It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attention: There Is Already a Mosque Near the WTC Site

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+28 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
(The headline is taken FROM THE ARTICLE)

Wonkette operative “Evan B.” writes: “The debate over the planned mosque at Ground Zero seems a bit retarded to me; I work directly between the planned mosque and a mosque that has existed before 9/11 and continues to operate to this day. The existing mosque and the proposed mosque are probably 800 feet apart; one city block, let’s say.”

wonkette.com...

Link to article...which will likely anger some of you....but here is the actual webpage to the "Mosque" in reference...

www.masjidmanhattan.com...

[edit on 17-8-2010 by David9176]

mod edit: inflammatory word removed from title

[edit on Tue Aug 17 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

+16 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Not news to anyone who's been paying even the slightest bit of attention. In fact it's in the same neighborhood and is run by the same imam.

GWB and the Marines put a mosque inside the Pentagon in 2006 too, and barely anyone squeaked.

Wonkette as a new site. Interesting

+20 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Don't attempt to use actual logic to dissuade these fools, anything short of Muslims hiding in closets is construed as a part of a massive plot to implement Shari'a law.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Very true. The problem is that the religious bigots don't pay attention, and the ones behind sensationalizing this story are hoping no one else does either.

Star and flag in hopes that many will also to ensure visibility.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

I didn't know. But I'm one of those who didn't think a mosque in that area was a big deal in the first place.....which is why this surprised me that this information isn't EVERYWHERE....or should i be surprised that it's not everywhere? lol

Has this been in the corporate media at all (about the mosque that is ALREADY THERE?) I don't watch any the major corporate news stations anymore so I have no idea.

[edit on 17-8-2010 by David9176]

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
S&F for you David. Though I do not always agree with everything you post I can say you are never hypocritical in your views like much of ATS these days.

Sarah Palin addressed this as hallowed ground; however, also on this block are a Burger King, betting/gambling stores, dive bars, and a strip club.

While the actual WTC site is somewhat sacred to many, those who have lived in NY will tell you that the rest of it is business as usual....

Once again, as I mentioned in another post on the subject, my husband escaped after the first plane hit and he is the first to support the mosque and the potential gay bar beside it.

Why is it the most outspoken opponents are as usual the ones coming from the right...most of whom are not New Yorkers?

Just because you visit once doesn't make you an expert on the subject.

[edit on 17-8-2010 by awake_awoke]

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Interesting take on it by some of you....not everyone against it is a Christian.....however, I guess if it makes you feel better to justify your self hatred by all means use every deragatory word you can for them.........remember it's all in the name of tolerance. Perhaps one day we can all be as smart as some of you and then we'll all get along huh? Wow, another hate thread started just to garner stars and flags, how origional.

[edit on 17-8-2010 by adifferentbreed]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
S&F.

Maybe some of our more bigotted friends here at ATS will learn something here and rethink their small minded ways. I do find they tend not to let the facts get in the way of some good ole' fashioned American right-wing Christian idiocy, but I live in hope.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
You can't expect many people who argue against it to use logic. If their favorite pundit didn't say it, then it isn't reality for them.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

I'm pretty sure this is in my thread called The War for Your Mind: "Ground Zero Mosque" but that sort of presents both sides, so most people haven't been there

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by eightfold

No one seems to want facts when 1.) their emotions are involved and 2.) there's a pretty much a one-sided media blitz going on for their minds.

Seems like some people still think the media is fair and balanced. Or cares about truth and facts and remaining objective.

In addition, one of the very tricky things about this issue is that there are so many "reasons" and so many different factors at play. People are united behind one "cause" but for a dozen different reasons, ranging from the purely emotional and caring, to thinking it's insensitive to the families, to opportunistic reasons (Walid Shoebat and Pamela Geller...sell books and speaking engagements), to the religious and to the political (uniting a faction or getting votes). It's the perfect wedge issue too.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Good topic that will be insulted into oblivion by people who love rights / freedoms / the constitution so much that they're willing to break it in order to allow their bigotry / xenophobia / racism through.

I'd be disappointed if the people behind the mosque / community center project actually decided not to go through with it now because of all of the hatred they've relieved over this.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Your Constitution makes it clear that believers in a religion can own property and build houses of worship, instruction, or meeting as they see fit. Current legal understanding in the USA regards all forms of Islam as a religion on par with all forms of Judaism, Christianity, and Buddhism by way of example. So theoretically the Constitutional point should trump the emotional issues surrounding Ground Zero. At least I thought USAmericans were taking their Constitution more seriously.

The issue raised by those opposed to the mosque -- though barely articulated in a coherent manner -- is that they do not regard Islam as a religion on par with Christianity and Judaism. They see Islam as an enemy of all they hold dear as well as an enemy of the American Way.

I suspect that many USAmericans (and quite a few of my fellow Canadians in western Canada) would likewise posit that Islam in general is an hostile 'ideology' rather than a faith worthy of coverage under the First Amendment. While the argument is without finesse, I believe this is the strongest argument opponents to the new Ground Zero mosque (and opponents of Islam in general) could make if they chose to do so.

[Another issue is the flow of money from Saudi Arabia to build many of these new mosques and Islamic centres. Stop the flow of money from Saudi Arabia into these mosques and communities, and I suspect many would have to close for lack of funds.]

[edit on 17/8/10 by Pellevoisin]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I'm not completely up to speed on this topic so if someone can answer the following it would be appreciated.

Was the new mosque going to replace the existing mosque 800 feet away? If not what purpose was the new mosque supposed to serve seeing as there was one already close by?

Thanks.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

Where in this thread did anyone but you refer to Christianity? I just don't see it.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gargamel
I'm not completely up to speed on this topic so if someone can answer the following it would be appreciated.

Was the new mosque going to replace the existing mosque 800 feet away? If not what purpose was the new mosque supposed to serve seeing as there was one already close by?

Thanks.

Good question, probably just another way to see how far they can push the American people all in the name of tolerance...

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

What's your point? in 5 years there will probably be 4 or 5. You have only proved the arguement that islamia land is closer by one mosque already...

link   
If there's already one there, then that is just more reason that they don't need to put this new one there.

link   
reply to post by Gargamel

Its purpose is to give Muslims another place to worship. Within a mile of my house there are 5 Churches (of various denominations), 3 Mosques and a Buddhist center. The scientologists own the massive house at the end of my road.

What is all the fuss about with this? It's very odd. It's such a shame so many Americans confuse Islam with terrorism, and see the putting (another) mosque near ground zero as somehow 'wrong.' The reality is so different.

edited for poor comma usage.

[edit on 17-8-2010 by eightfold]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Gargamel

The imam's old mosque is approximately half a mile away or 12 city blocks. The imam has had a mosque in the neighborhood for over 27 years. The new Islamic center will be approximately 2 city blocks away from ground zero, has no line of sight to or from ground zero, and will be approximately 13 stories tall, by no means the tallest building in its block of blocks.

More information at this thread if you're interested.

reply to post by hadriana

This is not to be merely a mosque but a community center with an auditorium, pool, public meeting rooms, childrens services, and all sorts of things for the entire community to partake of and participate in.

[edit on 8/17/2010 by ~Lucidity]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join