, I was in the shower and I heard a loud boom quickly followed by another then about 15 seconds later I heard another. It shook the whole house.

I do feel like it would make sense to hear across Western Washington if the jets were scrambled from Portland all the way to Seattle. That is a massive stretch of land.

But on the other hand I don't feel like the whole of the I-5 corridor would have heard it. In my mind I feel like residents closer to Portland should have heard it as the jets were breaking the sound barrier but all the way in Seattle? Do jets also make a boom when they go from faster than the speed of sound to slower? Leaving the sound barrier if you will.

Most likely it's just the conspiracy theorist in me and I want something cool to happen....who knows : )



posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by fasteronfire
Updated sources are saying the jets that caused the sonic boom were scrambled from Portland which could explain why it was heard over such a wide range because it's about 170 miles from Portland to Seattle.

Another source is saying the sonic booms knocked out 911 service in Pierce County.

Still don't think it was a sonic boom, hmm.


The booms didn't knock out the 911 services, the services were loaded with calls about the sonic booms and was practically unusable (your call cannot be connected, we're sorry. Please hang up and try your number again).

The Temp



posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler
 


Yep...this thread.



posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by doctor j and inmate c5779
Ha, I live in an area where apocalyptic deep booms are a normal occurance. The trains at the depot make a terrible sound when they do whatever they do. Attaching cars, I suppose. But I got used to having to wonder if the apocalypse has started (nuke, volcano, asteroid, etc.) at least a few times a day. So I wouldn`t even have noticed... That`s my worst fears confirmed: something serious will happen but I won`t even get up to see the mushroom cloud rising in the distance because I`ll think it was the trains again... lol thanks a lot! :^) I`ll be curious to find out what it really was.


 
Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com
 



i live right by the train depot too. its always BOOMing here as well. truthfully i don't even notice it anymore but people visiting are always like WTF was that.



posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Airspace breach forces Oregon fighter jets to scramble around President Obama's plane, causing sonic booms over Seattle

Oregonlive.com



posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
im just gonna throw out plasma lightining!

maybe with that collapse of the thermosphere we can stir up fresh doom!

/sarcasm

[edit on 17-8-2010 by Wertdagf]



posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
Airspace breach forces Oregon fighter jets to scramble around President Obama's plane, causing sonic booms over Seattle

Oregonlive.com


The title to this article is kind of misleading...or news sources around Washington are misleading. According to local news Obama was already on the ground when the aircraft entered restricted airspace.



posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I live in Pierce County and I heard 3 "booms" which sounded more like large explosions to me. They shook my house almost like an earthquake. There was one initial explosion, and then it took about a minute and a half until we heard the next two, one right after the other. I expected to walk outside and see smoke from something....but there was nothing. It literally sounded like, whatever it was, was coming from a very short distance away.



posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by fasteronfire
 

I didn't write the article... just posting it. Besides, misleading titles seem to be rampant - here and MSM. What's new about that?



posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   


reply to post by fasteronfire I didn't write the article... just posting it. Besides, misleading titles seem to be rampant - here and MSM. What's new about that? Piper96 posted on 17-8-2010 at 04:56 PM


I'm sorry that my response seemed rude, I wasn't going for that at all. I was just pointing out that the different sources all have something different to say so it's probably going to be awhile before we learn all the details. Once again I'm sorry for seeming rude.



posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by fasteronfire
 


Lol... That was supposed to be facetious, but didn't come across well. Sorry. Yes, reports coming in from OR and WA media is a bit all over the place, but that happens when it's early/breaking news and nobody has all the facts. Typical right? Get the story out, as the facts come, I guess.

[edit on 17-8-2010 by LadySkadi]



posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by fasteronfire
...
I do feel like it would make sense to hear across Western Washington if the jets were scrambled from Portland all the way to Seattle. That is a massive stretch of land.

But on the other hand I don't feel like the whole of the I-5 corridor would have heard it. In my mind I feel like residents closer to Portland should have heard it as the jets were breaking the sound barrier but all the way in Seattle? Do jets also make a boom when they go from faster than the speed of sound to slower? Leaving the sound barrier if you will.

Most likely it's just the conspiracy theorist in me and I want something cool to happen....who knows : )


A plane travelling faster than sound creates a shockwave which is mostly cone-shaped and travels with the plane. The shockwave radiates outwards in all directions (mostly) and the boom you hear and feel is the result of the shockwave passing over, around and through you. They can often be heard miles from the path of the plane.



posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I have been at work since 7:30 this morning in Bellevue. My wife heard the sonic booms at our house and she didn't mention it until just a few minutes ago. I heard nothing here in Bellevue. We live in Puyallup and she heard it there. So it's a mystery to me...

Only thing on my mind is why the hell didn't they send jets from Fort Lewis or McChord????




top topics



 
8
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join