It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attention: There Is Already a Mosque Near the WTC Site

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
It was Napoleon who said "I have come to learn most men don't want liberty. Only a small portion of noble-minded men seek it."

And he was right. I see that everyday. Very few people want "Freedom". They would have to allow all people to have that freedom. This just cannot be. There is too much to fear from those who are unlike themselves. They would rather live in a tyranny if it meant the people they fear would be the ones terrorized.

[edit on 18-8-2010 by antonia]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by Gorman91

If it's president was from the westbro baptist church, I would be just as much in questioning of it.

Now there's a thought, lol

That is an awful analogy. The Westboro Baptist Church is a radical sect of Christianity. That would be akin to saying "if it's president was Osama Bin Laden..."

The Muslims behind this are not radical or fundamentalist. They are long standing community members that have made a positive difference in the community in which they live.

[edit - grammar]

[edit on 18-8-2010 by misinformational]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Section31

Communist China don't send suicide bombers world around to kill people. Only Muslims do. Duh. Well, its up to the people, but if you know what is going to happen, I would prevent any Mosques to be built in America.

The ideology of Islam is demonic from the core of it. You can not see it easily, but remember Rashdi wrote the book "Satanic Verses" and he is hiding from the Islamic terrorist threat.

Why should anyone allow such a religion in America is beyond me.

And the army doctor who killed soldiers in the army base was a trained Moslem in a mosque in America. Do you need any more proof?

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Lost in america

Oops video not posted here is a link...
www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by lestweforget
reply to post by badw0lf

You need to wake up to yourself Badwolf, the sheeple think the
moderate muslim is peace loving and no threat. That may be the
case for some in a minority, but change the numbers so that they
are even and you will see a change of heart, cause deep down
they all desire the same thing, sharia law.

Care to share your data with us? I mean, you've obviously done the polling.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by notsoperfect
Why should anyone allow such a religion in America is beyond me.

Let me make it nice and big so that you understand:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

And the army doctor who killed soldiers in the army base was a trained Moslem in a mosque in America. Do you need any more proof?

By your logic, we can't have any more Christian churches either.

en.wikipedia.org...

During the twentieth century, members of extremist groups such as the Army of God began executing attacks against abortion clinics and doctors across the United States. A number of terrorist attacks, including the Centennial Olympic Park bombing during the 1996 Summer Olympics by Eric Robert Rudolph, were accused of being carried out by individuals and groups with ties to the Christian Identity and Christian Patriot movements; including the Lambs of Christ. A group called Concerned Christians were deported from Israel on suspicion of planning to attack holy sites in Jerusalem at the end of 1999, believing that their deaths would "lead them to heaven." The motive for anti-abortionist Scott Roeder murdering Wichita doctor George Tiller on May 31, 2009 was religious.

Oh, wait, that pesky First Amendment is in the way. Too bad.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by notsoperfect
Communist China don't send suicide bombers world around to kill people. Only Muslims do. Duh.

I don't know of many Muslim miners in Bolivia.

www.usatoday.com...

LA PAZ, Bolivia (AP) — An angry miner with dynamite strapped to his chest blew himself up inside Bolivia's congress Tuesday, also killing two police officers, authorities said.

La Paz Police Chief Guido Arandia said the man — whose demand for early retirement benefits underscored the grievances of many low-paid miners in Bolivia — stormed into congress around midday and went to a part of the building away from the congressional chambers.

The miner detonated his vest laced with at least five sticks of dynamite as congressional security police tried to negotiate, killing himself and fatally wounding two of the police, Arandia said

Also, the Tamils are not Muslim:

# Suicide attack by wearing an explosive belt or a bra bomb : Assassination of Indian Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi by Thenmuli Rajaratnam of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE).

# Suicide attack by a bicycle with explosives: Assassination of Sri Lankan President Ranasinghe Premadasa by the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE)

2009 March 10 - LTTE suicide bomber attacks Milad Festival - Akurassa

2009 February 09 - LTTE continues targeting Tamil civilians: suicide bomb attack at IDP rescue centre - Kilinochchi

IGNORANCE DENIED.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by misinformational

As provided for earlier, there is significant data to indicate radicalism with the imam.

reply to post by TheAssociate

That's nice you consider it a fallacy and all, but it very much so is not. Considering several million people did, in fact, die on the words of a few evil men.

Do try to learn where to apply fallacies. This was not one.

reply to post by oozyism

Perhaps you have not volunteered in such places such as this structure?

I have.

Many times the people have lost all or are in the process of loosing all. They get desperate for something to hold onto. People make stupid decisions. Sometimes they don't. Sometimes they do. In as much as many cult is made up of needy people who have no point to life, so too are many religions. The only question is, does this herd have the right Shepard? Regardless of religion, the answer is with the man leading the herd. This man has a past which questions what kind of herd master he is.

Now it is certainly not a good thing. However, the fact is that the vast majority of people who follow religion probably never think outside the basic tenants of what their leader tells them. In many cases they do things they do not desire, but they will do them under the pretext that the ends justify the means or that the end becomes better than the beginning.

When a man looses everything he has, he no longer cares for his life or individuality. He only cares about dieing in such a way that improves the overall condition. In many places this makes them simple farmer people and this is perfectly fine. But in many other places this leads to horrors like children soldiers, suicide bombers, and many other problems.

With such a low graduation rate of 24% of blacks, this makes ample opportunity to radicalize. And if you've ever been in the intercity schools, you'd see just how easily young black men join gangs and do horrible things. They are just as likely to get caught by religious leaders and maybe become a fine gentleman. But there's just as much a chance that religious leader is not a good man and that otherwise fine gentleman will become just another gangmember for a religion instead of a gang.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91

As provided for earlier, there is significant data to indicate radicalism with the imam.

I wasn't involved in the dialogue. Please provide his direct links to radical Islam.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Here are Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf's remarks regarding NYC and 9/11:

I have been Imam of a mosque ten blocks from here for the last 27 years. Our congregation, our faith community, has been... victims of 9/11. From my congregation there have been people who died. From my congregation, my faith community, we were part of those who gave water to the firefighters. We are part of this community, and we intend to be part of this community. We want to rebuild this community. We are working with the other faith communities, because this is what this is all about. This is about the vast majority of moderate Muslims -- who have been and want to continue to be part of the solution.

I have worked with the law enforcement agencies. I was invited by the FBI right after 9/11 to address and to speak to all 1,200 agents in New York City as to how we Muslim Imams can ensure that our mosques will not be grounds for the recruitment of terrorists. We condemn terrorism. We recognize that it exists within our faith community, but we are committed to eradicate it. We cannot do this by ourselves. We need your support. We need your cooperation. We need a coalition of Muslims and non-Muslims together to achieve the common objectives that we as patriotic Americans want to achieve.

I thank you for expressions of support, and I pray that God bless us all -- and bless all of us from the faith communities. I wish to acknowledge the support from other members of other faith communities like Holy Trinity Church and... others from the Tannenbaum Center who have come here to stand with us on this day, and the many other faith leaders who have come to express their expressions of support. I thank you all and may God bless us and bless you all.

Historians regard his statements as the most explicitly peaceful statement of any Imam in the post-9/11 era.

Source

Doesn't sound very radical to me (??)

EDIT to add: Rauf is a Sufi, which is Islam's most mystical and accommodating denomination.

www.time.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
One more pic that tells it like it is.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
They'll attack anyone for their "cause."

It's actually pretty sickening.

[more[
reply to post by Alxandro

Tells us what exactly?

[edit on 8/18/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Watching this video is so eerily and disgustingly similar to watching the racial bigots spit on African-American students during desegregation as they were allowed to attend the "white public schools".

I hope every can see where the hate is originating - This Imam is attempting to unite Americans and rebuild his community. The religious/racial bigots are spitting on him (figuratively).

Thanks for the video Lucidity

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Welcome. I found some of the things yelled at the imam to be despicable. Emotional issue or not, there is no excuse for that kind of behavior. Here's a press conference.

Here are some more facts about him too. It's a blog, but it's enough to kick off someone's additional research. Noteworth items:

In 1997, he founded the American Society for Muslim Advancement to promote a more positive integration of Muslims into mainstream American society. His efforts and profile rose dramatically after the 9/11 attacks when a calm voice was required to explain why greater Islam did not embrace terrorism.

Republican John Bennett, president of the Aspen Institute, was so impressed by the imam's message that he became a co-founder of the Cordoba Initiative which seeks to promote cross-cultural engagement through the Cordoba House in downtown Manhattan.

In November 2004, Feisal Abdul Rauf participated in a round table discussion on religion and government, gaining the respect of U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia.

Feisal Abdul Rauf was dispatched on speaking tours by the past State Department on multiple occasions to help promote tolerance and religious diversity in the Arab and Muslim world. In 2007, he went to Morocco, the UAE, Qatar and Egypt on such missions for the State Department. In February 2006, meanwhile, he took part in a U.S.-Islamic World Forum in Doha, Qatar with Undersecretary of State Karen Hughes.

The following video gives more background.

Daisy Kahn, the imam's wife, explains around 5:10 in this news report (all of which is enlightening, by the way) how the idea for the community center came about and when and tells of other property they attempted to buy first. The followings study supports her premise as to how to integrate into the community and halt radicalization. Study: Build mosques to prevent Islamic radicalism

[edit on 8/18/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Admittedly I would call both sides of the conflict dirty barbarians and worthless scum who lost their humanity. But to say nothing on the matter is nothing short of suspicious.

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Just as I would want a westbro baptist church member as far away from a ymca as possible, I would want a hamas supporter as far away from a cultural center as well.

Hamas nod for Ground Zero mosque
Terror group's leader: 'Have to build it'

Read more: www.nypost.com...

Feisal Abdul Rauf, the imam behind the proposed mosque, and two other leaders of the plan who previously had commented extensively, were silent yesterday.

They did not respond to The Post's phone calls or e-mails about the Hamas endorsement.

Hamas first came up in the mosque debate earlier this summer when Abdul Rauf refused to describe the group as a terrorist organization -- despite the State Department listing that identifies it as such.

Tom Brown, a chief opponent of the mosque, said: "This is what we've been saying . . . Imam Rauf is a radical Muslim who will not call Hamas a terror group."

A retired firefighter who was a first responder on 9/11, Brown lost 100 of his FDNY friends at the Twin Towers.

"How much evidence do we need that this guy is a radical Muslim?" he asked.

"If Rauf really were a bridge builder and an interfaith guy and all the things he professes to be, he wouldn't be doing this to people."

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   

This is called deflecting

Many MANY more people other than Muslims claim that Hamas is a political party... If they are terrorist, then the IDF is just as much terrorists as they are.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   

To support terrorists is very very wrong. At this point, supporting the IDF's decisions is just as bad as supporting Hamas' actions.

Rather than even ask for peace, he said nothing. This is enough for me to see he has biases and interests. Otherwise he would condemn the violence altogether. After all. They call him a man of peace.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Even so, the Imam did not make any comment concerning Hamas... His silence doesn't mean he supports Hamas. That really seems like a reach to say such. Maybe he was just busy that day.

But still, U.S. President Jimmy Carter supports Hamas - where's the outrage?

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
so the 90 other mosques are useless to stop radicalizing young muslims?

it needs to be this one? why?

the pool?

lots of questions why this will be the flagship mosque in NY when there were others for years.

why not expand the one he got already?

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by fooks
so the 90 other mosques are useless to stop radicalizing young muslims?

it needs to be this one? why?

the pool?

lots of questions why this will be the flagship mosque in NY when there were others for years.

why not expand the one he got already?

As has been stated numerous times, this is NOT A MOSQUE.

It is an Islamic community center. Christians, Jews, and Muslims all have these centers in every major metropolitan area.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join